Port it or Whip it?

Fighting5thSVT

Established Member
I know the whipple is the far better unit, but as far as "bang for your buck", how much better is the whipple than a stage 5+ port from Steigemeier? I may have a great deal on a stock 03 cobra and would plan on doing something with the blower right away. Is it worth the extra $2k+ for the whipple or should I just port it and save the extra $$$ for other parts? The car will never see race fuel and will get only 93 octane pump for as long as I own it. Ill be happy with a 11.99 or better at some point down the road.....

Thanks in advance!

PS- Still may be looking for a Whipped Terminator in the IL area--that would solve all of my problems:D

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Well if you think you're going to be happy with only an 11.99 then go with the port. With drag radials you should be able to run that pretty easy.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
I know the whipple is the far better unit, but as far as "bang for your buck", how much better is the whipple than a stage 5+ port from Steigemeier? I may have a great deal on a stock 03 cobra and would plan on doing something with the blower right away. Is it worth the extra $2k+ for the whipple or should I just port it and save the extra $$$ for other parts? The car will never see race fuel and will get only 93 octane pump for as long as I own it. Ill be happy with a 11.99 or better at some point down the road.....

Thanks in advance!

PS- Still may be looking for a Whipped Terminator in the IL area--that would solve all of my problems:D

well how much are you looking to spend.

my car has a 2.3 whipple, its DSG and is soon to be auto.
i would hate to part with it...but everything has a price......

it has the "tick" and i am still working on fixing it.

have not even thought of a price yet.

40k on the motor, every mod possible except bottom end done.

the ticking has been going on for 20k miles....so im positive it isnt bottom end.

anyways...maybe you can drive down and check it out.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
If your gonna spend a few G's, go Whipple. You never know how you will feel down the line and want more power..

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd do the Whipple. I've known three guys with ported blowers and two of them went twin screw and one has a Whipple sitting in his garage.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Friend of mine has a ported blower making around 480 to the tire and ran an 11.2x@129 on some slicks. He was 11.6-11.7's on drag radials. Go with a ported blower and get some other mods with the saved money.

Tremor

NO MERCY
Go Whipple, you'll have room to grow

Enjoy a members recent Whipple Vid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkDUr2pIgRU"]YouTube - 04Cobra13's Cobra[/ame]

:rockon:

Steve2050

Established Member
A ported Eaton is a great mod but cannot compete with a twin screw on the top end. That being said there is more than just the blower cost to consider. Supporting mods for a Whipple will include injectors,maf,BAP or pumps, and a custom tune also. I'm currently piecing together all the stuff I'll need for a Whipple.

Fighting5thSVT

Established Member
A ported Eaton is a great mod but cannot compete with a twin screw on the top end. That being said there is more than just the blower cost to consider. Supporting mods for a Whipple will include injectors,maf,BAP or pumps, and a custom tune also. I'm currently piecing together all the stuff I'll need for a Whipple.

So right now you are running yours ported...but going to upgrade to a Whipple? Not fast enough for you either eh?????

How is the heat problem with the ported eatons? I know the whipples run much cooler, but is heat a smaller or bigger problem when you port a stock one?

Thanks for all the replies!

ttk53

Established Member
well if you only want 11.99's then you dont even need a port. pulley,tune,intake, exhaust will get you 11's

vulture

Established Member
If you want to spend the cash , go twin screw . If your going for speed on a budget , Port it and spray a 75 shot. These eatons dont mind a little spray.

Fighting5thSVT

Established Member
Budget is an issue....if I chose the Whipple- that would about blow the $$ I have for mods for awhile. How true is this statement from the Whipple homepage?

This direct bolt-on replacement system dramatically lowers supercharger air temperatures and power consumption (hp) versus the factory Eaton roots-type supercharger. The complete bolt-on system comes with all the necessary parts for 13lbs of boost which requires zero modifications to the engine or PCM.

Would it be safe to run it for awhile on the stock tune right out of the box???

Users who are viewing this thread