Ported intake manifold

whitecobra2387

Established Member
Guys I've tried searching this up cause I remembered reading something about Shaun at AED porting his stock manifold. Has anyone experimented this??? I also did google search and nothing :(. I know in the lsx motors gains can be 5rwhp - 15rwhp depending what manifold they are porting. I was considering a boss manifold until my buddies cars were dead even with the same mods except one had the manifold and the other did not, I was like WTF..... Have guys experienced the same results ?????

BPatterson

Established Member
Give Corey at ls2portworks a call, and see what he has to say. The stock 5.0 manifold is very similar to LSx manifolds.

whitecobra2387

Established Member
That ain't bad every little bit helps lol I know boss manifold is supposedly give like 20 hp lol but sure didnt seem that way from experience watching my buddies run

BPatterson

Established Member
Your buddy with the boss manifold.....was he shifting where he shoulda been shifting....ie 74-7500? Also, is he tuned for it?

ViciousJay

Established Member
That ain't bad every little bit helps lol I know boss manifold is supposedly give like 20 hp lol but sure didnt seem that way from experience watching my buddies run

nope, it doesnt give you 20hp it keeps you in your powerband after the stocker begins falling off

BPatterson

Established Member
That's making more power. The sticker falls off around 67-6800, where the Boss continues to pull. So if you look at a dynograph between the two, the Boss is making more power beyond that point than a stocker.

ViciousJay

Established Member
That's making more power. The sticker falls off around 67-6800, where the Boss continues to pull. So if you look at a dynograph between the two, the Boss is making more power beyond that point than a stocker.

consider it that if you want but it almost begins to flat line across

twistedneck

Established Member
I'd think there were some gains to be had porting the boss intake.. i posted a picture of the horrible 90 degree offset line between upper and lower halves of the boss intake. I considered removing this during my install but was not sure if it was designed in or not.

The factory intake also has a slight offset from the upper and lower injection mold castings but its not as deep and not as close to the combustion chamber.

ideally you can use a cobra jet intake or the MMR type sheet metal intake fully ported.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Thanks for the link. Nice to see the gains on essentially a free mod minus some labor with a dremel and sand paper. The only downside is it would require some minor tune adjustments to utilize the slight flow change.

cbrtrx

Established Member
I ported my stock manifold and saw a consistent 1mph in the 1/4. I then sold it to my friend that picked up 1mph on his car as well. I then installed the boss intake and a retune and it gave me another 1mph over the ported stocker but honestly the gain was from the retune, those were just my results.

86merc

Established Member
Thanks for the link. Nice to see the gains on essentially a free mod minus some labor with a dremel and sand paper. The only downside is it would require some minor tune adjustments to utilize the slight flow change.

I remember Shaun said it was mainly cleaning up casting flash and matched the port opening to the heads. The problem is that tweaking the tune really is needed to take full advantage of the changes in the intake.

I would like to see what just a clean up on a intake would do to on a stock tune car. If cbrtrx's type of results are typical that is a nice improvement for that.

Drew, if you come across a stock intake let me know. I wouldn't mind taking one to Paul to see what he thinks can be cleaned up and done with it.

86merc

Established Member
I have one from my car if anyone wants it.
Ya, how much. I have access to a dyno and have a buddy that is a head porter that I have used for years. Would love to try it as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. haha

01bluesnake

Established Member
Ya, how much. I have access to a dyno and have a buddy that is a head porter that I have used for years. Would love to try it as long as it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. haha

If you want to grab it, either way works but I may pull mine off next week depending on when kurgan is coming in. I would need him to go in and do my tivct adjustments since the PRP doesn't allow it. I have enough porting tools between work and home so just going to do mine.

Users who are viewing this thread