Porting a cobra jet manifold

fordman2012

Established Member
So I have recently purchased a cobra jet manifold and during my research I stumbled on this thread talking about cleaning up the manifold and yielding pretty significant gains across the power band.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?955953-Cobra-Jet-manifold-reworking
Looking at the pictures it really does not look like a hard project but maybe a little time consuming. My question to you guys is, how many of you are porting your own manifolds, how hard is it, and if you are having someone else do it who are you sending it to?

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited:

WIST2013GT

Established Member
I did my boss manifold. Never ported anything before so I went out and bought a dremel and some wheels and took my time. Best advice from me is to go slow and start very lightly. You can always port more but you cant put it back.

fordman2012

Established Member
I did my boss manifold. Never ported anything before so I went out and bought a dremel and some wheels and took my time. Best advice from me is to go slow and start very lightly. You can always port more but you cant put it back.
sounds good and thanks for the advice! I do have a dremel and I feel like I have a steady hand! Did you need to use motorcraft silicone to fill any grooves in?

KushBandit

Established Member
I ported my Cobra Jet manifold. Used a dremel and cleaned up the intake ports. injector boss's, and the throttle opening. I used a 2-part resin to fill in the area by the throttle opening.

It's very simply, just take your time.

fordman2012

Established Member
I ported my Cobra Jet manifold. Used a dremel and cleaned up the intake ports. injector boss's, and the throttle opening. I used a 2-part resin to fill in the area by the throttle opening.

It's very simply, just take your time.

Great thank you! Any tips that you would have that made it go easier or just take my time.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I've been porting for about 16 years. It's easy as long as you have the right tools and patience.

fordman2012

Established Member
I've been porting for about 16 years. It's easy as long as you have the right tools and patience.

Awesome thank you! Any tips that you have or spots to take extra caution with? I have a nice Dremel with bits and can get some sandpaper. Do you recommend starting with a wet sanding with a something like a 220 grit sandpaper and then progressively working to something finer like a 2000 grit sandpaper?

01bluesnake

Established Member
Just take your time, and be uniform across the manifold in changes. Run the dremel on lower speeds with heavy grit rolls, too fast and you will melt and heat up the plastic. I also use cutting bits to shape the injector boss, but take a little off at a time when getting close to final shape, clean off burrs and make sure even with the rest. I don't use epoxy resin at the entrance or the runners, instead a very strong automotive silicone, that in the case of some ever coming free, won't scratch the cylinders if it was to pass through. When doing final passes i use a lighter grit flap wheel, and a little more speed to clean, smooth any roughed areas from the initial porting. Just take your time, and have patience.

fordman2012

Established Member
Just take your time, and be uniform across the manifold in changes. Run the dremel on lower speeds with heavy grit rolls, too fast and you will melt and heat up the plastic. I also use cutting bits to shape the injector boss, but take a little off at a time when getting close to final shape, clean off burrs and make sure even with the rest. I don't use epoxy resin at the entrance or the runners, instead a very strong automotive silicone, that in the case of some ever coming free, won't scratch the cylinders if it was to pass through. When doing final passes i use a lighter grit flap wheel, and a little more speed to clean, smooth any roughed areas from the initial porting. Just take your time, and have patience.
Thanks man! How much do you charge if you don't mind me asking. I live in Milwaukee so im not very far from you I don't think!

Users who are viewing this thread