possible bent axle from factory in my 2013 5.0??

D.T.R

Established Member
Gotcha.
Now, what could happen if you don't fix this issue? does it hurt traction? can it hurt any other components of the rear end?

stangn

Established Member
I'm just finishing my custom fab 9". I just can't see fighting a losing battle with the new 8.8 axles or gears. Will post pics when done.

D.T.R

Established Member
if i bend an axle and Ford doesn't want to warranty it, it'll be time to beefen up the rear a lil bit. The 8.8 is pretty stout as it is...

pufferfish

Established Member
That is not the case. It is not the gear itself. It is the specs they use to set it up. I had a gear replaced under warranty and set per factory specs. It made noise. It was replaced again under warranty but this time with specs I asked the mechanic to use. Almost no noise at all. If I had the factory control arms with the rubber bushings I doubt I would hear it at all. Several other people have swapped gears and tightened up the pinion preload and had much reduced noise. I am sure ford sets them up so they last the longest under different conditions. But that noise can be load and annoying for sure.

Can you share the specs you had them use on your gears? I changed gears from 3.73 to 3.55 partially because of whine, but it whines just as much. I think the installer just used factory specs...maybe didn't even change the shims from the 3.73's?

nordy racer

Established Member
i just saw my on the dyno and the reaar driver side was moving weird.. i was thinking i didnt installed the rims correctly so i double checked the tq but it still wobbles.. i guess mine is bent also..
i think Ford would laugh me out the door if i showed up with my set up and asked for it to be replaced under warrenty. i guess i'll deal with it..

2012 auto..

StangingAround

Established Member
Same thing happened to me dude at 1k miles. Took it in to the dealer and they said I had bent axles. They replaced them under warranty but were a bit hesitant to do so. Ford putting cheap ass axles in a car with this much power.........weaksauce.

hdmlnium1

Established Member
I talked with the service manager just before lunch. He said the driverside rear axle has excessive run out. Factory defect he thought. He is waiting for Ford to call him back with how they want to fix it.. I'll keep you all in the loop as I hear more..
Bill

hdmlnium1

Established Member
Ok. Car seems to be fixed.
They ended up replacing the,
Rear axle
Bearing assembly
New gear oil and friction modifier

The paperwork said the rear axle had 18mm runout
Excessive so they replaced it and the short ride home I didn't hear the chirping noise anymore. The next test will to be to get it on the highway and see if the rear end gears still howl. They said it should be fine now so lets hope this is over..
Thanks, Bill...

pufferfish

Established Member
I am going to guess that was 1.8mm runout, which is bad...18mm runout is like what the grizwald family truckster looked like after getting back on the road after jumping the broken bridge in the desert!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ok. Car seems to be fixed.
They ended up replacing the,
Rear axle
Bearing assembly
New gear oil and friction modifier

The paperwork said the rear axle had 18mm runout
Excessive so they replaced it and the short ride home I didn't hear the chirping noise anymore. The next test will to be to get it on the highway and see if the rear end gears still howl. They said it should be fine now so lets hope this is over..
Thanks, Bill...

Glad to hear

Ray mafnas 47

Ok I've been looking through the posts and didn't find any mention of this problem.
I have a 2013 5.0 m-82 6-speed car with the optional 3:73 rear gears..
I've had a rotational squeak since I bought the car and it has seemed to get worse over a little time.. I also noticed about three days after I bought the car on went on the highway for the first time and I have a rear end Howell..
At my first oil change at 1000 miles I asked my mechanic what he thought the squeak was. He thought I had a warped driversside rear rotor. So I blew it off for a while. Anyway I ordered Four new rotors and I just changed them last night. It still makes the same noise and my mechanic now thinks my axle may be bent. Maybe also why the rear end howells..
Before I bring it in to the dealership I thought I would check on the forum if anyone else had this problem or heard about anyone having this issue..
Thanks, Bill...
Check your axles, I own a 2012 Mustang gt and I had a metal to metal sound that just wouldn't go away.. Thought it was brake hardware clips rubbing but it wasn't. Tried shaving rotors changing brake pads and getting new hardware clips but still noise was there're. Removed tires and looked at brake calipers and Tada! could see brake calipers dancing in and out (mind you I secured rotors with lug nuts. Bought new axles and everything was gone no metal on metal noise. Tried to take to dealer but they weren't any help . They said it was due to me dragging car from time to time. Just do it yourself easy and no dealer BS! Take a little heat to abs ring and a pry bar and your good as gold. Also a piece of 2×4 to seat abs right into place and badabing, YOUR DONE!

Users who are viewing this thread