Possible DIY light weight racing battery option?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Somehow I stumbled upon this YouTube video of a guy that made a few "booster" packs out of Supercapacitors that weigh close to nothing compared to most regular car batteries. So naturally I started thinking about the weight savings and then sure enough in a few of his other videos he weighs them and eventually comes up with one that weighs less than a pound and starts his car every time without effort.
Apparently these booster packs can be made for around $50 and while I probably wouldn't leave this in my car all the time, it seems like a dam good alternative to a trunk mounted battery or ultra expensive light weight racing battery. I'm certainly no electrical engineer, but it seems feasible. Any ideas here on this?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GPJao1xLe7w

Check the guys other videos and you'll see the really small one he made that weighs less than a pound.

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Odyssey PC 680

Gotsvt? And myself have a idea we are working on which I think a lot of gt500 guys would dig. We just gotta get together and start fabbing.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
So do you think this supercapacitor would work like the video shows or no? Dam I mean if you could get the capacitors and what you need to combine them for under $50, why bother spending over $100 on a racing battery and it would be still half the weight.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
That's pretty freaking cool...not exactly a show piece but some type of plastic housing ro put it all into would make it look mint..5lbs...I'm in...even the pc680 @ 11lbs but is much more compact would double that things weight.

Nsssane1

Established Member
Man I don't see any of the cap's online, the ones I see are like $50 or so??

I'm gonna try the Big crank 14 battery, I heard it works and run it on my ski so in a few weeks its coming off the ski and on my car for testing. $72 shipped and 11 or 12 lbs. I'll have to weigh it for exact weight. I'll test it till spring and see how it goes.
Big Crank ETX14 Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I found the D-cell ones for $12 each without even trying hard. You need to hone your google foo young grass hopper...

Users who are viewing this thread