Possible purchase of supercharged 1997 Viper GTS

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
viperalley.com is probably the most helpful Viper forum.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Driveviper is equivalent to the old GT500 forum...pretty dead.

Gotcha, thanks for letting me know.

Also so everyone knows pictures of the supercharger dipstick and dynograph have been added to the original post.

Is anyone able to tell if it is the 2.4L Kenne Bell or the 2.8L by the pictures?

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Just walk away from that car. Unless you want to get into a project and can negotiate the price you need to let this one go.

There are other good Vipers out there, I walked away from quite a few before finding the right one. A car with any amount of age is going to require you to have some good attention to detail. If you really want a Viper, get on the forums and tell people what you are looking for, explain in detail exactly what you want and what is unacceptable. You will get leads and offers.

That was how I found my car, it was never listed for sale but the guy I bought it from seen my post and put out a feeler. It was a perfect match based on my specific criteria and was a fair price.

And yes, as you discovered that car is broken. Vipers are kind of misleading though, as an 03 owner I can tell you that the Cobra feels very unruly compared to the Viper (some people would think that means the Cobra is stupid fast) but my Viper is not only quicker than my Cobra but a better car all around. On top of that, getting the Viper to move out is effortless compared to the Cobra. It hooks and moves without drama, very unlike the Cobra.
I was afraid of the Viper at first because so many people in the past said it was ridiculous to handle because it was huge power when it was made, I found it incredibly easy to handle.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Just walk away from that car. Unless you want to get into a project and can negotiate the price you need to let this one go.

There are other good Vipers out there, I walked away from quite a few before finding the right one. A car with any amount of age is going to require you to have some good attention to detail. If you really want a Viper, get on the forums and tell people what you are looking for, explain in detail exactly what you want and what is unacceptable. You will get leads and offers.

That was how I found my car, it was never listed for sale but the guy I bought it from seen my post and put out a feeler. It was a perfect match based on my specific criteria and was a fair price.

And yes, as you discovered that car is broken. Vipers are kind of misleading though, as an 03 owner I can tell you that the Cobra feels very unruly compared to the Viper (some people would think that means the Cobra is stupid fast) but my Viper is not only quicker than my Cobra but a better car all around. On top of that, getting the Viper to move out is effortless compared to the Cobra. It hooks and moves without drama, very unlike the Cobra.
I was afraid of the Viper at first because so many people in the past said it was ridiculous to handle because it was huge power when it was made, I found it incredibly easy to handle.

I am going to see if I can get the dealer to either negotiate pretty significantly on the price or to have them have the vehicle repaired to my standards and pay the list price on the vehicle. But at that point I would expect to put it on the dyno, have it checked out by the shop of my choice, & a test drive to ensure everything functions as it should.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I have been doing a lot of thinking on the vehicle. I don't think the Viper would have put down those numbers without any boost what so ever if you factor in the parasitic loss from the supercharger. I am wondering if the car is only making a fraction of the 5-6lbs it is supposed to make.

Does anyone happen to have any idea what could cause the supercharger to make partial boost?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have been doing a lot of thinking on the vehicle. I don't think the Viper would have put down those numbers without any boost what so ever if you factor in the parasitic loss from the supercharger. I am wondering if the car is only making a fraction of the 5-6lbs it is supposed to make.

Does anyone happen to have any idea what could cause the supercharger to make partial boost?

Problem with the internal bypass valve, maybe its stuck open, venting boost? If it is not a simple fix, then I do agree with the others saying pass on this one. There are too many nice and nearly immaculate vipers out there. This is a bucket list car for me someday and no way I'd settle on one that has problems.

nxhappy

Established Member
not to mention you don't know who tuned it right? This whole time it might be a shitty tune with lean AFR and too much timing. Only God knows what the motor looks like inside.

If I were you I would buy a stock Viper or stock-ish.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
From what I have found out is it was worked on and tuned with Dan Cragin, I spoke with him today regarding the car. I am highly considering purchasing it now that I know Dan is the one who did the work.

Users who are viewing this thread