Possible to check MAF?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Car isnt wanting to idle. Wondering if my MAF was damaged when my air filter fell off. Anyway to test just the MAF and how its reading? I don't have a SCT handheld or anything.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
not without datalogging i dont think. unless theres someway to use a voltmeter to read the output, but you'd have to ask mark olsen bout that

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
not without datalogging i dont think. unless theres someway to use a voltmeter to read the output, but you'd have to ask mark olsen bout that

Would it be possible to just take the MAF to a tuner to have it checked, do you think?

Mark Olsen, get your electrical Einstein self in here and help me out.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Would it be possible to just take the MAF to a tuner to have it checked, do you think?

Mark Olsen, get your electrical Einstein self in here and help me out.

No, the maf will have to be tested in the tube and position you have it for accurate results.

97RioRedSnake

SVT
Established Member
With the car running at normal operating temperature, voltage from the MAF should be 0.8 volts at idle. Voltage may vary slightly depending on actual vehicle load and temperature. This is per Ford specifications.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I'd suspect a vacuum leak before bad MAF.

Get some starting fluid, have someone start the car, and spray it all around the vacuum lines and around the intake.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
What 97RioRedSnake said. If you have to give it some throttle to keep the car running, the voltage should go higher. Basically, higher voltage with higher RPMs.

I also agree with ESVEETEE. Check for vacuum leaks and check the IACV hoses too.

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
The starting fluid method never works for me. What all is done to your car? I take it a vortech? Have you physically examined the MAF? Look at the wire on the inside and make sure it isn't broken. Make sure the little wire is clean. Also check the pins and make sure none of them got damaged or pushed. Was the MAF hooked up when it fell? If soake sure none of the wires broke. What kind of MAF?

And I've used that method of smoke checking. It doesn't work the greatest and you have to make sure the TB is plugged off really tight alone with the tail pipes.

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
The starting fluid method never works for me. What all is done to your car? I take it a vortech? Have you physically examined the MAF? Look at the wire on the inside and make sure it isn't broken. Make sure the little wire is clean. Also check the pins and make sure none of them got damaged or pushed. Was the MAF hooked up when it fell? If soake sure none of the wires broke. What kind of MAF?

And I've used that method of smoke checking. It doesn't work the greatest and you have to make sure the TB is plugged off really tight alone with the tail pipes.

I'm lucky. I get to use a professional smoke machine from a local shop. Works like a champ.

pacific4v

Established Member
Jusy unplug it and see if it runs better with it unplugged. That works on stock vehicles at least. It'll go to a default mode if its unplugged

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Hpx maf and ill try to unplug it see what it does. If not, ill take it to a shop to get a smoke test done.

Users who are viewing this thread