Possibly purchasing a local Terminator - Anyone know the car?

DJG

Established Member
So I'm going to view a 2003 DSG with 7,950 and an aluminator long block that was installed 1,200 miles ago. Seems like a great deal, but I just found out from a friend that has met the owner on several occassions, that he blew the stock motor with a whipple (being the reason for the aluminator). Other than that, the car has quite a few tasteful mods including a full cage. Hence, I'm just curious if anyone knows this person and/or his car. His name is Paul (I'll withold his last name, as I feel that's giving too much personal info), the car is from Elma, and he ran at Pacific Raceways quite a bit, I believe.

Your insight/opinions about this car would be greatly appreciated. I'll be looking at the car tomorrow, but additional history that he may not offer would be fantastic. If the car checks out, I'd love to pick it up, but I really don't want something that's been beat to sh*t, as it will see quite a bit of street use along with track use (drag and road race).

Thanks in advance. :beer:

Danny G.

Last edited:

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
See my sig. The Paul in it, is the Paul who owns the car you're looking at.

The car is very clean, and very well maintained.

The original motor didn't pop from abuse. Something came loose or blew off while making a pass at the track and the motor got hurt.

Paul (the owner) and Mike (another Cobra guy from Elma) have helped me a lot with my Cobra. Mike has an excellent garage setup with a full lift, and I guarantee you any attention, no matter how small, that Paul's Cobra has needed, it has gotten it.

Buy it and enjoy it :beer:

j0hn

Established Member
I talked to him on that cobra too. Seems like a good guy and is a really good deal. It's bad timing on my part but that car was super high up on my list. If you read this, sorry Paul.

DJG

Established Member
I talked to him on that cobra too. Seems like a good guy and is a really good deal. It's bad timing on my part but that car was super high up on my list. If you read this, sorry Paul.

Yeah, I went and met with him last Sunday and drove the car. He seemed a like a straight shooter, and the car felt pretty tight, all around. Only problem was that I didn't have a chance to open it up at all because it was p*ssing cats and dogs... So, I'd like to take it for one last spin on a day that I can see how it feels/sounds when put under a little pressure. But I like what I've seen thus far.

Lethal SVT97

BLUEVNM
Established Member
paul's a straight up guy. he spent lots of cash on that cobra. he knows his stuff and everything is done right. $20k is a bargain. low mileage, full drag suspension, level 5, the list goes on. i would buy this car if i don't have a cobra already.

DJG

Established Member
paul's a straight up guy. he spent lots of cash on that cobra. he knows his stuff and everything is done right. $20k is a bargain. low mileage, full drag suspension, level 5, the list goes on. i would buy this car if i don't have a cobra already.

Yeah, I'm just trying to work through my finances//. I really like the car and mods done, but the drag suspension unfortunately doesn't do much for me as I want to convert it into a road race car. However, some of of those parts can be utilized for road racing.

Anyways, on a side note, your car is ridiculous... Pretty much exactly what I was looking for - An SB vert to build up and put a cage in. Something about a vert with a cage just makes my day. Well done! :beer:

Tylerb59

Established Member
Paul brought my car back to life and is an exceptional member of the car community.

His car was my idol for a long time and if I had spare room I'd love to pickup his car as a toy.

To be frank, these cars are over six years old now and the nature of the vehicle is to be used tougher then your Mom's Camry. Some can be ragged out piles, but you must keep an open mind to the fact modifications are the norm and it's a pure BS anyone truely babies their car. What a waste to keep a car overly garaged unless it's a pure museum piece.

Paul takes great mechanical care of his vehicles and that's a fact.

I blew through a motor and my second whipples as a product of high hp. By purchasing a vehicle like this you assume the responsibility to keep on top of it as they wear down parts (clutches ... TIRES :) ) quickly.

Paul's car has been on CL for a long time because people are scared of modified cars. They want to be the one to bust that seal, but as soon as someone else does it's a blacklisted by the anal retentive.

The reality is there is a brand new engine in there, with better performance output via lighter weight.

During it's time, there was (and in some respects still remains) no better bang for buck power car and the 03/04 Cobra is a legend. You'll love Paul's car. It's a strong runner.

Last edited:

DJG

Established Member
Paul brought my car back to life and is an exceptional member of the car community.

His car was my idol for a long time and if I had spare room I'd love to pickup his car as a toy.

To be frank, these cars are over six years old now and the nature of the vehicle is to be used tougher then your Mom's Camry. Some can be ragged out piles, but you must keep an open mind to the fact modifications are the norm and it's a pure BS anyone truely babies their car. What a waste to keep a car overly garaged unless it's a pure museum piece.

Paul takes great mechanical care of his vehicles and that's a fact.

I blew through a motor and my second whipples as a product of high hp. By purchasing a vehicle like this you assume the responsibility to keep on top of it as they wear down parts (clutches ... TIRES :) ) quickly.

Paul's car has been on CL for a long time because people are scared of modified cars. They want to be the one to bust that seal, but as soon as someone else does it's a blacklisted by the anal retentive.

The reality is there is a brand new engine in there, with better performance output via lighter weight.

During it's time, there was (and in some respects still remains) no better bang for buck power car and the 03/04 Cobra is a legend. You'll love Paul's car. It's a strong runner.

Thanks for the input - I'm pretty sold on the integrity of the vehicle and the owner. I was only trying to make sure I wasn't buying something that I was going to have to turn around and drop $1,000+ on as the result of an expensive part breaking. I feel fairly confident now that this will not likely be the case.

Thanks again guys :beer:

whippledsonic

Established Member
i can vouch for this cat and his cobra. we built both our cars and bought only the best. yes he did have a engine failure. vacuum line came off when the he was making a hard pull and burned it down.:fm: so he bought a new aluminator and we did the install in my shop. car is strong and everything is correct. trust me,ive tried talking him out of selling the car and we are trying to figure his finances so he can keep it, but so far its still for sale. hate to see it go but if it sales it will help him towards his new goal. mid 11 eaton car all day long. paul has been best bud for 20+ years and his word is golden. no b.s. as you can see from other replies others think that to. good luck and hope you guys can reach an agreement. we work on others cars and cobras when asked and if you buy it and need some mod work done,(like setting it up for road corse) let us know, be glad to help. i have a car hoist and can do quite a bit.:beer:

DJG

Established Member
i can vouch for this cat and his cobra. we built both our cars and bought only the best. yes he did have a engine failure. vacuum line came off when the he was making a hard pull and burned it down.:fm: so he bought a new aluminator and we did the install in my shop. car is strong and everything is correct. trust me,ive tried talking him out of selling the car and we are trying to figure his finances so he can keep it, but so far its still for sale. hate to see it go but if it sales it will help him towards his new goal. mid 11 eaton car all day long. paul has been best bud for 20+ years and his word is golden. no b.s. as you can see from other replies others think that to. good luck and hope you guys can reach an agreement. we work on others cars and cobras when asked and if you buy it and need some mod work done,(like setting it up for road corse) let us know, be glad to help. i have a car hoist and can do quite a bit.:beer:

Well hi, Mike. Heard quite a bit about you and your car when I met with Paul. I think he and I have reached an agreement and now all there is left to do, for me, is take it for a spin on a dry day so I can get into the throttle and make sure everything sounds/feels alright under those conditions; and to start it up when cold. He gladly agreed to let me do both and, as long as it checks out, as I suspect it will, I'll be driving that beast home! :banana:

And hey, I really appreciate the offer to assist with future mods to the car - I plan on swapping that ported Eaton for a KB or Whipple at some point, which I have no experience with. I've done numerous turbo swaps, but never messed with a roots type blower... Plus that hoist would come in real handy for the IRS bushing upgrade I'd be looking to do in the not too distant future.

As for right now, I'm pretty damn excited... :beer:

whippledsonic

Established Member
Well hi, Mike. Heard quite a bit about you and your car when I met with Paul. I think he and I have reached an agreement and now all there is left to do, for me, is take it for a spin on a dry day so I can get into the throttle and make sure everything sounds/feels alright under those conditions; and to start it up when cold. He gladly agreed to let me do both and, as long as it checks out, as I suspect it will, I'll be driving that beast home! :banana:

And hey, I really appreciate the offer to assist with future mods to the car - I plan on swapping that ported Eaton for a KB or Whipple at some point, which I have no experience with. I've done numerous turbo swaps, but never messed with a roots type blower... Plus that hoist would come in real handy for the IRS bushing upgrade I'd be looking to do in the not too distant future.

As for right now, I'm pretty damn excited... :beer:

no problem, i've done many whipples (my preferance) and also did my irs bushings. big job ( took me a few days) took my time to make sure it was all good. if you get the cobra and decide to add some mods, let me and paul know before you buy anything and we will point you in the right direction and if you want help with install, we can work something out.:beer:

whippleblown03

Established Member
Did this get sold Paul? Noticed the ads got pulled off of CL.

Got a check and waiting for it to clear the bank. 99% it gone. Dude has an 03 cobra already and is wanting an upgrade with out doing and buying all the add ons. A am a little sad but i need to take care of my living status first.

R3dn3k Flyby

Vivid Racing
Established Member
Got a check and waiting for it to clear the bank. 99% it gone. Dude has an 03 cobra already and is wanting an upgrade with out doing and buying all the add ons. A am a little sad but i need to take care of my living status first.

I'm sure you'll be sorry to see it gone, but you'll have a GT500 in your driveway in no time :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread