Post Pueblo NASA Event

95R#177

Established Member
The weather held out at Pueblo, but I drove through two snow showers to get there, and two coming home.

I drove in HPDE Group 2, so I had no instructor. Group 1 (students w/instructors) and Group 2 were on track together, so I had to put up with the first-timers. The instructors really had to focus their time with Group 1, but on Sunday I was able to get half a lap with our group leader riding with me, before my car's fuel pump decided to act funny.

So I got a full day of driving in on Saturaday, but Sunday I fell victim to a car problem. So here's the details on that...

During the last session Saturday afternoon, I went through a left-hander, and the engine sputtered. Came out, engine picked back up. Next left-hander, same thing, sputtering. I looked at the fuel gauge, and it registered about 1/8 tank. I pulled in a few minutes before the end of session, with engine running fine. Next morning I put in 10 gallons. Warm up was normal.

I went out for my first Sunday session, and the engine sputtered bad in the first lefty, and the second. I slowed and pulled off the track into the pits, engine running fine. I seem to recall a thread here some time ago regarding 95R fuel pump problems, but can't remember the details.

Other than that, the car felt good and it was good to go drive again. I think the biggest improvements from last year were the MM adjustable rear control arms, and the Toyo RA-1s. Now that the rear ride height is about 1" lower, the car doesn't nose dive under braking, and the RA-1s grip a whole lot better than the BFG KDWs. I also like the PF 01 pads better than the Hawk Blacks.

Oh yeah, and Kevin didn't kick me in the nuts for anything, but he wasn't watching me very close. He had his hands full with his "student"...I think she was 16?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Shane,

Did you just modify your rear exhaust and put dumps on it? I thought I told you to be watching for exactly this. When you are running a session the car starts laying over. Brian Groth can add more to this as he also fought with this issue on his car.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
95R#177 said:
, but he wasn't watching me very close. He had his hands full with his "student"...I think she was 16?
I hope this was a metaphorical statement? :-D

Seriously, this fuel situation has been a problem on several of the cars. Sorry, I forgot the fix. :shrug:

Overall, I'd suggest you had a very good first test session after the rebuild. I'd go back and retighten all the fasteners.

95R#177

Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I hope this was a metaphorical statement? :-D

Seriously, this fuel situation has been a problem on several of the cars. Sorry, I forgot the fix. :shrug:

Overall, I'd suggest you had a very good first test session after the rebuild. I'd go back and retighten all the fasteners.

oh yeah, the "student" reference with Kev was an innocent remark, which I realized after the post, may be taken wrong...I highly respect Kevin, and he's very professional...his student was actually a young lady though :)

kevin

like shane said, we had great weather for the track even tho a bit windy sometimes. the 16 year old girl has been driving less than a year and actually did better than most adults i've been on track with. really good car handling skills. she is the daughter of another instructor.

that black hood of shanes is a bit decieving in one's rear view mirror :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
If I remember right Brian's fuel issues were related to "junk" (for lack of a better term) accumulating on the sock of the fuel pump pick-up preventing good flow. He battled it for quite a few events thinking it was vapor lock?

Drop the fuel cell and take a look see!! :read:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

95R#177

Established Member
ac427cobra said:
If I remember right Brian's fuel issues were related to "junk" (for lack of a better term) accumulating on the sock of the fuel pump pick-up preventing good flow. He battled it for quite a few events thinking it was vapor lock?

Drop the fuel cell and take a look see!! :read:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Thanks Bruce, that's what I'll do! I did call Kevin and apologize for any bad feelings about my "student" remark...

95R#177

Established Member
ok guys, get a few good laughs at my expense...it was a loose battery connection, not a fuel pump issue...go ahead, I can take the heat...of course, I took out the fuel cell and pump first... :(

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
95R#177 said:
ok guys, get a few good laughs at my expense...it was a loose battery connection, not a fuel pump issue...go ahead, I can take the heat...of course, I took out the fuel cell and pump first... :(

Don't feel bad, I had a loose rear knuckle bearing and replaced the bearing uneccessarily. Won't make that mistake again!

BTW how did the sock look in the fuel cell!?!? :shrug:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Once, I went to the false grid for the final race of the weekend. It took several minutes for the grid workers to get us in the proper position according to qualifying race, and they gave us the 5 minute warning. I then realized I had forgotten my helmet. :bash:

I've never done this (one of few), but I don't know how many times I've seen wheels fall off a car on the track. The owner forgot to tighten the lugs.

This is not a joke. Several years ago an unnamed racer from FL drove his truck and enclosed trailer to Rd ATl; he forget to load the race car.

Feel better? :-D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Shane,
If your fuel pump is still out, remove the sock and look at the screen. Make sure there isn't fine material built up on that. That was much of the problem that dad and I each gad with our R's that Tom was referring to.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread