Posting this as a heads up to those facing SMOG in the future

BADBOSS

Established Member
Need some help here ...Not sure where to start but let me start with mods, then the problem. AED Tune, JBA x pipe with high flow cats and full 3 inch exhaust, Boss stock intake. So I have tried for 3 weeks to pass smog, Shaun has sent me 4 different tunes, I have also tried the stock tune and every time I have failed smog (7 tries). Shaun has been amazing BTW. First few fails were due to O2, O2 heat and catalyst. Shaun's tune fixed the catalyst but failed to fix the others. I went back to stock tune and it still fails O2, O2 heat but passed catalyst since I installed o2 extenders (thanx 250h). So I took it to Ford dealer today and they tried all day to complete the drive cycle. Guess what they can't get it to clear 02 sensors either. They are saying it is because of the high flow cats. Ford told me the only way the sensor will reset is to install stock exhaust. Does this make sense? I heard of alot of guys that have been able to get the stock to tune to pass with exhaust mods. I am passed my registration date and on a 10 day DMV pass which expires tomorrow. Is my only option to buy and reinstall a stock exhaust? This experience makes me want to blow this thing up. And the best part is Nevada smogs every year. Please help.

Can the O2 sensors not reset when all others have?

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Sorry for your bad luck OP, but if you're looking for stock exhaust I have some!

Came off the car with 2k miles! My car has 2,150miles! I removed it last saturday.

I'm in Santa Clara and can sell it for $50. I don't know what they go for, lol!

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
my 01 cobra did not pass with a magnaflow catted x. Shop said they legally cant pass it (dunno how true this really is...it is california) since its after market cats and has 2 instead of 4 cats like it has stock, but where looking the other way when it came to that. It still failed the sniffer. Barely. I just put the stocker back on and passed. Ive heard of a lot of "performance high flow cats" doing so.

BADBOSS

Established Member
Serpent,

May in fact take you up on that! I am just not sure that will fix the fact that the O2 sensors aren't resetting. I am going to drive it on the stock tune for a couple of weeks and re smog one last time, if they don't reset you have a deal. BTW does that include stock cats?

Last edited:

JOK3R

Established Member
Are you able to get a waiver in your state?

In Maryland, I get waiver after waiver every 3 years simply by calling the MVA. I don't think I've gotten emissions done since 2004.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Serpent,

May in fact take you up on that! I am just not sure that will fix the fact that the O2 sensors aren't resetting. I am going to drive it on the stock tune for a couple of weeks and re smog one last time, if they don't reset you have a deal. BTW does that include stock cats?
My bad dude, its just the axlebacks. Yea, let me know, i know you are in reno so $50 for some axle backs is ok i guess. Its just gonna be sitting in the garage. cant put it back on since my bumper has been cut to fit a gt500 valance.

NickSezz

Established Member
The high flow cats are an issue. You have to either install the stock cats or you can try a set of our Rear O2 Non-Foulers. These will space the sensor out of the exhaust path and hopefully let the sensors ready. Sensor setting in the tune should be set to stock.

NickSezz

Established Member
Already installed the non foulers:shrug:

What kind? Some work better than others.

I had a few cars pass with Kooks Green Cats and the non-foulers that we sell. The Green cats may be making more heat though helping the situation.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
What kind? Some work better than others.

I had a few cars pass with Kooks Green Cats and the non-foulers that we sell. The Green cats may be making more heat though helping the situation.

Whats different about your non foulers? All the ones I see look the same and do the same thing.

NickSezz

Established Member
Whats different about your non foulers? All the ones I see look the same and do the same thing.

We drill them out deeper to reduce the risk of crushing the end of the sensor in there. This also gives more room for the small amount exhaust gases to circulate around the sensor itself. If you block the flow too much it will not heat up and function properly.

afcobra01

Established Member
01 Cobra in Wisconsin woud not pass after three tries. Plated the car in Florida no emissions there and I am a resident. (Military). Good luck with your issues. Sucks to happen like that.

Witt

Established Member
You can get the car to pass o2 and o2 heater monitors with the correct tune. Not sure why AED is having trouble with this but I have been able to do it with Pro Racer on my Whipple car with Pypes long tubes and high flow cats and Rick from Amazon is capable of it as well.

silver50

Established Member
I would talk to guys in your local car club there are usually smog shops that will pass you for a premium price. Just don't post the name of the shop on the internet, you don't want the shop to get into trouble. This is what most people have to do in Cali. Trust me the $200+ premium is worth not having to deal with the headache.

Users who are viewing this thread