Potential of 2004 Aviator DB Heads w/ High Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
I have an opportunity to buy an '04 32v 4.6 Aviator engine that runs good, but has high miles (about 200k). It has the DB 9 thread heads with the WAP aluminum block. I'd be in it for $350. Mainly interested in the heads to rebuild them and swap over onto my 03 Cobra (with 4 thread heads) in the future. I think my valves and or valve seals are letting go, so that would be why I would dive into the project. Any thoughts on the buy with those type of miles?

Steve Cea

Established Member
Obviously you realize those heads with those miles are going to need to be completely rebuilt and I doubt you will be able or even want to use the cams it comes with ? But for the price you are getting them for it's a good start for sure ! Won't be cheap to refurbish the heads the right way and parts won't be cheap either . But I'm assuming you already know this ! I think it's a good score !!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the cams are identical between the Mach's, Cobras, and Aviators. Just because it's "high" miles doesn't mean they're torn up. Are you able to pull the covers off and look inside the engine? If everything is clean you might get lucky and only need a valve job and new seals.

FWIW, I was watching a set of DC heads on ebay a couple months ago and they were sitting at $1200. I don't remember the mileage, but that's before any machine work on my end.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
9 threads 4 threads doesn't matter much. If you want new heads it's a good price but they will need a valve job and a fresh surface so you'll be in for some coin there. The cams are the same as Mach and 03/04 Cobra's and are basically worthless.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
I agree, Steve- I was thinking that with the miles on them, I shouldn't expect much past decent castings. Also, I was going to see if I could offset the overall cost of the engine and perhaps flip the WAP block for a couple bucks if it checks out. I don't expect much from the heads' valvetrain assemblies with the miles, but at $350 for a running Aviator motor and DB 9 thread heads, I was thinking I should go for it, even if its just to have an extra set laying around. It was kind of one of those deals where the guy was going to junk the Aviator whether the motor was in it or not (it was wrecked). It would have been foolish to let it go to a salvage yard.

If I end up building them, I would look into the 96-98 intake cams and invest in doing them correctly. I just cross my fingers that the cores will check out.

Last edited:

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the cams are identical between the Mach's, Cobras, and Aviators. Just because it's "high" miles doesn't mean they're torn up. Are you able to pull the covers off and look inside the engine? If everything is clean you might get lucky and only need a valve job and new seals.

FWIW, I was watching a set of DC heads on ebay a couple months ago and they were sitting at $1200. I don't remember the mileage, but that's before any machine work on my end.

Slo,
Yeah- DC heads would have been ideal, but I'm basically at a set of 03/04 DBs for $350. I don't usually 'collect' parts, but the price just might be right on this deal.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I wouldn't turn down a set of DB's either. I thought someone on here said the DB's would be a better choice for porting anyway? Something about the water jacket design.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Foxlake (who retired) and livernois stopped CNC porting the DC castings due to issues of breaking into the coolant passages. Others still do them and some still hand port. DB's are the preferred of you are going to port them through livernois. Who is who did my GT supercar heads.

cj428mach

Established Member
I've heard that Livernois doesn't do DC castings.

I'd grab the heads, you might be surprised at how little machine work the heads need. The DB casting thats on my Pass side came off an 04 Aviator with around 100k on it. I had the head sent to L&M and the guy working on the head said it was one of the nicest 03-04 Cobra heads he'd seen in a long time.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
That is very good to know about the DC heads. I just assumed that they were the latest and greatest version. That said, I'm sure they are every ounce as good... less the CNC port work. With Livernois already in mind, are there any other shops who you highly recommend to do quality performance headwork on the DB heads? I appreciate all your feedback!

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
So, just a follow up to this thread... I did purchase the motor. I pulled the heads off and everything looked great. In fact, a bonus was a pair of Accel supercoils that I found under the COP covers, brand new. I sold them for $100 and the short block for $250. So, for the $350 I paid, I got the set of DB 9 thread heads for free! LOL.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's awesome when things work out like that.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

IllCobra

Established Member
So, just a follow up to this thread... I did purchase the motor. I pulled the heads off and everything looked great. In fact, a bonus was a pair of Accel supercoils that I found under the COP covers, brand new. I sold them for $100 and the short block for $250. So, for the $350 I paid, I got the set of DB 9 thread heads for free! LOL.
I was/am in your current shoes. I bought a set of used DC casting heads off a cobra (or that's at least what the guy told me, i think they might have been of an aviator) and ended up spending just under $800 for a valve job, resurface, new seals, and inspected. You definitely got a good deal on the DB heads. I didn't know about DB heads being a better choice for a CNC port...though based on what i've read you won't see much gains from porting on these cars unless you do cams or have big plans for the motor, so i'll take the better cooling DC heads.

Here's a link to my head thread
https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...-installing-new-dc-heads-need-advice.1134605/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread