Power capability of build 2v.

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
Howdy,

I was hoping for some insight on a project that a friend of mine has been working on for some time. I'm coming in behind another shop to fix the tune and try to find hp. Would you mind giving me an opinion?

The car is a 98gt with the following mods :

Steel Darton Sleeved 305 block with good rods and pistons.
8.0:1 CR
Stage 3 2v TEA ported heads
Choice of intakes : Bullit or Reichard
Procharger F1A making 20lbs at 6000
Comp cams .495/.545 with duration 224/238 and sep of 114
LT headers and Borla 2.5" XR1s w/o cats.

It seems to me that with the 20lbs of boost being made at 6000rpm, this thing should be a monster but it doesn't even make 600hp with the Bullit on it. The previous tuner left the timing at 14deg up top and no temperature correction. Discharge temps are around 125-130. Good A/F ratio etc on 93 octane fuel.

Would you expect this thing to make more power than this? In the past, with stock compression, I wouldn't run over 14deg of timing with moderate boost, but with 8.0:1 cr and 20lbs of boost, I just don't know what is safe. This poor kid was a victim of a modmax valve train failure and then an improperly machined head that ultimately broke the block twice. Id really like to get him where he needs to be without having any more issues.

I appreciate any insight that you may have. There just doesn't seem to be many 2v motors running around making a lot of power.

Thanks,
Mike Freedman

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I wish I could be of some info about this but this is way beyond anything I've ever done to my car. It sounds like an awesome setup, I would certainly think with that much boost and the good head/cam setup it should make north of 600.

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
with that setup you would think it would crack 600hp with no problem.
are you running out of fuel, spark blowout, belt slip? is there a dyno sheet to look at?

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
Fuel is right at 11.5:1. No ignition break up at all. Graph is smooth but it rolls over pretty hard at a little over 5000rpm. I don't have a graph handy.

Mike

DailyDriver

Established Member
you wont lose that much hp even with a 8.0:1 CR. try reving that thing bigger pulley and rev it to 7000-7500. the heads and cam combo might not be in there power range.

Stanger00

Established Member
It rolls over pretty hard in the 5000rpm range.

But you are only making power for 1k rpms when you could be making awesome power from 5k rpms to 7k+ rpms...

Why limit yourself?

A few 600+ 2 valves with different setups spinning to 6500-6800 rpms and all dont break the 600 plane until 5500-6k rpms.

DailyDriver

Established Member
yeah its probably the cams, if it just kicks in at 5k get a bigger pulley and rev it to at least 7k. I bet you'll see the power your looking for

Chais92

Established Member
That setup should easily make over 600! My car is only a 4.75l (289 I believe? Correct me if I'm wron please!) with p&p p.i heads, blower cams, and stock intake and we are expecting 550hp at 15-16psi due to previous dyno pulls. But I agree with the previous statements! Why only 6k rpm? These 2v's don't make the higher power till higher in rpm band..... Rev that bad boy!!

Mike Dj

Established Member
Put on a Logan intake make sure the cams are up to the task and as the others said turn it to 7000.

Users who are viewing this thread