power limits of T-56

cobracide

Established Member
450 torque. A 26 spline input shaft increases the torque capacity and addresses a major weak point.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
With just the upgrade of the input shaft they last till 800 usually. The stock 10 spline I have seen break many times at stock power.

cobracide

Established Member
A level 2 type t56 upgrade typically consists of billet shift keys, bronze fork pads, Billet synchronizer keys, Carbon fiber blocker rings, 1-2 and 3-4 syncronizer assemblies and seals. Would not worry too much of going there unless you are 600+ and hard on your car or going to the track.

Last edited:

garbonzo1991gt

Flying Monkey Commander
Established Member
I've had over 600 Tq for the last 2 years as a daily driver with the 10-spline input shaft and untouched internals... Launched on slicks many times, usually around 4500 but sometimes rev limiter... May not be the same experience for everyone. Just saying.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I've had over 600 Tq for the last 2 years as a daily driver with the 10-spline input shaft and untouched internals... Launched on slicks many times, usually around 4500 but sometimes rev limiter... May not be the same experience for everyone. Just saying.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

What clutch are you using?

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As cobracide mentioned, the stock shaft is definitely a weak point. Even at stock numbers, people have had issues with them, and as you can see some people have avoided issues with them. It's generally not a gamble I'd be willing to take.

The ideal thing to do, before you buy a new clutch, is to consider upgrading your input shaft to a 26 spline, which we have here in stock. This way, you're not getting a 10 spline clutch, and then realizing you want to upgrade the shaft.

While we're on the topic of weakpoints in the tranny, a good idea is to go with a higher quality retainer sleeve, which are made by us or Mcleod, and go with an Ford Racing HD throw out bearing as well. Here are some links to help you find some of those items. I'll include a link to the clutches as well, which I'd go with a Mcleod set up as we have had lots of success running their clutches on our own cars.

26 Spline Input Shafts : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Lethal Performance T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve [LP-T56TOBSLEEVE] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Throwout and Pilot Bearings : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Mcleod : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

John

Users who are viewing this thread