Power problems

CGGT01

Established Member
So I have decided to keep my Mystic. I thought I was having problems with the IMRC, however I was told it may be a timing issue related to valve control.

The problem: @ 3000 rpm the car bogs down and practically falls flat on its face. Usually happens more when the car is runnin in warmer weather but that is not the only time.

Any input or direction is appreciated.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
how many miles on the car? the IMRCs could possibly be the issue, and if you go on americanmuscle.com they sell a steeda timing adjuster that you can install and probably fiddle with yourself.

Toasty

Established Member
If your issues are at 3k rpms, its almost definitely your IMRC's. They are either gummed up and stuck so they wont fully open (or open at all), or the IMRC actuator motors are shot.

Timing on these cars is non adjustable outside of a ECU tune. Your timing isnt 'off' unless the timing chains have skipped a link or two, in which case I'd suspect you have bigger issues.

If you have rear gears installed, installing some IMRC delete plates with a custom tune to turn off the IMRC's is a good option. Even without gears, the IMRC deletes plus a tune isnt a bad idea if you are having driveability issues.

97svtman

Established Member
The most accurate way to determine if its your imrcs dyno i did i got 191 haha reach behind your engine against your firewall down the back of the engine you will feel something like a throttle body linkage you can turn it and should hear them open I zip tied them open drove major difference redynoed at 272.... apparently they werent open try that youll know reall quick if its them.

CGGT01

Established Member
The Cobra has approximately 123k miles. I found someone here in Jacksonville, FL to take a look at the car. He said that he has never heard of the timing issue unless something broke (resulting in bigger issues as mentioned).

Other than bogging down, the car runs fine.

Would the 4.10s cause any issues with the IMRC's opening?

Users who are viewing this thread