Power steering pump replace

rus

Established Member
I have been searching the how to s for a video or step by step on how to replace a power steering pump on my 2003 cobra. Does anyone have a place to locate the procedures. Any help appreciated

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
It's pretty straightforward.

Remove the accessory belt
Remove the PS hose to the reservoir and drain out the fluid.
Remove the high pressure hose and fitting from the pump (flare end wrench highly recommended)
Remove four 10mm bolts.
Your pump is out.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
Make sure to bleed the PS system upon reinstallation.

Note: Replace the Teflon o-ring on the high pressure fitting. They're available at most parts stores.

Dave.O

Established Member
I had trouble with mine and had to remove pulley to access all bolts
Leave belt on for this step
Good point on new oring

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Just replaced on my Mach this weekend. There is a video on YouTube on how to replace on the cobra. The new pump should come with a new o-ring. I was able to remove and reinstall the hose with the pulley installed. FYI, the Harbor Freight tool is garbage. The bolt snapped and caused the pulley flange to get destroyed. Had to go pick up a new pulley for the new pump and rented the install/puller kit from the parts store at that time. If you don't want to deal with removing and reinstalling the pulley just buy the pump with pulley installed already. It's only a few bucks more with it already installed. Look at Rock Auto or a pump from BBB Industries on eBay. These two places will be the cheapest. I made the mistake of ordering the pump from CJ Pony Parts for $108 shipped and they sent me a Cardone pump. Could've got the same with pulley on it somewhere else for $80 shipped.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I use a ratcheting wrench with the wobble end to get to the one stubborn bolt. Although I think once you remove the hoses you can get to all four bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread