Powered Hood Vent Mod - Prototype #1

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Well I got bored again today and decided to go ahead and do the Hood Blanket Mod.

While I was working on it I got to thinking that it's fine to open up the Hood Blanket Holes and Open the Hood Vent Flaps, but that just lets the hot air escape a little better under it's own power, hot air rises and all that, and you get very little air flow under the hood when your moving slower or stopped in traffic.

So I wondered what whould happen if I could vent the hot air at greater rate and this is the first prototype I came up with. The 4 Fans combined flow about 160 CFM. I'm looking at installing some fully waterproof fans if this works out, but they are a little pricey (40.00 Each X 4) They can be ran after being submerged in up to 3 feet of water.

HoodVent.jpg

I just finished it today so I don't have any experience with running it yet, but the Fans come on with the Ignition and you can barely hear them standing outside the car with the engine off, and there is a nice volume of air being vented from under the hood, so we'll see.

Let me know what you think, any ideas for improvement would be great, or if you think it's a complete waste of time and money, use your brain and come up with something better.

:D

Last edited:

Ryan.K.

VOLENS ET POTENS
Established Member
To be honest it looks a little wierd but a great concept. It's got to be field tested first though.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
That's gotta be the equivalant of throwing a chair off the Queen Mary. Will it dicipate much heat?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by mike79
Did you happen to take temp readings before the fans, and after of inside the engine bay?

Ok that is a valid question...
But also ... how about air pressure readings.... under the hood ...but away from fan wash... at a stop... with fans on and off..
And at different speeds(city)...on and off...

Anything that lowers air pressure behind the radiator makes it easier for air to go though the radiator.....

Now due to the nature of this market(us guys).... you may have some reluctance due to the appearance of this device....

A valid attempt at under hood air pressure reduction however.... and ....................good for you for thinking!!!!!

What if you came up with a powered engine air vent that was more hidden, and perhaps in a dryer location...... Like under hood exiting though the fender wells???
The cosmetics would be less problematic.... yet possibley just as effective????

Don't you love it when gear heads think for them selves
Jimmy:idea:

Last edited:

03RedCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH
They can be ran submerged in up to 3 feet of water.
:D

Man, that's so cool !!! If I happen to run into the Mississippi river the fans will still be working !!! Oh yeah !!!

LOL Just kidding ya !!

Brad

Banned
I don't see how that will do anything but trap heat while you're under way, stopped in traffic I can see it doing a little something, but at 70MPH all those are going to do is cut air flow.

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
How does the water actually get on the blanket? Does it come thru the shielding or soak into the edges of the cutout. I am doing the hood mod soon, probably need a new blanket.

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
nice setup...theres a guy thats allways at the track, he has a 94 cobra with a vortech with like 12# of boost...and he has the same thing...he has 2 of those small fans to cool of his blower:bowdown:

maoun

Established Member
i'm with jimmy's thoughts on pressure...first thing a road racer thinks of....but i can't imagine it making a diff...

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
A Few Questions

Has anyone actually measured the velocity of the air coming out of the hood vents at 70 MPH? Where is the data?

As hot as it gets under my hood after I get done driving around town I don't think there is a whole lot of circulation going on under the hood.

What is so cosmetically wrong with some fans? You can't see them with the hood closed unless you look straight down into the hood vent, and even the they look professionally installed.

If one of you could re-design me a fan that doesn't look like a fan, I'd be glad to use it.

By the way these are easily removable, it takes less than one minute to disconnect the electrical and unclip the fan bracket.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
but at 70MPH all those are going to do is cut air flow.

Maybe... or maybe the airflow will spin them and facilitate it.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH
A Few Questions

Has anyone actually measured the velocity of the air coming out of the hood vents at 70 MPH? Where is the data?

As hot as it gets under my hood after I get done driving around town I don't think there is a whole lot of circulation going on under the hood.

What is so cosmetically wrong with some fans? You can't see them with the hood closed unless you look straight down into the hood vent, and even the they look professionally installed.

If one of you could re-design me a fan that doesn't look like a fan, I'd be glad to use it.

By the way these are easily removable, it takes less than one minute to disconnect the electrical and unclip the fan bracket.

I’m just making assumptions based on how I’ve seen fans like that perform. My understanding of how those vents work is as you’re moving down the road air flow passing over your hood naturally extracts air out of the motor bay via those vents. The only way I could think of testing it is putting the fan in there, wiring it though a computer or something, and taking RPM diagnostics like the one that tells you your CPU fan speed. Although that seems like a lot of work, and I’m pretty sure at highway speed they’re not doing much other than cutting down the volume of the area in which heat can be extracted through the vent. I guess the first test I would do is just sick the fans in there, get out onto the highway with the fans off, and try to peek out and see how fast they're spinning. I guess if they're not spinning very fast running them would be a benifit, but if they're going nuts you can either run more test or just assume they're hurting air flow. Go test it, now I’m really curious, if it works you could prob make some money selling these things.

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
i think it looks like a great idea!

what if you reversed it so it would draw fresh air from outside and set some other fans up to expel the air and get circulation underneath the hood

Users who are viewing this thread