Powered Hood Vent Mod - Prototype #1

JamesT

Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Maybe... or maybe the airflow will spin them and facilitate it.

Can the bearings of the fans withstand extended RPM's for extended amounts of time? This is assumming the fans would turn faster going 70 or even 150mph.

I like the thought of the fans, good idea.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by xVENOMx
i think it looks like a great idea!

what if you reversed it so it would draw fresh air from outside and set some other fans up to expel the air and get circulation underneath the hood

With that idea you've got the force of the wind sucking air out while a fan is trying to jam it in. Fock this, I'm going to tape a fan to the vent right now and rip down the highway BRB.

:coolman:

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
i didnt think of that, what if you keep the fans pushing air out of teh vent and draw air from somewhere else

Brad

Banned
Ok so on my trip to Stop&Shop I did a half fast test of my own. I had to remove the vent so I could see the fan. My top speed was about 50MPH, I placed the fan in the center of the opening, and covered the rest of the area with tape. At 30MPH the rate at which it was spinning was pretty quick, about what you’d expect to see if it were plugged in. At 50 I had to pull over because the fan was getting a little unstable, maybe I needed more than just tape, at this speed while it was still mounted it looked like it was spinning pretty damn fast. My half fast conclusion is this isn’t doing anything but inhibiting the volume of air which is naturally extracted though the vents. I could be wrong, no question, but based on this test I wouldn’t bother doing this… You could take the next step and data log ran RPM speed at various speeds, but that's too much work for me.

Also one last thing I’d fell like a complete loser popping my hood at a local show only to reveal 4 cpu fans under there. but whatever haha.

Last edited:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Originally posted by Brad

Also one last thing I’d fell like a complete loser popping my hood at a local show only to reveal 4 cpu fans under there.

LOL! Tell 'em you're doing high performance testing for SVT Performance.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by SVT4ME
Set up a little experitment and see how it works for temp control

No need really, if it's not flowing more air, it's not cooling anything more efficiently.

Originally posted by flyn high again
LOL! Tell 'em you're doing high performance testing for SVT Performance.

haha

xVENOMx

straight boostin
Established Member
well if air is naturally comming out of there at a good rate unless you are beating that flow than you are just blocking the air. hmmm i dunno

oldmodman

Established Member
Those fans would be very effective while stopped, say in the staging lanes at the strip. They wouldn't draw your battery down the way the radiator fans do. But they would still help to remove hot air trapped under the hood. But if you had access to 110v you would be better off with the hood open and a big floor fan propped up to blow air onto the engine. Good idea though if you have been running you battery dead trying to cool you engine with the radiator fans!

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by xVENOMx
well if air is naturally comming out of there at a good rate unless you are beating that flow than you are just blocking the air. hmmm i dunno

Right, thats what I think also. When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be like power doors to open up the vents or something. Maybe when the car comes on they open up and when it shuts off they close to keep rain or whatever out, now that would be cool.

ALA G8R

Banned
Those hood vents work on natural convection while the car is stopped. While the car is moving forward air moving over the top of the vent's cause a negative pressure gradient inside the vent (Bernoulli Principle). This will pull the hot air out of the engine bay at an increasing rate the faster the car moves. The fans will eventually impede this airflow.

Plus rain and heat would kill those fans in no time.

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Just to clarify a few things.

1. The fans are not CPU Fans, I don't know if you computer nerds know that 80mm Axial Cooling fans are used in a lot of other devices other than computers.

2. The fans I'm currently using are Standard 80mm Axial Fans, if I decide to keep this setup there are Water Proof Fans that are available, but expensive. I didn't want to invest a hugh amount of money in an experiment. Those fans can run after being in a submerged condition in up to 3 feet of water, more that enough waterproofing to survive a rain shower or car washing.

3. The fans are currently configured to blow air out from under the hood, even I had enough common sense to know I'd be fighting air pressure if I was trying to force cool are down into the hood.

4. There is nothing stopping the fans from spinning faster if the air pressure is lower outside the hood vent than under the hood. Based on your own quoted principals the fan would automatically spin faster, those are the same principals that drive the vortex of a hurricane or a tornado. The greater the air pressure difference between the high and low pressure regions the higher the air speed. Higher air speed through the vents equals higher rpm, just try spraying dust remover into your computer fan and see how fast it can really spin.

I took a little ride out to the beach and back today in 90+ Degree heat and just for the heck of it I placed a thermometer in the hood vent with the fans running. The thermometer shot up like a rocket to almost 170 Degrees.

There is definately a difference in the volume of hot air being evacuated from under the hood with the fans in place.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH
Just to clarify a few things.

1. The fans are not CPU Fans, I don't know if you computer nerds know that 80mm Axial Cooling fans are used in a lot of other devices other than computers.

2. The fans I'm currently using are Standard 80mm Axial Fans, if I decide to keep this setup there are Water Proof Fans that are available, but expensive. I didn't want to invest a hugh amount of money in an experiment. Those fans can run after being in a submerged condition in up to 3 feet of water, more that enough waterproofing to survive a rain shower or car washing.

3. The fans are currently configured to blow air out from under the hood, even I had enough common sense to know I'd be fighting air pressure if I was trying to force cool are down into the hood.

4. There is nothing stopping the fans from spinning faster if the air pressure is lower outside the hood vent than under the hood. Based on your own quoted principals the fan would automatically spin faster, those are the same principals that drive the vortex of a hurricane or a tornado. The greater the air pressure difference between the high and low pressure regions the higher the air speed. Higher air speed through the vents equals higher rpm, just try spraying dust remover into your computer fan and see how fast it can really spin.

I took a little ride out to the beach and back today in 90+ Degree heat and just for the heck of it I placed a thermometer in the hood vent with the fans running. The thermometer shot up like a rocket to almost 170 Degrees.

There is definately a difference in the volume of hot air being evacuated from under the hood with the fans in place.

That test does not sound like it proves much.

Last edited:

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
I don't see how that will do anything but trap heat while you're under way, stopped in traffic I can see it doing a little something, but at 70MPH all those are going to do is cut air flow.

I agree. I think the air passing over the hood generates enough vacuum to dissipate more heat than the fans. Nice concept, though.

Rio

Originally posted by BLK03SVT10TH

i didnt know for sure....it wasnt meant in offense, just looked looked like case fans to me :beer:

on the edit, Im not sure what application the fans you're using where originally designed for, but having spent many years in the marine industry, you might check out inboard bilge vent fans too.......they blow a decent cfm and run off dc.........just a thought :)

oh, and theyre water resisitant......

Last edited by a moderator:

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
That test does not sound like it proves much.

It wasn't meant as a conclusive test, I was just remarking on the tempurature and volume of the air coming out when the car was stopped and the fans were running.

Users who are viewing this thread