Powered Hood Vent Mod - Prototype #1

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Originally posted by Brad
I don't see how that will do anything but trap heat while you're under way, stopped in traffic I can see it doing a little something, but at 70MPH all those are going to do is cut air flow.
Your assuming the fans aren't moving air through the vents to match the volume moved at 70mph without the fans. Best way to determine effectivness would be to guage temp diffenences under hood with them not mounted. Then under similar conditions mount them and compare readings.

Last edited by a moderator:

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Are they inhibiting or enhancing flow?

Easy test, wire an ammeter up in series with the fans.

When they draw power, they're moving air.

When they're using under 0 amps they're being driven by the air.

Charging the battery, really.

DC motors act as generators when driven.

Last edited:

Friendchicken

I thought I would point out that it would make more sense to pull heat out of the inside of the engine than the air around it.

There are no measurable results to be gained by this mod which is why some people are having a hard time with it (by definition - rice).

If you wanted to think outside the box, then you figure out what you want to do (lower engine temps), and locate the source of the heat (engine-exchangers-headers), and provide a solution that no one has tried yet. Build a eaton cooling jacket, or convert your AC into a heat exchanger/intake cooler.

But the net effect of fans connected to your vents would be like blowing on a glass of water to make it evaporate faster when you could use a straw. There are downsides bigger then the result and it will void your warantee :)

This is not a slam against the execution or the intent, but a critique of the concept which is what I am assumine you knew you would be open to.

Pyro

Established Member
IMO, those little things aren't pushing any more than the natural vacuum caused by the air passing over the hood. You'd need a garden blower sucking air out of the engine and blowing it out in order to be effective. :shrug:

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Kinda neat. You can always tell ricers that they are "supplemental superchargers" and increase boost by 2lbs. They'll believe anything!!

BLK03SVT10TH

Mods? What Mods??
Established Member
Originally posted by ChrisNelson
Kinda neat. You can always tell ricers that they are "supplemental superchargers" and increase boost by 2lbs. They'll believe anything!!

Yeah, at least I never made any claims about improving HP. :D

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by DaleM
Your assuming the fans aren't moving air through the vents to match the volume moved at 70mph without the fans. Best way to determine effectivness would be to guage temp diffenences under hood with them not mounted. Then under similar conditions mount them and compare readings.

If they were moving an equal amount of air at 70MPH they wouldn't have been blown out of my car at 50mph.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I hate to ask the obvious but why are you attempting to cool down the engine area? The reason why I ask this is are you attempting to cool down the supercharger, the whole engine, or something else like the hood itself?

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
Let me put in my $0.02 cents...

That's kind of like fighting a forest fire with a water squirt gun. It's useless. A lot of people have already explained the reasons above me. Also, when you pop the hood, it looks ricey! (at least to me it does).

Not knocking on your idea. New ideas are always great and welcomed, but apply the "common sense" test and it's practically useless.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
You guys just keep thinking, heat is an issue for me when its hot outside and I feel like juicing it , I don't even have a pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread