Powershifting...

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
Did a search and came up empty. So my question is, do you powershift (no-lift, flatshift, w/e you wanna call it) your car? I used to do it all the time with my old foxbody, but it didn't have near the power my '03 makes. I have yet to do it in the Cobra because of some minor wheel-hop on the driver's side and wanted to wait till I have the mods to eliminate it. So I was wondering who does it? Thoughts about it being torture for the tranny/clutch, etc?
I resisted the urge to do it at the track too. I'm pretty sure I left some e.t. on the table by granny shifting. 12.37@117mph 1st run followed up by a 13.3X@114mph having to really pedal it due to wheel hop on the second run. my 60's were:xpl: on both runs. I'll have to look at the slip when I get home.
Basically I want to know if it's worth it to abuse the drivetrain like that once I address the wheel hop issue.

Fat-cat

Established Member
i dont power shift mine... the Revs climb damn fast and im not the best driver in the world.. also i have read allot of people brake the t56's on power shifting .. but i know some guys do it and love it .. if you can .. DO it ... i cant so i dont

AaronK

Established Member
It shocks the drivetrain pretty good, it does work though. I don't do it because mines a DD and I don't want to break anything. But I probably would if I had slicks on it and only drove it on the weekends... :shrug:

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I do not Just learn how to shift really fast. I can row gears and hardly skip a beat and lift slightly in between gears.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
I use to do it when i was pullied until my tranny start making this weird buzzin noise. The noise stopped but i don't powershift anymore...at least until i get a built T-56.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
never. i dont see how one could powershift the T56 without clutch mods.

I shift slowly and let the power do the work, not the tranny.

MVD

Established Member
For those who care about ET, you have to powershift. Letting the "power do the work" is not going to ET the car......the driver does that.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
There's some different opinions on degree of ET savings with powershifting, but just about all serious drag racers that are running boost added setups agree that powershifting can help significantly at anywhere from 1/10 to 3/10 of a second in the 1/4 mile. If you want to maximize your setup, powershifting will indeed help if done correctly.

wlg101190

Established Member
I do it a lot in my Cobra, but I can do it really well (no bragging intended) and it always goes really smooth, no grinding, etc.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I will not powershift anymore...i tried it a few times at the track in my 99, took my chances with braving the wheel hop and all the other associated risks and ended up putting my cobra (AKA my DD) in the shop for a transmission rebuild and new clutch cause i was not a pro at power shifting and broke a shift fork and toasted the clutch. Bottom line...your chances of breaking MANY different parts increases substantially when you powershift. If you are ok with those risks and alright with the reality that something may crap out sooner or later being that rough, then go for it. It is a really sweet feeling when it works and the ET is quite rewarding, but to me, just not worth the risks.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Most of the time I drive the car I lift between shifts, at the track I'll powershift. Typically the difference is between .1-.2 for my when powershifting or lifting.

Midnight Venom

Reloaded's Girl
Established Member
I rarely do it, I find it kind of hard because I'm pretty short. Only if I am feeling very confident do I and I'm still not very good at it.

apexasphalt

Storm
Established Member
Don't really race anymore, but when i first got it i would powershift all the time. I know it isn't good for the car, that's why i stopped, but i must say there isn't a better feeling when you got your foot down the whole time and slammin those gears.it is.....priceless! what i did was practice powershifting at 3-4 thousand rpms. just to get a feel for not letting off. this way at least your not missing a gear and hitting the rev limiter. even though your still jacking with your trans. oh yeah easiest way to do this ( or anykind of shifting i think ) is put your seat up all the way till it stops. this way the clutch will be engaged for sure. i also missed shifts powershifting with no damage, just as soon as you feel that its not letting you in let off. duh right, but if you catch it and don't try to force it i think you will be ok. all of this stuff is my .02 cents. I'm not john force or anything !!

Users who are viewing this thread