PPG Pace Car Cobra, Help Trying To Contact Owner mustangjohnny

2fastfords

Established Member
Main reason for this is can anyone get me in contact with mustangjohnny ? He hasn't been online in over two years and I'm hoping someone here may know him.

EDIT, After doing a little more research I came across a post saying that he had passed away, RIP. Does anyone know the current status of this car then?

Oddly I'm a member here and also in the process of helping a close friend restore a 96 Lotus Esprit that was an official pace car in the 97/98 champ car/ Indy car series. It's pretty much as it was used except for missing the roof lite and a pace care isint complete without the lights! We've had zero leads on who made it, what it looks like etc, as there aren't to many pictures of it from when it was in use.

Any way I just stumped upon a thread of when mustangjohnny acquired a cobra that was also a champcar pace car.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...he-2003-Mustang-SVT-Champcar-Fastlap-Pace-car

In his thread he talks about the light, which is the same exact one we need, and I would love to get in touch with him for some possible info. We've found a company that can make us one but we need the dimensions first.

Any help would be great here guys, this light has been over a year long search! Lots of history between Lotus and Ford so hopefully you accept the off brand thread.

Here's some pics!

As an active pace car with the light
08B14C39-F1E9-4561-AF06-20F198A5116F.gif

Shortly after getting the car, its orignal mirrors were both damaged and replaced with those stupid little stick on ones, the holes in the doors were covered with that big ugly sticker. Also no roof light
ppg.gif

And heres the light that is from mustangjohnnys thread, pretty sure its the same light or damn close.
2A466119-D8D8-471E-9436-48A444631AB3.gif

And finally a pic from a few months ago from the national meet in ashville NC at the biltwell estate. Here it has the correct mirrors again.
5497D92F-8DD8-4252-9403-39B760E98637.gif

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Your finding is correct. Johnny passed away a little over 2 years ago after a relatively short battle with cancer. He was a very good friend of mine, and had a wealth of racing and mustang knowledge.

The Champ Car cobra referenced above, I sold to Johnny about a year before his passing. It still resides with his family. As for the light, he found the manufacturer, and I believe, purchased the last one. They were made specifically for the pace cars. I'll get ahold of the family and see if I can get any more info on it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for responding, Sam. I love it when folks are in need of info like this and a person close to the source posts up. One of the reasons why I love SVTPerformance! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread