Practicality vs Fun...or Comfortable

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
So for awhile now I've been debating on purchasing a '11- '12 GT or an '09 G8 GT (GXP's are too damn rare to find around here) for a DD. I like the thought of having functional back seats and space. I love the styling of both cars, i just cant wrap my head around driving an automatic, because i've always drove a manual transmission car. Sometimes i thnk it would seem more practical just to drive an automatic vs stick for DD. The G8 seems like an awesome car for the money. But that coyote though.. lol. If i bought the coyote i couldn't imagine driving it as an automatic, it would HAVE to be stick (no offense to those that do). I guess it's mainly because the coyote is a sport coupe vs a G8 being a family sedan. I am aware of the performance differences, but again this is for DD. Im not trying to start a flame war auto vs manual or anything. I'm looking for input from those that have owned both mainly..if not..for those who have had to go to an automatic transmission from a manual transmission. Practicality vs Fun...or rather comfortable?

Thanks.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an MT82 2012 GT and my brother has the 6r80 auto in his 2011 GT. I'm impressed with Ford's auto in the new GT's and wouldn't hesitate to own one. To make my 6m shift like a normal manual trans car it took a shifter, motor mounts, clutch line, and a fluid swap. As you start shifting in the 7300+rpm range the stock clutch doesn't like to keep up.

With that being said I would drive a 6a mustang with a tune if possible so you can see for yourself. Automatic and daily driver go together like ham and cheese. Having a 4 door for a daily is even better IMO.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
yeah i've seen some videos of automatic GT's doing work. I just never imagined me driving an automatic, as i have been driving stick all my life. Either I'm getting older or just flat out lazy... i think im getting lazy lol. 4 doors vs 2, manual vs automatic, Ive been trying to negotiate this in my head for some time now. I do need to check out the auto GT's though, thats for sure, I'm not going to rule anything out anymore.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I drive 45min each way to work, all freeway, the last 20min in heavy stop and go traffic.

I currently have an automatic but any car that's not a boring dd needs a manual, even if its daily driven. The suckage of driving a manual in traffic is more than eclipsed by the fun factor of driving one in all other driving conditions. The only way id drive an automatic is if it was 6spd and came with paddle shifters, and not shitty ones either, and even then, youd have to lure me in with an insane deal, IE lower mileage than any other car on CL/Autotrader/etc and a lower price to boot.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've driven both, and I would say it's still worth getting a manual to DD, unless it's a well built automatic( and has paddle shifters)

I don't mind stop and go in a manual, however, I live in a flat state, so it's not that tedious.

ThomasL

Established Member
I'm in heavy traffic all day every day around here and i DD my GT500. Wouldn't have it any other way. Love driving a manual because those moments i get on some open road or winding roads are well worth it. BUT....part of me always thinks how nice it'd be to have in auto just for shits and giggles. Mash the gas and go.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I drive about 20 to 25 minutes to and from work. the commute isnt bad at all. I'm just itching to get into something new/different. It seems as though the comfort factor in a car isn't why you would buy a sports coupe, but was wondering if anyone made such a sacrifice lol. trying to plan ahead, with that being said i think i'm favoring the coyote as a DD. I do like the G8's lines and room, i also like the CTS V, but..that maintenance/$$$ on the V is kind of discouraging.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I'm in heavy traffic all day every day around here and i DD my GT500. Wouldn't have it any other way. Love driving a manual because those moments i get on some open road or winding roads are well worth it. BUT....part of me always thinks how nice it'd be to have in auto just for shits and giggles. Mash the gas and go.

For the first week.

Until you run into a situation in which your automatic cant keep up with what you would be doing with a manual. Often times I will make quick lane changes out of stopped traffic into moving traffic and my tranny just cant keep up with my foot, whereas a manual id already have dropped down a gear or two and been in that gear before merging, the auto will still be downshifting when you make the lane change, if traffic in that lane is moving 10-15mph faster and you have only a small gap, that lag time is deadly.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
For the first week.

Until you run into a situation in which your automatic cant keep up with what you would be doing with a manual. Often times I will make quick lane changes out of stopped traffic into moving traffic and my tranny just cant keep up with my foot, whereas a manual id already have dropped down a gear or two and been in that gear before merging, the auto will still be downshifting when you make the lane change, if traffic in that lane is moving 10-15mph faster and you have only a small gap, that lag time is deadly.

drive a dual clutch auto it fixes that

Blown 89

Established Member
Manual, always a manual. I spend 1.5 hours a day in the car....I need the escape shifting provides to make it fun. People have been telling me that I'll get tired of a manual for 20 years. Hasn't happened yet.

96 cobra

Established Member
I drive around 25-30k miles/yr throughout NY and NJ, always had a manual DD.
That being said, In truly heavy traffic (e.g. stereotypical LA/'Falling Down' traffic jams), manuals are definitely no fun.

If I had the funds, I'd love to get a dual-clutch diesel 4-door golf as a DD.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
drive a dual clutch auto it fixes that

Unless its a focus....

still not faster than me switching gears before going WOT and merging, any auto still needs to see the driver request X amount of throttle before it downshifts and puts you in the correct powerband. Manuals, a good driver will be at that powerband (rpm) already before requesting it.

Last edited:

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Meh, i've done both. Had a 5spd BMW for a few years on NoVA. I now DD an auto focus and prefer it. I've DD'd auto powerstrokes before with no issues. I definitely dont like getting caught in traffic while in the cobra!

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
another reason why i prefer a manual transmission is because it helps me focus on driving. Me being engadged into driving, and where im going. Driving an auto kind of minimalizes a task of awareness for me IMO. But it is a nice thought just mashing the go pedal or cruising around only worrying about one foot lol.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Agreed....its an escape. Makes you feel like you're a part of the driving experience. Even my old slow Honda Accord was enjoyable to drive with a manual.

...Mark...

Established Member
I used to have a G8.I actually sold it to get into my vert.. When i got a company car i saw no need to have 3 sedans in the household so i sold it and got my vert. Growing up in the northeast i always wanted a vert but it wasn't practical but since i relo'ed to the south it was my opportunity to get one. Some guys here gave me shit for it but i always wanted a vert and finally got one. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?898185-Out-w-the-old-and-in-w-the-new&highlight=

Had i not gotten a company car i probably still would have the G8. It was a great car. I had some basic mods done to it. The biggest difference maker was the tune which also addressed the tranny (torque managment and shift points). That said, the auto still sucked (even though it rev'ed matched on downshifts and light up 2nd post tune on 275's) and i still wished i paid more for a GXP.

My kids are 5 and 7 and are outgrowing the vert quickly but they don't seem to mind. I'll probably run it for another year and then sell it in the spring of 15. Then its back to a sports sedan.. Something a like a V, ISF, C63, SRT8, etc..

If you have any specific questions let me know.

522427_527859720558843_1271536399_n.jpg

906322_596564853688329_1158627466_o.jpg

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
I'm sure Ill get bashed for this ..but

I actually enjoy WOT better in high HP cars when they are automatic.

Just press down on the pedal and let the torque pin you to the seat.

Just feels more fun to me than shifting through a power band.

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
:beer:
Thanks man your G8 looked gorgeous. The G8 have always been one of my absolute favorite sedans i'd like to own someday. I just don't know when to pull the trigger, or if i should considering the "fun" qualities in other performance vehicles. When yours was tuned im sure it was night and day difference.

I used to have a G8.I actually sold it to get into my vert.. When i got a company car i saw no need to have 3 sedans in the household so i sold it and got my vert. Growing up in the northeast i always wanted a vert but it wasn't practical but since i relo'ed to the south it was my opportunity to get one. Some guys here gave me shit for it but i always wanted a vert and finally got one. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?898185-Out-w-the-old-and-in-w-the-new&highlight=

Had i not gotten a company car i probably still would have the G8. It was a great car. I had some basic mods done to it. The biggest difference maker was the tune which also addressed the tranny (torque managment and shift points). That said, the auto still sucked (even though it rev'ed matched on downshifts and light up 2nd post tune on 275's) and i still wished i paid more for a GXP.

My kids are 5 and 7 and are outgrowing the vert quickly but they don't seem to mind. I'll probably run it for another year and then sell it in the spring of 15. Then its back to a sports sedan.. Something a like a V, ISF, C63, SRT8, etc..

If you have any specific questions let me know.

522427_527859720558843_1271536399_n.jpg

906322_596564853688329_1158627466_o.jpg

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Yeah, i mean i can imagine. Do you ever feel like you're missing somethig at WOT? Lol

I'm sure Ill get bashed for this ..but

I actually enjoy WOT better in high HP cars when they are automatic.

Just press down on the pedal and let the torque pin you to the seat.

Just feels more fun to me than shifting through a power band.

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
After my fobra I went to a Mercedes c-class. It was an awesome car, did great on gas, looked nice......:sleeping:. It was completely boring, don't get a sedan unless you actually need one. There is nothing wrong with a sports sedan, this is just my experience. After driving a coyote I wish I would have done it sooner! I'm a real estate agent so I drive quite a bit, I could honestly care less about gas because I have more fun driving the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread