Practicality vs Fun...or Comfortable

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Mark...how was it for you going from a manual transmission to an automatic or rather an automatic to a manual? Whats your experience like?

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
And thats what im super afraid of lol. Getting a sport sedan, just to find out its a sedan trying to be sporty. Yet the upside is practicality and comfort. Kind of an awkward balance or sacrifice depending on how you look at it.

After my fobra I went to a Mercedes c-class. It was an awesome car, did great on gas, looked nice......:sleeping:. It was completely boring, don't get a sedan unless you actually need one. There is nothing wrong with a sports sedan, this is just my experience. After driving a coyote I wish I would have done it sooner! I'm a real estate agent so I drive quite a bit, I could honestly care less about gas because I have more fun driving the car.

...Mark...

Established Member
Mark...how was it for you going from a manual transmission to an automatic or rather an automatic to a manual? Whats your experience like?

I'm 37, but i have always had manuals.. Growing up in NY i always had a summer ride and a DD beater. The beaters were almost always auto's but all my sporty cars were manuals. I have had a Corrado, AWD DSM, 300ZX Twin Turbo, C5 Z06, Acura TL A-Spec(yeah, that lasted all of 8 months) all manuals.. When i moved to Atlanta and had kids is when i got into the sport sedans. I had a B6 S4 and the G8 both auto's. Reason being is that traffic here is horrid. Only having one car here i couldn't do a manual.. That would have been suicide..lol

So to answer the question, i am a die hard manual guy but i opted for auto's due to my commute. For me to drive two autos for 5+ years between the S4 and the G8 and then jump back into a manual when i got my mustang wasn't a big deal. I learned to drive on a manual at 15 and drove them for years.

It's like riding a bike, you just have to figure out where the clutch is gonna grab on that initial test drive and you are good to go.;-)

...Mark...

Established Member
And thats what im super afraid of lol. Getting a sport sedan, just to find out its a sedan trying to be sporty. Yet the upside is practicality and comfort. Kind of an awkward balance or sacrifice depending on how you look at it.

If you are expecting to jump into a bone stock G8 GT and it to be sporty... That isn't gonna happen. Go test drive one and throw it into a turn. You'll be really let down. Serious. GXP is a different story.

For me to get the car to handle the way i wanted it to i upgraded to GXP shocks, H&R springs, polyurethane bushings, and staggered 19" 275's and 245's.

My advice is to be honest with yourself and see if you will be looking to mod it a fair amount. If so it can become a nice sporty car. If not, look into something else.. E60 535/550i's are super affordable now as are M5's. Just make sure you look at a CPO one..lol

Last edited:

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
Thanks, I've always driven manual and never thought of driving an auto. My commute isn't bad, yeah, traffic here and there, but nothing i should really complain about. For the firat time,literally.ever. Ive been pondering about the idea of driving an automatic. I don't have kids, and normally, i drive alone (with the exception of the gf). I rarely ever see a G8 on the road. The GXP would be an awesome find, but they are more rare than the damn GT lol.

I'm 37, but i have always had manuals.. Growing up in NY i always had a summer ride and a DD beater. The beaters were almost always auto's but all my sporty cars were manuals. I have had a Corrado, AWD DSM, 300ZX Twin Turbo, C5 Z06, Acura TL A-Spec(yeah, that lasted all of 8 months) all manuals.. When i moved to Atlanta and had kids is when i got into the sport sedans. I had a B6 S4 and the G8 both auto's. Reason being is that traffic here is horrid. Only having one car here i couldn't do a manual.. That would have been suicide..lol

So to answer the question, i am a die hard manual guy but i opted for auto's due to my commute. For me to drive two autos for 5+ years between the S4 and the G8 and then jump back into a manual when i got my mustang wasn't a big deal. I learned to drive on a manual at 15 and drove them for years.

It's like riding a bike, you just have to figure out where the clutch is gonna grab on that initial test drive and you are good to go.;-)

dannydarko11

Yeah...no, I know
Established Member
I was under the impression that they were pretty stout cars stock. Heavy. But stout. If modding is neccessary for it I wouldn't mind, although I like the thought of doing simplistic mods on cars, and not too over the top. I don't need a 10 sec DD lol. I think thats what i was expecting put of a G8, an affordable M5 or something lol. Something you really wouldn't need to mod to have as a enjoyable yet sporty DD. I/H/E suspension is really as far as i like to go
When it comes to mods. But i'm leaning more toward the 5.0 as of right now. If i can find a G8 to test drive, i will see how it feels and go from there. But i have a strong feeling i'll be in a 5.0 before that even happens lol.
If you are expecting to jump into a bone stock G8 GT and it to be sporty... That isn't gonna happen. Go test drive one and throw it into a turn. You'll be really let down. Serious. GXP is a different story.

For me to get the car to handle the way i wanted it to i upgraded to GXP shocks, H&R springs, polyurethane bushings, and staggered 19" 275's and 245's.

My advice is to be honest with yourself and see if you will be looking to mod it a fair amount. If so it can become a nice sporty car. If not, look into something else.. E60 535/550i's are super affordable now as are M5's. Just make sure you look at a CPO one..lol

Users who are viewing this thread