Predator .can It Void Warrenty?

whippleblown03

Established Member
I want to buy a predator programmer. if i have any problems and take it in for warrenty work can they tell if i have changed the program. if i put the stock program back in is it detectable. i just hear about the dreaded tick and would hate to get a voided warrenty. or maybe i just wont even mess with it. for now!!!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
some say yes and some say no. I doubt you can detect it but what do I know? :shrug:

I say if you do it, know there is a chance they can void your warranty. If you don't want to take that chance don't do it.

oldmodman

Established Member
If you leave it lying on your front seat it will!
But from everything that I have heard on this and seven other forums the program change can not be detected after you change it back to stock.
Since there are hundreds of them in use by now we should have
heard someone bitch about a voided warranty.
But if you do buy one get it from a reputable tuner that will support you with custom tunes at no additional charge.
Preferably a tuner near you.

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
I'm not an expert on the EEC system, but a service writer at a local Ford dealership near the BMW dealer that I work at said that it leaves a soft code in the computer that can't be erased. I don't know if it's true or not, but I have a chip in my computer and I looked up the fault memory with my MAC Tools code scanner and there are no codes set in my computer.:shrug:

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by UltimateSVT
I'm not an expert on the EEC system, but a service writer at a local Ford dealership near the BMW dealer that I work at said that it leaves a soft code in the computer that can't be erased. I don't know if it's true or not, but I have a chip in my computer and I looked up the fault memory with my MAC Tools code scanner and there are no codes set in my computer.:shrug:

I think that is just a rumor, I'm pretty sure what oldmodman said is true.

poppakap

The Anti Rice
Established Member
As anyone had an SVT inspector out on their car after using a Predator yet? It seems like Ford must have gone over a Predator tuned car with their fine toothed comb be now. Anyone actually know someone who has been denied due to the Predator or is it just rumor?

UltimateSVT

Steer with the Rear
Established Member
I know with the Bimmers, If I use the GTone and go into programming, it tells me how many more times I can reprogram the ECU. If the car has never been programmed before, except on the assembly line, it should read 13 times. If it is less, then I look at the history of the vehicle and see if the vehicle was reprogrammed under warranty. If not, I check the program numbers and basic numbers in the diagnosis function of the GTone. So, that's why I kind of believed the guy, since Ford makes such a big deal about chips or reflashing with aftermarket software and I'm able to see that kind of stuff on BMWs and MINIs.

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
I can believe that. Is there any way to check this theory for sure without using WDS?

I'll volunteer to be th guinea pig if someone in the area wants to check.

whippleblown03

Established Member
thanks for the info. i only got about 600 miles on her and 2 weeks of ownership. i am going to hold off on the mods(if i can) for now. going to go run it threw the 1/4 this coming friday. i hope to nock down my first 12 second run. but then i want to go back later on with a cold air, preadator and exhaust. and see what it runs.

FordFreak

Established Member
Ford cannont find out if you are using the predator.
What they do see though is a date from the last update. A tech will think it was a program update or something like that.
I also hear from a buddy of mine that the date can be deleted too.

Only way to know is to try.

RossSVT

Established Member
Don't know if this is helpful but the service manager at my SVT dealership did tell me (because I asked if they were a mod friendly dealership) that Ford is really cracking down on the performance warranty claims. It is really not up to them with any type of major drive train failure. They must call the zone rep. the rep then inspects the car. He gave me an example of a customer who replace the aftermarket cat back prior to bringing in the car for a clutch faliure. The zone rep looked at everything. Spotted that the nuts on the exhaust were recently removed (broken from the factory) and just denied the claim. After some back and forth they fixed the car. But he also said that the zone rep will be able to tell, with their new scanners, if the program is original or not and if the program was changed and when it was changed back. He also said that he would do any modification at all in his service department if I would sign a waiver on the factory warranty.........friendly.......huh.....

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
They will be able to tell when the computer was last flashed even if you go back to the stock tune. If a ford dealer reflashes your computer it would be on oasis and they would attach a stciker similar to this to show that it was a authorized reflash. So technically they could void warranty for any unothorized reflash of the computer, to see photo, coppy, whole line and drop it in adress bar, something is screwwy with the adress, the img tool was not working.

http://home.sport.rr.com/marcsterminator/99 cobra (6).jpg

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by FordFreak4.6
Ford cannont find out if you are using the predator.
What they do see though is a date from the last update. A tech will think it was a program update or something like that.
I also hear from a buddy of mine that the date can be deleted too.

Only way to know is to try.

Where does the date come from?
The Predator doesn't have a clock or date function.

Does the Dealer flash tool permit the tech to enter a date when they flash the ECM that is stored in the ECM?

Users who are viewing this thread