Predator Data

Ratman

Established Member
I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread so guys can post information soley concerning the Predator.

Larry said he would tag it and keep it at the top of the 2nd Generation Forum so that it stays at the top and doesn't drift into history.

Please post any and all information about your successes and failures in dealing with the Predator. Looking for things that you learned, any advice, and general data.

I realize that a lot of what you program into the predator is determined by your specific mods and some environmental factors, but your data will at least give us all a general idea and starting point.

If you don't think this is a good idea, then give Larry your feedback or just don't participate. Thanks.

Wehnes

Established Member
So after all these months of people asking when the Predator is comming out.... None of you have purchased one yet? If you have, post some results already..

Mine should be here tommorrow and as soon as I get free time, I will post a before and after dyno of the stock #2 program. I still want to see other peoples results..

ralphy1798

Established Member
Posted this in its own thread, but now i realize it belongs here... sorry...

I've got my predator and so far the only results i have is the fact that it screwed up my computer... It somehow got stuck with the tune on my comp and the predator not remembering it ever backed up my stock program, so it wouldnt restore backup or modify the dangerous tune it put on my computer... This happened b/c I installed a tune and didnt unplug the predator. I hit "continue" to go back and modify some things...

Here is what I have gathered about the predator so far...

The tunes on the predator from diablo seem strange to both me and my tuner. They are all over the place on there timing and fuel deliveries. I got pinging at high RPMs with both the base tune and the pulley tune. I have no pulley, but thought I would try that one b/c the timing is backed off. I ended up having to have a custom made tune for myself b/c of california. The timing on my custom tune was much less advanced over stock than the tunes built in to the predator. I am now on tune #10, and zoning in on the perfect tune.

Let me tell you, I can feel a difference for sure (~20 horse)

I know Gtech is not a reliable source of performance, but it gives a good "Delta" between before and after a tune or upgrade. It is in no way an accurate measure of absolute anything.

So far with a G-Tech I have noticed from it saying i was 345 at the wheels stock to 365 with the tune. I can reliably switch between the two progs and get the same results...

My 0-60 times went from 5.75 -> 5.25 with the G-tech

Once I get my tune on there that I like, I am going to go to a dyno and do a stock vs. predator tuned truck.

As far as the Air/Fuel goes i found something that is pretty cool. The predator will show you the voltage that your O2 sensors are puting out. I ran my truck with the predator monitoring this while i had the tune set to stock. at WOT I got .87 volts. .87 volts means 12.7:1 A/F. Now this is not a reasonable A/F for the stock truck, it is much too lean. However with the location of the 02 sensors, they will read lean. Because of this, again only delta measurements can be tested. You can only say "I am running leaner than stock, or richer than stock." you cannot say I am running an A/F ratio of 12.7:1. SO... I installed the predator tune on the truck and went for another run. I saw as low as .81 volts. The lower the voltage the leaner the mixture. So i can say that I was leaner than stock (not what I want, I want a safe tune). I called my tuner and told him about my tests. He made me some richer tunes with the same timing. So now I have a few more progs to play with when i get home tonight. I am shooting for .87 volts on the O2 reading and I will feel fairly safe that I am running close to stock A/F wise. the only problem wih this is that the O2 sensor is not a wideband. It saturates at 1V meaning the lowest A/F mixture it can read in a 12.0:1. Remember this is down stream though and reads leaner than actual.

The coolest thing about the predator is the fact that you tunes can be emailed to you!!!! No more trips to the tuner for colder weather or mild mods... I think that the truck should still be put up on a dyno to get true A/F and hp readings which i am going to do within 2 weeks. For now I am running stock settings until I can get a true A/F reading.

The predator seems to be able to do everything a normal chip would do, but there is a lot more to play with for the user and it is much easier to get it changed if the tune is not right. My tuner even took off the torque reduction on the 1-2 shift.

Hope this helps everyone.

Any questions please ask... I know this thing inside and out now!

Wehnes

Established Member
Well, it's here and been tested. All I can say is "WOW". I performed before and after dyno results of program #2 (pulley).

Before After
RWHP 372 403
Torque 481 517
A/F 12.5 12.0

I received a 31hp gain by just pushing a couple buttons. Plus I can even datalog with this thing. I had NO pinging or detonation with 93 BP (amoco) gas. Truck runs smooth at idle and no errors codes are being reported.

For you guys having problems. It seems you all have the same thing in common, you live in CA. You should know better than anyone how much your gas sucks and an "additive" is needed.

ralphy1798

Established Member
Originally posted by Wehnes
Well, it's here and been tested. All I can say is "WOW". I performed before and after dyno results of program #2 (pulley).

Before After
RWHP 372 403
Torque 481 517
A/F 12.5 12.0

I received a 31hp gain by just pushing a couple buttons. Plus I can even datalog with this thing. I had NO pinging or detonation with 93 BP (amoco) gas. Truck runs smooth at idle and no errors codes are being reported.

For you guys having problems. It seems you all have the same thing in common, you live in CA. You should know better than anyone how much your gas sucks and an "additive" is needed.

Just an octane booster? What do you recomend? I think i will just tone down the tune a bit...

InS0mNiAc

Just call me Lucifer
Established Member
Just tone down the tune, no need in adding some octane booster to every tank of gas. Like my sig says, boosted by crapy cali gas

Users who are viewing this thread