Predator Pulley Tune Dyno...richened 10%

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by Copperhead
It may be. I have read that it isn't that dangerous until you start getting up into the higher RPM's...but I really don't know for sure.

That's why I like SVTPerformance :) I'm afraid I only know enough to be dangerous instead of helpful.

One thing I know for sure though is...I don't want to burn a piston.

The way I'm thinking ::

Most of the time you will get into boost between 2500 - 5500, like on the highway etc... You'd probably want the A/F to be spot on there.

With a 2.80 you are right at the breaking point of the blower at redline, so you probably don't want to get there too often. So A/F doesn't matter to me too much at that RPM.

If I'm below 13 (hopefully 12) in the 2500 - 5500 with the new intake I'll be happy.

From what I understand, that much leaness actually costs you some power too.
-Peter

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
Quick question ... what is the stock A/F at those ranges compared to this one? Can anyone put up a pick of a stock dyno w/ A/F ?

thanks,
Crowley

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I agree, that is way too lean. I just glanced over the charts quickly, but it looks like you are never under 13.1 a/f until 5500rpm, that is way too dangerous for me. Think about it, how many times are you pushing the car under 5500rpm, alot! Everyone has a different opinion, but I would never settle for a tune like that.

I think some of the early complaints on the Predator's performance is due in part to operator error. We have all seen the posts from owners who are confused over which way to go when raising/lowering fuel levers, timing, etc.

mswaim - thats not necessarily true. You cant really do any custom tuning. Yea you can + or - from the whole a/f curve, but there really isn't any on the fly, custom tuning, (like adjusting the curve by each rpm) you can't say its operator error because all these people are doing is putting on the mods and then flashing in the predator tune. So its not their fault if its too lean. So far, it seems like the tunes are way too lean down low, and then drop to super rich up top. That is not the way it should be.

Last edited:

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Pyro,

I was running 93 octane. I don't understand what you guys are saying...do you all really find yourselves below 5500RPM that often?

:) j/k

I think I will go easy on it down low. Does the DC really make it THAT lean at the lower RPM's?

Pyro

Established Member
Pyro,

I was running 93 octane. I don't understand what you guys are saying...do you all really find yourselves below 5500RPM that often?

:) j/k

I think I will go easy on it down low. Does the DC really make it THAT lean at the lower RPM's?

That explains why I cant use the Pulley Tune with my 2.80 pulley in Cali. All we have is the crap gas (91). I'm going to richen mine up by 10% and see if I can feel any SOTP difference. It cant hurt.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I don't understand what you guys are saying...do you all really find yourselves below 5500RPM that often?

lol, just be really careful. Part of the fun of driving the 03 cobra is all the low end torque so I do get on the car alot under 5500rpm.

But I have the same question as you. I don't think the denscharger is at fault. My buddy and I had the exact same mods, and the exact same chip tuned the exact same way, only difference was he had the denscharger and I had the UPR intake. My a/f was 11.8 - 12.1 and his was 12.5 -13.1. It leaned his car out alittle bit, but I don't think the denscharger will cause someones car to run way over 13 or 14.1 a/f.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
alot of people i have been seeing with the Predator pulley tune has been lean like that in the lower RPMs. I dont see how that is "safe" since you are pretty much making full boost @3000 RPMs. And you cannot richen the lower RPMs up with the predator since that will affect your higher RPM a/f as well. Does anyone with a Predator Pulley tune have a straight line for an a/F and not a slope??

dave

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
here is my BONE stock A/F graph. paper filter still on. No mods. Just the silencer removed. If you guys need it for comparison

stockdyno_medium.jpg

nuxx

Established Member
WTF it's the same?!?!?!?

Hmmm, I guess it's not "that" lean if it's like that stock.
-Peter

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
wow, I havent seen enough stock dyno's in person to compare, but I didnt know the a/f curve was that drastic. I knew in the upper rpms the car is super rich, but that is pretty crazy.

nuxx - thats really not lean, notice that by 2500rpms the a/f is aleady making its way down past 12.5 then after 2500, its going straight down off the chart. Thats why some people can get away with a 2.93 pulley with no chip, because Ford made the car super rich to be on the safe side.

If you compare the stock dyno to the predator dyno in this thread, the predator dyno is above 13.1 until 5500rpms, that is way lean. Either way, his predator tune is not what it should be.

Does anyone agree with me or am I just sounding like an idiot?

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Has anyone had luck yet with Diablo sending them a custom tune to install using their predator? If so, does anyone know how you mate the predator to a PC?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Has anyone had luck yet with Diablo sending them a custom tune to install using their predator? If so, does anyone know how you mate the predator to a PC?

I beleive the software is going to be released soon. From the way it looks you will need a power supply that plugs into the top of the Predator then into an outlet to power it. Then on the bottom it looks like a normal serial cable would be needed.

That is my bone stock A/F graph, looks just like the one with the pulley. So i wonder if the a/f with that 2.8 graph is ok? with it being lean in that low of an RPM. someone must know

Dave

Copperhead

"Cover me, Porkins!"
Established Member
Thanks for the Dyno post Juiced. It does give me some comfort, but it may still be too lean down low. I imagine safety is somewhat relative. A lot depends on conditions I would imagine. But I would be concerned that as winter approaches, and the air cools off, that it will be even leaner.

Does that sound right?

jdpepper

Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
I beleive the software is going to be released soon. From the way it looks you will need a power supply that plugs into the top of the Predator then into an outlet to power it. Then on the bottom it looks like a normal serial cable would be needed.

That is my bone stock A/F graph, looks just like the one with the pulley. So i wonder if the a/f with that 2.8 graph is ok? with it being lean in that low of an RPM. someone must know

Dave

Is the software going to allow the enduser to make changes or is it only going to allow you to send and recieve tunes?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Im not quite sure on that. As far as i know your dealer makes the changes for you and sends them for you to load and that is all. My dealer is doing custom tunes for free as long as it is not radical

dave

2K3BRA

Established Member
12.1 is what i been told to shoot for when you have a blower. On my blown 01 gt we did 12.1 : 1 anything near 13 is too lean for boost, I am pretty sure. You guys might wanna run these graphs by some hardcore tuners. They seem REALLY LEAN down low, I just don't wanna see anyone blow up.

heres mine from my supercharged 01 gt vert
379.jpg

::Tune by Kauffman Motorsport in Dillsburg, PA::

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
yes they are definetely lean down low. However by looking at my stock dyno a/f it "seems" ok to be that low since ford tuned the cars that way. The big question is.....Is it ok to be that lean @ a lower RPM. I would assume it is not a good thing. However why is the Ford tune like that as well?

Dave

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by 2K3BRA
12.1 is what i been told to shoot for when you have a blower. On my blown 01 gt we did 12.1 : 1 anything near 13 is too lean for boost, I am pretty sure. You guys might wanna run these graphs by some hardcore tuners. They seem REALLY LEAN down low, I just don't wanna see anyone blow up.

heres mine from my supercharged 01 gt vert

::Tune by Kauffman Motorsport in Dillsburg, PA::

That is a perfect a/f line. But it is hard to compare a centri blower to ours. Since our max boost is coming on much earlier instead of peaking at max RPM. A/f should be somewhere around 11.5-12.0. Kauffmann knows their stuff. I drove 5 hours to them for them to tune my Procharged GT. I may just have to take a trip out there again if this Predator thing doesnt work out

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread