Prepare for Insanity | 16k-Mile 2003 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L Power Stroke 4×4 on BaT

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif

dunndeal

Established Member
A friend of mine has a car collection of 15 or 16 cars worth $5 -$6 million, he never buys at auctions like BaT or Barrett-Jackson, he says the frenzy always drives the prices 25% - 30% higher than realistic.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A friend of mine has a car collection of 15 or 16 cars worth $5 -$6 million, he never buys at auctions like BaT or Barrett-Jackson, he says the frenzy always drives the prices 25% - 30% higher than realistic.
Well, sometimes your friend would be right.. other times he'd be wrong.

Sent from my Potato

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Given his collection and his other assets I'd say he's FAR more often right than wrong. But you're probably right also.
What does his collection and other assets have to do with your claim that auctions like BaT and BJ (and you have to include Mecum) bring a bidding frenzy that always drives the prices 25% - 30% higher than realistic. You need to watch more Mecum auctions. The 'Bid Goes On' frequently happens for a reason. Bidding doesn't meet the Reserve or bidders aren't willing to spend more. A true test of your claim would be an analysis of specific cars (final bid) at those auctions compared to similar cars selling privately or at smaller auction venues. And don't forget to include factors like desirability, condition, mileage, correctness to original factory, etc.

At $400K per vehicle, I'd say your friend has quite a collection.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
What does his collection and other assets have to do with your claim that auctions like BaT and BJ (and you have to include Mecum) bring a bidding frenzy that always drives the prices 25% - 30% higher than realistic. You need to watch more Mecum auctions. The 'Bid Goes On' frequently happens for a reason. Bidding doesn't meet the Reserve or bidders aren't willing to spend more. A true test of your claim would be an analysis of specific cars (final bid) at those auctions compared to similar cars selling privately or at smaller auction venues. And don't forget to include factors like desirability, condition, mileage, correctness to original factory, etc.

At $400K per vehicle, I'd say your friend has quite a collection.

My understanding is that Mecum is where you go to dump something on a gullible buyer.

I have seen several late 60s unicorn muscle cars that were fishy that went through Mecum.

I am basing this on comments I have seen on BAT on w30 442s, ls6 chevelles, super duty t/as. The type of cars that you REALLY need to know or you will get your face ripped off.

_Snake_

Established Member
What does his collection and other assets have to do with your claim that auctions like BaT and BJ (and you have to include Mecum) bring a bidding frenzy that always drives the prices 25% - 30% higher than realistic.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say his friend's experience buying and selling $$$$$$ cars at multiple venues.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This one is going to go to the moon:

Doubtful.

I think the highest $$$ spent on BaT is around $1.35mil.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This will probably beat that, the Senna has an MSRP of $1.7M and I'm sure it got every penny. It's a new auction an already at $1M.

Maybe!

There's a G Wagon 6x6 on there now that started at $1mil on day 1, and it's at $1.1mil now.

The car that sold for $1.3 was a Duesenburg, and similar models have sold for $20mil at traditional auctions.

Users who are viewing this thread