Prepping the 98 Cobra for the Open Track!

racebronco2

Established Member
I am still using the stock oil pan modded to keep oil from sloshing around during cornering. I read that a well known drag racer says that even though you get a 7qt oil pan the oil pump can suck the pan dry cause our heads hold so much oil in them, he went on to say that the windage tray helped to supply oil to the oil pump. I would guess it's because it directs the draining oil down into the pan instead of being whipped around from the crank.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Windage tray and accusump, would that be overkill? I have neither, but I assume accusump is more important. Winter project will be accusump for me.

Dave

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
OK

I made some performance shops very happy:

I ordered the following:
  • Steeda X2 Ball Joints
  • Torsen T2R w/ new carrier bearings
  • Moser 31 Spline Forged Axles
  • ARP Wheel Studs (I'm going to throw on my 3/8 Reichard Racing Rear Wheel Spacers)
  • TA Rear Differential Cover
  • Stainless Braided Brake Lines
  • Water Wetter Radiator Coolant Additive
  • 3-quart Accusump Performance Safety Oiling System
  • Accusump Mounting brackets
  • 1996-2004 Mustang 4.6L Accusump Installation Kit
  • Mustang 4.6L/5.4L GT/Cobra Windage Tray
  • 1996-2004 Mustang 4.6L GT/Cobra Road Race Oil Pan

All that's left is the T1 wing and rotors and this sucker is going to be right where I want it.

The car was dropped off at my buddies shop getting a driver side tie rod replaced and I'm having the Kenny Brown Panhard Bar and torque arm bar installed. We are also planning on lowering the rear more and when the steeda ball joints arrive we will lower the front as well.

We may have to grind down the TA cover, but there is plenty of material to do so.

Thanks for all the help thus far guys.:beer:

Please share your thoughts on the stuff purchased and let me know if I'm missing something.

As you can tell I'm dying to get out on the track. My main "Nemesis" is my Chevy buddy with a built 97 SS doing 350-400rwhp.... :beer:

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
David,
The list looks great!

Dave,
Tray and Accusump... Overkill....? More like a dual insurance policy on that nice brand new motor that you have in your car. Im running both in the race car.

Don't you mean winter project for me?? haha

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yeah, but I'm used to it!!! :beer:
DSC01314.jpg

DSC01298.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
That's Daves, youll have to ask him about them. I do know theyre for his suuuhhleeeennnn bumper cover. <haha There are some better pix of them on the last page of the brake duct thread.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
All I can tell from those above pictures.......Anthony, you need to shave that pussy-hair off your chin! LOL.........jk, if I could only grow hair.

That was fun time taking the suuleeen apart, its only the tip of the iceburg though.....

good pics.

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
David,
The list looks great!

Dave,
Tray and Accusump... Overkill....? More like a dual insurance policy on that nice brand new motor that you have in your car. Im running both in the race car.

Don't you mean winter project for me?? haha

I am pretty sure I don't have a windage tray, but a 3-qt accusump is coming this winter with all the other goodies!!!........:rolling:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So some parts have arrived and some more parts are on the car.

We replaced a driver side tie rod and a few other things. Tightened up the steering a bit and installed the panhard bar setup. We also lowered the car a bit more (still more lowering to come).

Today I got a fairly aggressive alignment and all I can say is WOW. The car is so much more responsive, stiffer, tighter and just plain handles MUCH better.

The new 31 spline Moser axles arrived today along with my 4 russell stainless braided lines and water wetter.

I should have the rest of the parts by the end of the week and then it's out with the old and in with the new!

I specifically can't WAIT to get rid of the stock differential and throw in that T2R. I hate inside tire wheel spin coming out of the turn!!!!:bash:

Pics to come!

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
03SteedaGT said:
I am looking forward to hearing what you think about it on track. Sounds like you are going to have very nice track toy on your hands.
Thanks! The 04 will still see the track, but the 98 will be the main track toy.

I can't wait to see how she performs on track!

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
The rest of the parts will be here this Weds.

The car will be going into the shop shortly after and hopefully mechanically will be done in time for the next track day.

I'm dying to see how this car will perform on the track.

Moser 31 Spline forged axles - arrived
T2R w/ new carrier bearings - arrived
Canton Road Race Pan - arrived
Canton Windage Tray - arrived
Canton Universal dipstick for canton pans - arrived
Canton Accumsump kit - arrived
Brake cooling kit - arrived
4 Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines - arrived

Waiting on:
TA Differential Cover
TA Differential Cover stud kit
Steeda X2 Ball Joints
Canton Accumsump Valve
10 x ARP Rear Wheel Stud (fits .603"-.613" hole)
...and of course the new wing!:beer:

I'm going to check the front and rear pads before I hit the track. What pad should I go with?

I can't wait!!!!

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm curious why the Moser 31 spline axles are needed. Maybe for drag racing, but has anyone had trouble with stock ones on track?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
gcassidy said:
I'm curious why the Moser 31 spline axles are needed. Maybe for drag racing, but has anyone had trouble with stock ones on track?
No the stocl ones are fine, but I was changing the differential and decided I'd order a 31 spline so I could just upgrade the axles while we were in there. Might as well I thought. So I did. I also did it because I want to make a well rounded weekend warrior. I'll drag it against my friend occasionally, but drag<open track :beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Ok, she's under the knife finally!

I'm getting the rear end put in today and had a question for you guys. I'm using royal purple gear oil for the differential and was wondering if I need friction modifier as well. I hae heard that using it will gum up the oil in the differential. Is this true?

Thoughts? Please let me know.

I also purchased the Steeda bumpsteer kit to go along with the Steeda X2 ball joints. Should be here on Weds. I just can't wait to get this car all finished.

Users who are viewing this thread