Prepping the 98 Cobra for the Open Track!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
Venomous01, you are on crack with all these upgrades!! Wish I had the time and money, post some pics!!

Dave

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
The built rear end is getting buttoned up today and should be rear to go by EOD. Steeda Bumpsteer kit will be here Wednesday and then we'll get the suspension and brakes dialed in and worked on.

After that all that is left is the canton road race pan and the accumsump kit. We're getting closer!

:beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I'm thinking of taking out the radio/cd player and adding the avic-n4 with vehicle diagnostics in the upper single din and a gauge bezel on the lower single din for 2 interceptor gauges (4 monitoring variables).

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
dtheo said:
you installing this all yourself?
If I had you and Anthony here of course, but unfortunately no. If I took install costs on all this stuff I'd have even more mods on this thing. :lol1:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Well we had to replace the side bearing spacers in the rear b/c the ones that were in there were cracked. We also replaced the outer axle seals while we were in there. Also b/c the ARP studs are longer I had to go to with open lugs. Well I guess I'll never have to worry about the rear end again - (knock on wood of course).

On to the suspension now... (Installing the Steeda X2 ball joints and bumpsteer kit and lowering the car some more).

Then the brakes (steel braided brake lines, Valvoline full synthetic brake fluid, brake cooling ducts and pads if needed)

Then the accusump and oil pan.

Because my buddy is having some issues with his built SS we decided to hold off on the next track event until his car is ready. So I have a little bit of time to get everything installed and sorted out on the 98 until the next OT event.

Last edited:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So because the ARP studs were so long I decided to space out the wheels further then just the RR 3/8 spacer would and added another 5/12 spacer. I think it looks great and should allow me to run some fat meats on the back.

I'm currently running 295s but would like to run a 315 or even dare I say it a 335. Is there a point with open tracking where the tire is just too big?

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
When you plow.
Think balance, something our poor little Mustangs are very short on.
Explain?

Rear end is in and wow the car feels 100 times better. No inside tire wheel spin! Rear feels very solid!

Tomorrow the steeda x2 ball joints and bumpsteer kit are getting installed.

Also dtheo is helping me get a saleen T1 wing custom made by Tiger racing. The wing should be finished by the end of next week and painted and installed on the car shortly after that.

Chipping away at this project.

wheelhopper

Established Member
Chipping away at the project!!!

Looks like you're moving full steam ahead. I keep waiting for an update on how she performs.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Explain?

Rear end is in and wow the car feels 100 times better. No inside tire wheel spin! Rear feels very solid!

Tomorrow the steeda x2 ball joints and bumpsteer kit are getting installed.

Also dtheo is helping me get a saleen T1 wing custom made by Tiger racing. The wing should be finished by the end of next week and painted and installed on the car shortly after that.

Chipping away at this project.

May just be a power/track/driving style differences. My rear end is almost always planted, and I'm fighting front end push, but I don't have a lot of power. Last thing I would ever need is more rear tire. If you have no understeer/oversteer problems, congrats.
I've just seen some go to larger tires in the rear, and all of a sudden they're fighting a tight car.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
May just be a power/track/driving style differences. My rear end is almost always planted, and I'm fighting front end push, but I don't have a lot of power. Last thing I would ever need is more rear tire. If you have no understeer/oversteer problems, congrats.
I've just seen some go to larger tires in the rear, and all of a sudden they're fighting a tight car.
Ah I understand now... you were responding to my question about larger rear tires. :beer:

Good insight. Much appreciated.

Car is in the shop now getting the suspension parts installed as well as the brake cooling ducts. Then on to the next thing.:read:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ah I understand now... you were responding to my question about larger rear tires. :beer:

Good insight. Much appreciated.

Car is in the shop now getting the suspension parts installed as well as the brake cooling ducts. Then on to the next thing.:read:

Yeah, I forget to quote sometimes. :loser:

Sounds like a killer car. Can't wait to see it done.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Steeda x2 ball joints and bumpsteer kit are now in the car and the car has a pretty aggressive alignment. We also lowered the car a bit more in the front and rear (the control arms are level still). Both parts made a significant change to the ride height and handling and I am pleased.

Next are the brake cooling ducts, steel braided lines, valvoline full synthetic brake fluid and Saleen T1 wing installation.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
So I'm completely relearning this car right now. I can tell this car has a lot in it. It feels a lot lighter then my 04 or even my 01.

The car is incredibly responsive and I can't tell you how much I love the torsen T2R. I have one in my 04 in addition to the 98 and overall its a great piece.

Not much more left to do. I'm more then excited to get her on the track. My comfort level is getting better and better with the car, but far from where it is with the 04 (if that makes any sense - 700hp car versus a 320hp car or so and I'm more comfortable with the 700hp car?) Well its the truth, but I'll get more and more comfortable as I feel the car out and understand the limits - which I will when I get out on the track with more seat time.

I'll continue to keep you all posted on the progress and will post a load of pictures when she is done.

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
Time for more parts!

Well I can tell th tranny is about to be on its last leg and the king cobra clutch has probably had better days.

I have another tranny with low miles on it, and 03/04 cobra flywheel and a Centerforce DF clutch. I'm also going to order a Ford heavy duty throw out bearing that is going in now as well.

Since the mid pipe will hae to come off to swap trannys I'm thinking of going with the BBK catted H mid pipe.

Also since we'll need to raise the engine or drop the k-member I'm going to throw in some poly motor mounts I think.

Because I'm going to flush the coolant system and run distilled water with water wetter I'm going to throw in a fluidyne radiator and a 180 stat as well.

Pretty sure that covers everything. Large project hear guys, but the track toy should be awesome when its done.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If its a track toy go with a O/R X keep a stock catted H around for inspections if the car will still be street driven.

Call MM and get their solid engine mounts.

Just a few suggestions.... :beer:

Venomous01

Building Boost
Established Member
I'm placing an order for this mid-pipe and a single blade throttle body. I'm porting the intake manifold and cutting out the middle section between the two inlets.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
A hand held tuner or a dyno tune will turn off the rear 02s. A trip to the dyno with the car wouldnt be a bad idea even in near stock form. Dial the Air/Fuel ratio in right on the money.

Users who are viewing this thread