Pro 5.0 Shifter Dust Boot

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Fellow SN95ers, I bought a 95 model with a Pro 5.0. I removed the tranny and there is a lot of debris in the top of the shifter. The vehicle has the stock rubber shift boot that attaches to the tranny hump. But the top of the shifter is fully exposed to the elements from the bottom of the car. In fact, I removed the shifter to work on the tranny and you can see daylight looking at the pivot in the shifter turret. Which means some junk is getting in the tranny.

Anyone with a Pro 5.0 know if it had some sort of a dust boot that went over the turret?

Thanks, Tom

shurur

Established Member
Iirc the original dust boot gets cut to remove the flaps, so that the remaining center part just stretches over the 5.0 shifter. That's how mine is.

LMR sells a shifter boot.
All-State sells one too.

Last edited:

Mark99GT

Established Member
I was looking at this

And there's this (looks like it would fit but I don't know for sure)

I have the same concern with my Pro 5.0 and my lower gasket is cut like shurur described. But I can still see dust accumulating. I'm reluctant to spend $50 on a rubber boot though. If you find something update with what you got.

shurur

Established Member
I was looking at this

And there's this (looks like it would fit but I don't know for sure)

I have the same concern with my Pro 5.0 and my lower gasket is cut like shurur described. But I can still see dust accumulating. I'm reluctant to spend $50 on a rubber boot though. If you find something update with what you got.
I can't seem to paste a link anymore in SVTP...but try All-State.
Pretty frustrating..Chrome issue...

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Looking at the two of those, I'd go with Cobra Valley's debris cover. A bit cheaper and specifically designed for what you're wanting it to do.

shurur

Established Member
Looking at the two of those, I'd go with Cobra Valley's debris cover. A bit cheaper and specifically designed for what you're wanting it to do.
$48 vs $12??

Unless the shipping is a killer..the allstate is cheaper..probably cheaper than a used oem on ebay..

As far as I am concerned the claims of specific fitment are vague claims at best.

If the allstate fits the t45 it should be at least as good as an OEM boot.

It is your money.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Tom, could you post a photo of the installed Allstate cover after it's installed?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I received the Allstate version and it does NOT fit. The upper collar on the shifter is too large and the boot is not as flexible as I expected. It looks identical to the CJ Pony Parts version.

I'm ordering the Cobra Valley version.

Tom

Cobra Jet

Established Member
So it’s been now 17-18 years since I installed my Pro 5.0 into my 94 Cobra (and used it in prior 86-93 Mustangs w/T5).

My install was done exactly like this install in the attached video. Fast forward the video until he gets the Pro 5.0 mounted to the trans. Then watch what he does with the factory trans tunnel inner boot. That is exactly how my Pro 5.0 is in my 94 Cobra, as well as any other Fox Mustang I’ve used it in before my 94 Cobra.

See here:

The stock factory shifter “boot” being referred to in the above images or links in Post #3 and #4 won’t fit over the Pro 5.0 tower - and you would have to have Hulk hands to stretch it OR you would need to cut it up so much, that it would be destroyed and worthless afterwards. Even if you were to squeeze that small boot over the Pro 5.0 tower, it would cause interference and definitely cause issues with being able to shift - it’s going to be too restrictive.

If you’re seeing the ground when you have the center console plate with leather shift boot removed, then your vehicle is missing the trans tunnel lower shift boot, or the entire shift boot+metal plate is missing, or the boot was not installed properly around the Pro 5.0 tower.

Here’s the metal plate with rubber boot:

Here’s just the rubber boot if the existing boot is damaged:

That rubber boot not only keeps road debris from ever getting above the trans tail shaft onto or into the shifter, but it also keeps heat and exhaust noise/odor out from the passenger cabin.

If the lower trans tunnel boot IS intact and WAS installed as seen in the vid, then what was seen as “debris” on top of the Pro 5.0 shifter tower or turret is most likely the leather boot breaking down and flaking over top of the turret…. I usually just vacuum it up and if the turret is lubed/greased as it should be, that minute debris won’t get into the shifter internally and won’t affect the shifter functionally at all. My Pro 5.0 has been installed for the 17-18 years now and still shifts as it did when new.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good video, @Cobra Jet! Now I'm thinking that the metal plate with rubber boot is actually missing on Tom's setup. Can you verify this, Tom?

Mark99GT

Established Member
I ordered the Cobra Valley cover for the $50. Got it today. I'm not overly impressed with what I'm seeing for $50. I'll get it installed this week and see how it goes. Reasons I went with it is it's in stock, they claim it's for the Pro 5.0, obviously to keep the dirt out, and also for a tight fit to help reduce transmission noise in the cabin. I have the same lower boot cut like the video Cobra Jet posted, and it works ok for the dirt though I do see that some has accumulated and doesn't do much to keep the transmission noise down. The Cobra Valley boot has what looks like a Hurst "H" on it and it looks much like the Hurst 1145001 Billet Plus Dust Boot.

I forgot about Core shifters which is where I got my shift handle from, and I'm very happy with the quality of it. They have this (below) for about $14 bucks:

It's currently out of stock, but this looks like the Cobra Valley/Hurst one at a very reasonable price. Maybe it will be back in stock soon.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Good video, @Cobra Jet! Now I'm thinking that the metal plate with rubber boot is actually missing on Tom's setup. Can you verify this, Tom?
To answer you question, mine did have the OEM rubber boot but it wasn't trimmed. It was just on top of the turret so the cabin was sealed from debris from underneath but the top of the shifter turret was exposed to the elements.

I ordered the Cobra Valley shift boot today since it was in stock. I'm hoping it fits but concerned after reading Mark's report above.

Tom

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, hopefully the Cobra Valley boot will satisfactorily work for you. I have a feeling it will. You'll let us know, for sure.

Mark99GT

Established Member
To answer you question, mine did have the OEM rubber boot but it wasn't trimmed. It was just on top of the turret so the cabin was sealed from debris from underneath but the top of the shifter turret was exposed to the elements.

I ordered the Cobra Valley shift boot today since it was in stock. I'm hoping it fits but concerned after reading Mark's report above.

I installed it today. I feel more resistance between test shifts due to all of the rubber, like the centering springs are a little stronger. I think I might actually like that (I'm using an 8" Hurst 5380015 style handle); it's more of a positive shift feel to me. However, I only tested the shift feel in the garage, it's crappy out and I didn't have time to actually drive it, so maybe tomorrow. Install was easy, it slips right over and has a good fit on the base of the shifter. I considered putting a zip tie around it to get it really tight on the tower, but felt it wasn't really necessary and if I had to remove the boot getting at the zip tie would be a PITA. There's plenty of room for the shift stop bolts too.

A few pics:
Before
pic 1 before.png

Installed
pic 2 installed.png

Final, you can see there's a lot of rubber. Should help keep the noise down.
pic 3 final.png

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Good luck with that boot, as you found out it will create resistance.

The Pro 5.0 never had such a boot on it and as you can feel, putting one on creates resistance with the shifter itself. You will find that actually shifting while driving may not be satisfactory.

Also what is that large harness coming up through the trans tunnel and boot?

Mark99GT

Established Member
Good luck with that boot, as you found out it will create resistance.

The Pro 5.0 never had such a boot on it and as you can feel, putting one on creates resistance with the shifter itself. You will find that actually shifting while driving may not be satisfactory.

Also what is that large harness coming up through the trans tunnel and boot?
Yeah definitely needs a test drive to see how it really feels. The wiring is for a speedo calibration box due to gear change.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I installed it today. I feel more resistance between test shifts due to all of the rubber, like the centering springs are a little stronger......

Final, you can see there's a lot of rubber. Should help keep the noise down.
View attachment 1739934
The boot will help to a small degree with blocking transmission generated noise. You'd be surprised how much noise is actually transmitted through the metal shifter into the cabin.

Cobra Jet

Established Member
Yeah definitely needs a test drive to see how it really feels. The wiring is for a speedo calibration box due to gear change.

Speedo calibration tool - on a 95? I too did a rear gear change on my 94 Cobra years ago and don’t run any speed cal tool.

You don't specify if you have a manual or auto transmission... However, the info below should help anyone wanting to swap rear gears on a 94/95 5.0.

In my 1994 Cobra I'm running 3.73's and my speedo is dead on accurate w/ the below gear combo. Also, the 4.10 gear combo below will get you dead accurate as well, as I have used both sets in 5.0 Mustangs w/ a T5 (86-93's and 94-95's). The below part #'s have been accurate for a few years now, as I don't think they have been superceded by new Ford part #'s (so please do your current research). You should be able to order these from your local Ford Dealer - or try looking online for Downs Ford, Tousely Ford OR Silver State Ford, those 3 Dealers are known to have good prices and a large inventory of parts (I've personally used Downs & Silver State numerous times in the past).

~~

For an application with a T5 manual trans + 3.73's, the gearing colors/parts will be:

1) TRANSMISSION DRIVE GEAR - 7 tooth YELLOW - Ford Part #: E3ZZ-17285-A

2) SPEEDO GEAR - 21 tooth RED - Ford Part #: C4OZ-17271-A

Now - before you go to change any speedo or drive gears, do this:

Jack up the car, safely support it with triangular jack stands and you will want to remove your VSS sensor from the driver's side of the transmission. Once you have remove the VSS, get a flashlight and shine it into the hole where the VSS came out of - see if you can see the COLOR of the transmission DRIVE gear.

The reason being is this:

The 7 tooth YELLOW drive gear is the most common drive gear found in 1983-1989 production V8 T5 equipped Mustangs. Late 1989-1995 T5's had an 8 tooth white drive gear!

Why Ford changed it, I don't have the slightest clue.

A) IF by chance, your transmission is already equipped with a YELLOW drive gear, all you need to replace is your SPEEDO gear (using the Ford part # listed above) and you do NOT have to pull the trans out of the car!

B) IF when peering in through the VSS hole in the trans you do NOT see a YELLOW gear, then you must change both your tranny's DRIVE gear and the SPEEDO gear in order to get the proper speedometer reading for 3.73's, 4.10's, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IF you are wanting to do 4.10's w/ a T5 manual tranny:
BLACK 6 tooth TRANSMISSION DRIVE gear for T5:
Ford Part #: E3ZZ-17285-B

BLACK 20 tooth SPEEDO gear for T5:
Ford Part #: C1DZ-17271-A

~~

NOTE 1:
I've posted the above info several times on Corral.net - it can be found by searching there as well. This info can also be confirmed via Ford Racing and "The Official Ford Mustang 5.0: Technical Reference & Performance Handbook ... By Al Kirschenbaum"

NOTE 2:
Sometimes folks will say the gear inside the T5 trans appears to be "poo green" - false. The gear IS in fact going to be YELLOW or WHITE. However, due to the age of the transmission fluid + combined interal dirt over time and the fact that the composition of the gear is nylon/plastic (which is slightly porous), over time the actual molded color of the gear appears to be "greenish". So, be sure you really check out the color with a flashlight, or by opening up the transmission.

NOTE 3:
The ONLY transmission YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE INTERNAL DRIVE GEAR ON would be AUTOMATIC transmissions - if you have an auto transmission, THEN you would need to use an aftermarket speed calibration box after a rear gear install.

Users who are viewing this thread