PRO-5.0: WTF IS Up With 3rd?

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
In today...

2nd to 3rd. 4th+ to 3rd. No problems granny-shifting as I can simply push it into place. But speed and powershifting...3rd is a byatch. Any practical resolutions? Must I live with it?

Tri-Ax has a sping-loaded 2nd-3rd...Feels real smooth...

SVTPerformance concensus was PRO-5.0...I am wondering why...

Last edited:

randy

Established Member
I have the same problem, but i am pretty sure it has more to do with the clutch engaging 3 inches off the floor than anything else..i am planning on buying a firewall adjuster to help fix this...I have heard from others that this is the remedy for the dreaded 2nd to 3rd powershift woes....

03DOHC

Established Member
Must be something wrong with it. It's supposed to be spring loaded so you don't miss 3rd, just like the Tri-Ax. I NEVER, EVER missed 3rd with my Pro 5.0 shifter in my '97. I dunno.

Last edited:

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by ox03
In today...

2nd to 3rd. 4th+ to 3rd. No problems granny-shifting as I can simply push it into place. But speed and powershifting...3rd is a byatch. Any practical resolutions? Must I live with it?

Tri-Ax has a sping-loaded 2nd-3rd...Feels real smooth...

SVTPerformance concensus was PRO-5.0...I am wondering why...

I have had Pro 5.0's in other cars and what I discovered was that if you just push the shifter forward it goes into 3rd very easily. Whenever I tried to "guide" it into 3rd, i would miss the shift. I usually just slammed the shift handle with the heel of my hand and it went into 3rd everytime. I must be one of the strange ones around here though, cuz I like my stock shifter. The handle might be a tad tall for my taste, but the shift action is better than a T-45 w/a pro 5.0. I might just throw adifferent handle on it. Just my 2 centz.

gary

jtfx6552

Established Member
I had problems with the 2-3, added the pro 5.0 and redline synth ATF, better, but still missed alot, aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, problem solved.

FlashSVT

Established Member
Pro 5.0 here and flawless shifting.

1st - 2nd : pistol grip towards me
2nd - 3rd : ball/palm of my hand towards the radio
3rd - 4th : reversed pistol grip (thumb down) towards the center console

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> if you just push the shifter forward it goes into 3rd very easily.

Perhaps it needs to be broken in a bit...

> I like my stock shifter.

I did too. Don't really feel the difference between MGW + Stock vs. MGW + PRO-5.0. At least not yet.

Just returned from a drive around town. Issue with 3rd seemed to be remedied by a good snap of the wrist & flick. Have to do it e-v-e-r-y time now...Even in traffic.

> aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster, problem solved.

If perceived problems with shifting continue. That, or a Tri-Ax.

93-03cobras

Established Member
Just wanted to give a little imput as I didn't really like the Pro-5.0 at first also. The cure was a shifter handle from a Triax. Found a buddy with a fox body stang (the pro 5.0 seems to work alot better in the fox) to trade me the triax handle for the pro-5.0 and now both the wife and I love it. We are both able to more comfortably reach the shifter without our nees being in the dash.:)

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Going out for a 45-minute drive. San Marino Drive, north of Huntington Boulevard, San Marino, CA. Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, CA. Anyone run the Alameda Corridor (Alameda Street) in Los Angeles, CA?

I hear the streets that circle El Toro Marine Base, ElToro, CA run 3-4 miles straight...

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Drive cut short. I got it. I became comfortable with the PRO-5.0 down. There is no trick. Just practice. Quick sure shifts the way it should be. So far...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread