Pro Touring 1979 Pace Car build

69clark

Established Member
Well I finally ordered the tires. I decided to go back to the BFGoodrich KDWs. I am having them shipped directly to Budnik so that they can handle the mounting and balancing.

This is a stock photo of the tread pattern for reference.
bfg-kdwNT.jpg

95riosnake

Established Member
Lookin good! I have to say I've always liked your SINIS logo :thumbsup:

Good choice, not sure if you knew, but they can powder coat over JB weld in small amounts, I used some to fill a couple pin holes in a power pipe I welded before powder :thumbsup:

69clark

Established Member
Lookin good! I have to say I've always liked your SINIS logo :thumbsup:

Good choice, not sure if you knew, but they can powder coat over JB weld in small amounts, I used some to fill a couple pin holes in a power pipe I welded before powder :thumbsup:

Yeah, says it is good to 600 degrees so I figured it would be fine, but to tell you the truth I wasn't 100% sure.

69clark

Established Member
Small update:

So some brown boxes showed up. I got my MM K-member brace and got it installed tonight. All of my previous MM parts have been poweder coated a satin black, this peice is a textured satin black. Much nicer then the plain black on the parts I used on my cobra. I wonder if they are doing this coating on all their parts now.

I got some new seam sealer because the stuff I had before I didn't care for. This stuff goes on great and easy to use. I got one of the tubs seam sealed tonight before I called it quits.

Got my new sway bar bushings. The previous ones on the car were a little long so I went with an 1" shorter ones. Got these from MM too.

And finally I got front stainless braided brake lines for the Alcon calipers. Nice peices for sure.

parts_79pacecar001.jpg

Pic of brake lines. I also got the other caliper finished up. Tried to get better pics because in person the color looks great, but with the low light and the flash I couldn't really get great pics of them. This will have to do for now.
parts_79pacecar004.jpg

This will be the last update for a week and a half as my wife and I leave for vacation on Friday. Once I get back I will continue to thrash on the car.

69clark

Established Member
Just got word that Budnik expects to have my wheels done late next week. I just had to share the news.

I am not going to get too excited, cause I know things happen. Plus that are handling the mounting of balancing of the wheels, and then there is shipping. So If all goes well they should be in my possesion by the 6 week mark, just as they promised.

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Just got word that Budnik expects to have my wheels done late next week. I just had to share the news.

I am not going to get too excited, cause I know things happen. Plus that are handling the mounting of balancing of the wheels, and then there is shipping. So If all goes well they should be in my possesion by the 6 week mark, just as they promised.

YESSSSSS just in time for NMRA at Atco on the 14th?? :D I assume you're going this year?

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Forgive my laziness, but what is the caliper setup?

Edit: just saw the last page...

Awesome project

Last edited:

69clark

Established Member
I haven't made an update yet, but I have been working like a mad man lately.

So here we go. I got word that the rearend should finally be done it a week or so and then I can go pick it up. When the car is at ride height the rear end actually touches the framerail and the cross member just slightly touches the crossmember. So I did few things to make clearance.

First I modified the tunnel so that the drive shaft doesn't hit (sorry no pics). I modified the crossmember with a notch out of it to provide clearance to the pumpkin when it is fully lowered.
protouring_1979pacecar024.jpg

Next I fabricated own mini C-notches for each side with adjustable bumpstops so that the axle can tuck up in when lowered.
protouring_1979pacecar013.jpg

Rummber bumpstops with a nut welded to the other side to allow me to adjust their height.
protouring_1979pacecar014.jpg

Welded in.
protouring_1979pacecar017.jpg

Then I prepped and painted everything with expoxy rollbar paint. It isn't as glossy as it shows in the pictures as that is just the flash.
protouring_1979pacecar048.jpg

I used the same paint inside the wheel tubs too and then used Eastwood undercoating as well.
protouring_1979pacecar054.jpg

protouring_1979pacecar058.jpg

You can see the mini C-notches here.
protouring_1979pacecar036.jpg

Next I finished the fabrication for the fuel cell mount and installed it.
console_1979pacecar020.jpg

console_1979pacecar022.jpg

Since this was a top fill fuel cell, I modified to use the stock fill tube from the side.
console_1979pacecar024.jpg

I also got the front suspension torqued down and alignment set (execpt the toe). Bolted up the brakes and plumbed up the stainless front lines. I also prepped, painted and undercoated the inner front fender wells (sorry no close up pics)
protouring_1979pacecar030.jpg

Now, i haven't talked too much about it but I said I was going to do a custom console. Heres what we have so far.
console.jpg

I also stated before that I will be putting an Ipad in the console. When it was time to buy the Ipad they came out with the Ipad2 so that is what is going in it (being I had to buy one anyway, why not but the newer/better one). It is just sitting in place here for mockup along with the air ride controller. I will be flush mounting both the Ipad 2 and the air ride controller, so bare with me, it will look much better once I get into that. The bad news is that I spoke with my upholstery guy and he said that you won't have time to upholster it before Carlisle so I will have to come up with something tempory for carlisle or I will try upholsterying it myself. We'll see.
console_1979pacecar004.jpg

console_1979pacecar011.jpg

console_1979pacecar014.jpg

console_1979pacecar016.jpg

Now the Ipad2 is wired into the stereo system so I will have all my tunes through the Ipad as well as navigation. Plus while I am as shows or events it will be removeable so my wife or I can use the internet or watch movies while we are just chilling out.

I will be continueing on the interior mods and also putting in a new booster (93 cobra), master cylinder (1 1/16") and proportioning valve from Wilwood and plumbing up the rest of the brakes once the rearend is here.

I think that is it for now.

Users who are viewing this thread