Problem passing e-check

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you recently cleared the codes? The car needs to go through a tedious process to reset all the sensors. During an emissions test, your car is allowed to have 1 sensor "not ready" ( at least in MA anyway).

BOOCOCKY

Established Member
If you disconnected the battery recently that will do it too. The fix is to drive it around 50 miles or so, at least with mine.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If you disconnected the battery recently that will do it too. The fix is to drive it around 50 miles or so, at least with mine.

It's a lot more complex than driving 50 miles, unless you go through all the steps within those 50 miles of course.

Here's a link that describes in detail how to clear each sensor/monitor.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Is there a specific tool to clear codes?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Well, any OBD II scanner tool should do it. Some are as cheap as $20 on eBay. As mentioned above, you can also disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it.
I asked if you cleared the codes recently because the notice you received usually comes after someone has reset their OBD.

This is the tool I have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131157523057

Well worth the $30. It has live data reading, so I can drive around town and I can see when all the sensors are ready for testing, if I have to clear a Check Engine Light before getting an inspection sticker. (You are allowed to have one sensor "not ready/incomplete" when you have emissions testing)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread