Problem shifting first to second high rpm

iflybyu

Established Member
My friend just bought a 2013 gt500 8k miles stock. When he tries to shift from first to second at high rmp around 6800 7000 it grinds and won't go into second. All other shifts are fine it's just first to second any suggestions?

got_h8rs?

Established Member
My friend just bought a 2013 gt500 8k miles stock. When he tries to shift from first to second at high rmp around 6800 7000 it grinds and won't go into second. All other shifts are fine it's just first to second any suggestions?

I would get a new aftermarket shifter or replace the rubber factory bushings with aluminum ones. Just my .02

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member

hostile500

Established Member
Spend the money and buy the MGW shifter. It happens to most of them. One major down fall of the car. MGW will fix it. Mine would actually lock me out of 3rd also at high RPMs.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I have the mgw gen 2. tried different clutches, hard clutch lines, isolating clutch fluid, it still does it on occasion. not as bad as stock, but it's NOT gone.

I CANNOT slap second gear for the life of me on this car and shift aggressive. any other gear. no issue.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I have the mgw gen 2. tried different clutches, hard clutch lines, isolating clutch fluid, it still does it on occasion. not as bad as stock, but it's NOT gone.

I CANNOT slap second gear for the life of me on this car and shift aggressive. any other gear. no issue.

That's what I thought I remembered hearing: It's not a guaranteed fix for people.

Matt in Houston

I like SVT & I cannot lie
Established Member
Try Mobil 1 ATF first if you want. Worked for me...That and not shifting straight back...more back and toward your hip. Haven't had 2nd gear grind in over 3000 miles since I made those adjustments. Good luck!

grobertx

Established Member

This is my fear... 1st off I should not have to spend $500 for a shifter and another 2-3 hours of labor to consistently shift from 1st to 2nd. So ironic I read this post today as today was the last straw for me. Had some Lexus sport coupe next to me and all I had to do was get into second to blow his doors off... did not happen. I was pissed! I'm not saying I'm Jeff Gordon but I am 50 years old and have driven performance cars with standard transmissions since I was 16...

Has ANYONE successfully went from (50-80% occurrence rate)high RPM 1-2 lockout to fixed minus the rare mistake by a dealer repair or after market solution? Honestly I think I would sh&t a brick if I go to the trouble of replacing a shifter, oil, line Etc. and still end up with this issue. Quite frankly this is bullsh%t! I wanted this car all my life. Finally at a point where I can walk in and buy it on the spot and I end up with this... Looking for real solutions. I even thought about calling SVT to see what they say.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
This is my fear... 1st off I should not have to spend $500 for a shifter and another 2-3 hours of labor to consistently shift from 1st to 2nd. So ironic I read this post today as today was the last straw for me. Had some Lexus sport coupe next to me and all I had to do was get into second to blow his doors off... did not happen. I was pissed! I'm not saying I'm Jeff Gordon but I am 50 years old and have driven performance cars with standard transmissions since I was 16...

Has ANYONE successfully went from (50-80% occurrence rate)high RPM 1-2 lockout to fixed minus the rare mistake by a dealer repair or after market solution? Honestly I think I would sh&t a brick if I go to the trouble of replacing a shifter, oil, line Etc. and still end up with this issue. Quite frankly this is bullsh%t! I wanted this car all my life. Finally at a point where I can walk in and buy it on the spot and I end up with this... Looking for real solutions. I even thought about calling SVT to see what they say.
I could not agree with you more! I HATED spending money on stainless steel lines and a quality shifter, both of which SHOULD have come with the car from the factory.

Even having done both, I probably shouldn't claim 100% success. Like VFORCEJOHN, I can slam any gear except second EVERY time. Before the shifter and SS line upgrades, my success with second was ~50%. After the upgrades, I'd rate it ~90%, with lockout being more likely at increased RPM and shift "speed".

Before installing the upgrades, I was nervous about missing second during any kind of "spirited" driving. Installing them allowed me to enjoy the car and even have some fun at the drag strip. Should we have to pay "extra" for that? No way! Would I do them again? Definitely!

carguy19

Established Member

If you watch the video in the link you will see mechanically why the car needs an aftermarket shifter and whats happening when you try to get the car into 2nd gear.

The synthetic transmission oil will help a little, but a shifter is an important mod in these cars. I haven't done mine yet but my car grinds 2nd about 50% of the time when I am over 5500 RPM.

grobertx

Established Member
Thanks fellas, I guess I'll do it (MGW 2) but it still chaps my as$...

I get the shifter issue looking at its design with mounting to the car not directly to the transmission. Hard flexing leaves it miss-aligned. However there is more to it than that or the beast MGW 2 would eliminate the problem all together.

Now I get alot of you guys don't have this issue so you think its the driver or we are exaggerating the issue however, for those of you that FREQUENTLY get locked out (not just grind) at 2nd this is a MAJOR issue. SVT should be able to identify the cause / solution and fix it for those of us that ran out and spent $70K based solely on the highly touted HIGH performance of this beast... still a Shelby / Ford fan though...

99SSls1

Established Member
Mine has grinded from day one, new clutch, line and oil. Still grinds but I just know to slow shift second on it until I get the shifter.

Was going to get one at mustang week but the guys at mgw weren't into customer service that day so I walked.

carguy19

Established Member
Thanks fellas, I guess I'll do it (MGW 2) but it still chaps my as$...

I get the shifter issue looking at its design with mounting to the car not directly to the transmission. Hard flexing leaves it miss-aligned. However there is more to it than that or the beast MGW 2 would eliminate the problem all together.

Now I get alot of you guys don't have this issue so you think its the driver or we are exaggerating the issue however, for those of you that FREQUENTLY get locked out (not just grind) at 2nd this is a MAJOR issue. SVT should be able to identify the cause / solution and fix it for those of us that ran out and spent $70K based solely on the highly touted HIGH performance of this beast... still a Shelby / Ford fan though...

I am with you 100% that ford should have gotten it right. Especially since its been an issue since 2007. They still can't get it right.

Even with the shifter and the synthetic oil it's still possible to miss a gear or grind, but its way less likely.

iflybyu

Established Member
Thanks everybody. He called jms and they told him the same thing they also told him not to hold the side of the shifter to try to hold the front so he pulls up on it not down and it should help but that he needs a new shifter.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I'm probably the odd man out here, but I've had good success with just swapping out the front bushings to the billet and rear bushing to KR. $99 upgrade that has worked for me. Took maybe a hour or so for instal on two post lift. And I'd have to say it was a 100% success rate for me as well with high rpm shifting and no lock out. I shift normally, no special pull toward my hip, just shift and go. I'm always aware when shifting to possibly expect the lockout, but so far, it's never happened. Been in since last September, so going on a year with no problems.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Mine has grinded from day one, new clutch, line and oil. Still grinds but I just know to slow shift second on it until I get the shifter.

Was going to get one at mustang week but the guys at mgw weren't into customer service that day so I walked.

I know George put a lot of effort into his booth setup and that he was pretty busy. Can you elaborate as to why you said "the guys at mgw weren't into customer service that day so I walked?" I ask because I honestly can't think of anyone that goes more out of their way to satisfy his customers, from design considerations, installations, or any post-sale issues.

I'm probably the odd man out here, but I've had good success with just swapping out the front bushings to the billet and rear bushing to KR. $99 upgrade that has worked for me. Took maybe a hour or so for instal on two post lift. And I'd have to say it was a 100% success rate for me as well with high rpm shifting and no lock out. I shift normally, no special pull toward my hip, just shift and go. I'm always aware when shifting to possibly expect the lockout, but so far, it's never happened. Been in since last September, so going on a year with no problems.

The solid front bushings and the high durometer KR rear bushing definitely take the factory shifter architecture about as far as it can go. Key in your statement was your mention that you are always aware when shifting. There is definitely a rhythm from a kinesiology standpoint, and how well your own body movements jibe with the mechanical requirements necessary to engage a given gear in the transmission. And it sounds like you are in "tune" with your car and don't force it to do something it doesn't want to do. This goes a long way towards ensuring healthy syncro life and ultimately, driver satisfaction.

MGW gen II shifter, your friend is running into a common failing.

Tob has done a great write up after he visited with MGW. Here is SVTP's preview -

SVTP Preview - MGW Gen. 2 SVT Shelby GT500 Mustang Shifter

Tob's thread -

MGW Gen2 - A Closer Look

Thanks for linking both of those threads. I'm a firm believer in the single axis method over that of the factory "pendulum" design when it comes to shift accuracy and efficiency.

Petro

Established Member
I had the second gear grind/lockout happen to me quite a few times when stock. I used to pull the stick back and in towards me. I switched to a Barton shifter, stainless steel line, and RP fluid. I have been pulling the stick straight back and haven't had a lockout or grind yet with about 500 miles on this new setup.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
The Barton was also another choice of mine. simply because the stick is angled, and also higher up, However I don't care for the looks... Also, they still have the wiggle that the gen 2 MGW takes care of.

Grabber13

I bought my 13 new in 2012. From day one I had this issue. I take my cars to the strip 4-5 times a year, and after my first trip with the 13 I went back to the dealer about the problem. The technician couldn't duplicate it and asked me to take him for a ride. Again, it happened every time and turned out he wasn't shifting fast enough to cause it (I could avoid the lockout by shifting slower, or shifting at no more than 6k). Ford's directive was to replace the clutch, which they did and didn't change anything. Since then I've put in a spec clutch, stainless line, mobil 1 atf and both generations of mgw shifter (had them in several cars, absolutely the best in my opinion). Nothing has solved it. I have resigned myself to the fact that it appears to be inherent to the remote mount shifter setup and the only real fix is a different transmission like the magnum series. Whenever I race the car now, I shortshift 2nd, which is frustrating because it's leaving lots of power unused, but it is what it is....

Users who are viewing this thread