Problem with my brand new Diamond Racing Wheels

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
I got these wheels along with ET Streets in the beginning of July. Yesterday I finally got around to getting them mounted and balanced. I took them to Suburban Tire in Hanover Park. Big problem though... they said there is a problem with the wheels; that they are not round. There is a wobble. The technician said the machine was calling for 10oz of weight on one wheel and 8oz on the other. I asked what would be a normal amount of weight and he told me 1oz.

Before I call Diamond Racing Wheels, I just wanted to get 2nd opinions. I also know there are others on here running these wheels. Did you guys have issues getting the balanced? Also, is the tech correct in saying 10oz is way to much?

Black Flagged

10oz of weight is a lot. Now, depending upon the tire you are running, there is a strong possibility it is the tire. You all the time hear techs at even the most reputable tire stores, claiming the wheels are not round, when in fact the tire is bad. In fact, it is more likely to get a bad tire than it would be a bad wheel. because you did not purchase the wheels from the tire store, by default they blame any issue on the wheels. The acceptable runout for a wheel could be as great as 0.020", and with a drag radial, that could cause the wheel to show some wobble on the balancing machine. Drag radials can also require a lot of weight and be difficult to road force. Mickey Thompson and M&H can sometimes require a lot of weight also. You might want to have someone check the tire on a road force machine and see if it has a hard spot, and try to match the low spot on the wheel to the high spot on the tire. That will likely correct the problem.

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
10oz of weight is a lot. Now, depending upon the tire you are running, there is a strong possibility it is the tire. You all the time hear techs at even the most reputable tire stores, claiming the wheels are not round, when in fact the tire is bad. In fact, it is more likely to get a bad tire than it would be a bad wheel. because you did not purchase the wheels from the tire store, by default they blame any issue on the wheels. The acceptable runout for a wheel could be as great as 0.020", and with a drag radial, that could cause the wheel to show some wobble on the balancing machine. Drag radials can also require a lot of weight and be difficult to road force. Mickey Thompson and M&H can sometimes require a lot of weight also. You might want to have someone check the tire on a road force machine and see if it has a hard spot, and try to match the low spot on the wheel to the high spot on the tire. That will likely correct the problem.

I didnt buy the tire or wheels from Suburban Tire. The tires are not drag radials. They are Mickey Thompon E/T Streets, 26x11.5x16.

What is a road force machine?

MVD

Established Member
10oz is not a lot for a drag tire, they are not made as precise as an OEM tire would be. Very common for a set of 28" ET Drags to have two or three strips of 8oz weights.

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
10oz is not a lot for a drag tire, they are not made as precise as an OEM tire would be. Very common for a set of 28" ET Drags to have two or three strips of 8oz weights.

And they are suppose to use the same type of weights that are stuck onto OEM tires? Just a lot more of them?

Tractionless1

Established Member
I have MH bias ply cheaters with tubes on Diamond Racing's and it took a hefy amount of weight. Tell the tire "technician" to do his job and tape your weights down.

MVD

Established Member
And they are suppose to use the same type of weights that are stuck onto OEM tires? Just a lot more of them?

If it were me I would have them use tape on weights so they don't mar the face of the wheel, but they are your wheels, do as you wish.

Did you ever find out if it was due to the wheel or tire or combination of both?

Does it really matter? Just get them balanced and be done with it.

wizdawg

aka... Brian
Established Member
If it were me I would have them use tape on weights so they don't mar the face of the wheel, but they are your wheels, do as you wish.

Does it really matter? Just get them balanced and be done with it.

By tape on you mean the self adhesive sticky weights? If so, that is what I planned on doing. I was just curious if they made different ones that were maybe thicker. Because if not, its going to be a big patch or weights on the wheel. Probably like 1+" wide by 4-5" long

Users who are viewing this thread