Problems after using jump box

shadys281

Established Member
Used a jump box to start my 04 today and afterwards the tach doesn’t work, Speedo doesn’t work, check engine light is on, and traction control doesn’t work... tried disconnecting the battery and didn’t see any blown fuses under the dash but it’s dark out and hard to see... any ideas??

hotcobra03

Established Member
Battery is fine... Car has something draining it down... I charged it yesterday evening...

this is an issue on these cars
mine can't sit longer than a week before battery is dead

side note

interior light on mine has stuck on at times wd40 door latch has worked to stop it

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you by chance hook up jump box backwards? Could of blown fuses if so. If not. Are you sure battery is good? How old is it? Could seem fine until you load test it.

Also I’ve noticed when I turn ignition off in my car the radio stays powered up sometimes. Doesnt happen a lot but I do pay attention since I noticed it. Cycling key again powers it off. It’s an aftermarket kenwood unit. Just something to look for in your case.

shadys281

Established Member
No the jump box wasn’t hooked up backwards... battery is a red top 2/20 so it’s 10 months old... never had any of these issues just using a charger but was in a hurry and used a lithium jump box... I disconnected the battery and charged it and still has the same problems.. also can’t find any blown fuses...

shadys281

Established Member
I know on my race cars that are 16v we won’t even crank the car if the charger is hooked up out of fear the charger will fry the ecu by trying to compensate for the voltage draw of the starter... no clue what kinda power this lithium jump box sends and have only used it on my 3/4 ton truck..

hotcobra03

Established Member
OK so car will start when starter gets full 12v
jumping a car will alway load the wires more than normal notice cables get hot

that tiny ground off negative does the car

mine cooked inside causing issues very similar before it had to be found
wiggle test may break it and expose burnt wires

I would suggest running a jumper ground from battery to frame with car running and see if inside car comes alive again
as a test

age factor
8 months ago you changed battery for a reason assume you jump started than a couple times

shadys281

Established Member
OK so car will start when starter gets full 12v
jumping a car will alway load the wires more than normal notice cables get hot

that tiny ground off negative does the car

mine cooked inside causing issues very similar before it had to be found
wiggle test may break it and expose burnt wires

I would suggest running a jumper ground from battery to frame with car running and see if inside car comes alive again
as a test

age factor
8 months ago you changed battery for a reason assume you jump started than a couple times
Battery was changed in June but was built 2/20... was changed due to the battery going bad from being old and going dead all the time... it also has some stupid ass SVT a pillar gauges that never worked right but they don’t even get power now... these gauges are supposed to read all kinds of stuff from the ecu but haven’t ever worked right since I got the car...

shadys281

Established Member
Had a adapter in the fuse block to power the a pillar gauges... it has 2 fuses in the adapter and both were good... I unplugged the adapter out of the fuse block and it fixed it... so I just left it unplugged and stuck a fuse in it...

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Good deal. That was gonna be my next guess ;-)

I was was gonna suggest you start chasing, or unplugging any aftermarket interior accessories. If your not using them or they don’t work. Just take them out.

Users who are viewing this thread