Problem's Closing My Hood.

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Does anyone have a problem with closing there hood on there 03 Cobra.When I close it all the way down, then push on it to lock it (It will not lock).So I have to lift it up about 12-14 inches and let it just slam shut.I never had to do this with my 95 GT.Is this normal with the 03 Cobra's or is there some way to adjust it.

Last edited:

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissss5
So I have to lift it up about 12-14 inches and let it just slam shut.

I had to do that with both my 2000 V6 and my 2003 Cobra. When I brought my V6 in, the guy at the dealership said thats how it worked. :shrug:

Last edited:

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Originally posted by TRDNiteLife
I had to do that with both my 2000 V6 and my 2003 Cobra. When I brought my V6 in, the guy at the dealership said thats how it worked. :shrug:

So if I want to get some Hood Shock's can I still close my hood.The hood shock's will not allow me to slam it shut.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
Originally posted by Hissss5
So if I want to get some Hood Shock's can I still close my hood.The hood shock's will not allow me to slam it shut.

Ummm, I'm not sure. Someone I know has them, but I don't know how that part works. If you want I could try and find out for you.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
You are better off letting your hood close on its own(8-10"s away). Because when you press down to lock it, you are going to eventually dent your hood.

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
You are better off letting your hood close on its own(8-10"s away). Because when you press down to lock it, you are going to eventually dent your hood.

That's all good.
But like I said I want to get some hood shock and with them on,it will not alow me to close on it's own (8-10"s away)

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
It appears that the 03 Cobra's have a reputation for needing to do the "12 inch and drop" technique to get the hood closed. Read several threads on this in the past. I have hood shock mod and they do not affect the closing of the hood in any way. (Real neat mod by the way!).

Also, not sure how the hood would react to being closed by pushing down by hand......It is supposedly made of some type of carbon fiber compound....not sure it it would dent or not.

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp
It appears that the 03 Cobra's have a reputation for needing to do the "12 inch and drop" technique to get the hood closed. Read several threads on this in the past. I have hood shock mod and they do not affect the closing of the hood in any way. (Real neat mod by the way!).

You have the hood shocks...
How do you close your hood.
I would think that with the hood shocks,you can't do the 12" and drop.:)

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by TRDNiteLife
It's a Ford guys, what did you expect? :)

Every Stang I had, it had to be slammed. One of my ex'es had a MustangII, and it wouldn't latch unless you slammed it like you were trying to break it.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The hood shocks don't change the way the hood closes. When the hood is opened about 2 1/2 feet, you can let go and it will raise the rest of the way by itself. And likewise, if you drop it from under 2 feet, it doesn't feel any different with the hood shocks as it did stock.

2k3mk1

Established Member
Originally posted by IronTerp

Also, not sure how the hood would react to being closed by pushing down by hand......It is supposedly made of some type of carbon fiber compound....not sure it it would dent or not.

Its fiberglass and it wont dent crack yes dent no. My MACH is the same you can press it down to latch it but the 8-10 in drop works best. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread