Problem's Closing My Hood.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I checked this with my SVT dealer awhile back. It is normal to have to let the hood drop from about 12". I've been doing it for over a year now. No problem. It was scary the first couple of times, though.

1992B4C

Established Member
It wont dent the hood but it will sure crack the paint. I noticed my paint was cracked about 2 inches from the center front after the dealer did its first oil change. Its at the dealer now getting fixed.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 1992B4C
It wont dent the hood but it will sure crack the paint. I noticed my paint was cracked about 2 inches from the center front after the dealer did its first oil change. Its at the dealer now getting fixed.
Are you saying that dropping the hood or pushing down on the hood will crack the paint? :??:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Pushing down on the hood will crack the paint for sure. To close it properly you need to drop it from a good 10-12inches up. DO NOT slam it down with your hand to try to close it. The body shop man @ my ford dealer told me he has seen alot of Fords come in with cracked paint up front from people not closing it properly

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Juiced46
Pushing down on the hood will crack the paint for sure. To close it properly you need to drop it from a good 10-12inches up. DO NOT slam it down with your hand to try to close it. The body shop man @ my ford dealer told me he has seen alot of Fords come in with cracked paint up front from people not closing it properly
Thanks for the confirmation. That was my understanding as well. ;-)

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Thanks for the confirmation. That was my understanding as well. ;-)

No problem. I actually have 3 very small, hardly noticeable cracks in my hood. They are all inline with each other right above the hood latch. I found it a few days after i picked up my car. You can only see it under the perfect light and perfect angle. My dealer offered to paint it under warrenty. I told them i will hold off on it. If it gets worse then i will have it painted. I was worried about them not matching the paint. Plus you cant even see it unless you really tried. If it gets worse they will fix it.

1992B4C

Established Member
Pushing the hood will crack for sure is what i meant to say. It was an extra bonus with my first oil change.:cuss:

Friendchicken

Listen folks, there are 2 stops that you can just screw in to let the hood fall deeper to reach the latch assembly. Takes 2 seconds and all you need is a 8" drop.

If you do drop the hood and it doesn't latch, NEVER try to force it with the palm of your hand- else you get cracked paint/hood.

davidmax

Established Member
Thank G-D youp not driving a Chevy Venture mini van.I got a great price but my Cobras more fun,is faster and outhandles the van,bet your suprised.I also bet sarcasm may not be neede.
I to do tthe 10" drop no problems thank you LORD,Dave Smilovic

eiblish

Established Member
:coolman: 12" drop is standard, according to 2 dealers locally. After you have done it a dozen times, it actually feels like it should be done this way.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've been using the following method for years, even on my 99 GT:

- Hold hood about 3 inches up.

- Put the palm of your hand right above the latch.

- *Gently* give it a little shove. Just enough to create momentum. Do NOT push hard on it.

The hood should close and lock, and without creating the additional stress of dropping it from 12 inches. Used this technique on my 99 GT for four years and never had any problems with paint cracking. Same for the Cobra so far.

03DSGSVT

Established Member
I have to do the same thing, but with the same process that Nyte Byte does.
I bring the hood down to about 6" or so above the latch, and then sort of push it down with my hand, to create momentum.

I don't like having to drop it over 12" to close it, so I have just done the close, and push method.

You don't follow the hood down to the latch with your hand, just give it a shove on the way down...

I've had 3 other Mustangs, and this is the first one with a hood that closes like this, all others you could just give a small drop, and they would be fine... :shrug:

JoeNashville

Ghostrider
Established Member
Never had a problem with holding the hood at 8" with one hand, then literally throwing it up again and letting it drop under its own weight. Sounds like a gunshot but you KNOW it's closed...the only metal hitting is the latch and it's reinforced. Rubber bushings everywhere else there's not a hood hinge. Ford tries to ID10T-proof this stuff for the most part...but pushing down on a flexible painted surface is something that they (really) don't expect you to do :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread