procharged 2011 gt idle issues

gimpy2011

Established Member
As the title says I have a 2011 gt with a stage 2 procharger that has some strange idling issues. The car will idle fine for 30 seconds to a minute or two but then its starts gradually idling more sporadic. The longer I let the car idle the more the rpm's fluctuate. It will also stall out sometimes once the idle gets to about a 2-300rpm fluctuation. If I turn on the a/c the car idles perfectly for as long as I let it go.

Im showing about 5.5psi at the intake and the car has been dyno tuned to 12.5 afr from idle to redline. Any ideas?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Does the wrench icon on your gauge cluster ever illuminate? I'd say for sure it's a tune issue, with the VVT it's not as easy to write a forced induction file that doesn't have some part or off throttle issues Unless the tuner knows what their doing of course!

Last edited:

gimpy2011

Established Member
Does the wrench icon on your gauge cluster ever illuminate? I'd say for sure it's a tune issue, with the VVT it's not as easy to write a forced induction file that doesn't have some part or off throttle issues Unless the tuner knows what their doing of course!

I have had no lights or codes show up since the install and I have checked for boost and vacuum leaks already. I also changed out the plugs to one step colder and gapped them to .32. It is a definite possibility that the tune is to blame but I wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked anything with the hardware first.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
One of the first 2011 GT's that got a Supercharger was done here at FordSpeed, a Vortech from scratch (mounting brackets were fabricated, all piping, hardware etc..) because they hadn't even developed a Kit yet and a Customer really wanted an Intercooled V-3 setup. Writing the tune was the most difficult part SCT was completely stumped back then and Rob had to figure it out for himself and part throttle was tricky it took him at least a week of road testing to get it just right..

svtcobra152.jpg

Also you'd probably get a lot more help if you posted this in the 2011 section, more guys will read it who have similar cars! Also 12.5 A/F is Way Too Lean, don't do WOT pulls over 5K! You need your tune looked at!

Last edited:

02blownGT

Established Member
12.5 is way too lean as stated above.Also it sounds like it could be a tuning problem.I would take it back to where it was tuned and have them check the dashpot setting,The dashpot serves the same function as the IAC in older mustangs.When you say 5.5psi do you mean vac at idle?

gimpy2011

Established Member
12.5 is way too lean as stated above.Also it sounds like it could be a tuning problem.I would take it back to where it was tuned and have them check the dashpot setting,The dashpot serves the same function as the IAC in older mustangs.When you say 5.5psi do you mean vac at idle?

- The vacuum gauge is showing 19-20 at idle
- boost is showing 5.5 psi at 5k

I think i'm going to take it to another shop local to here that deals with more 2011+ cars.

351inside

Established Member
One of the first 2011 GT's that got a Supercharger was done here at FordSpeed, a Vortech from scratch (mounting brackets were fabricated, all piping, hardware etc..) because they hadn't even developed a Kit yet and a Customer really wanted an Intercooled V-3 setup. Writing the tune was the most difficult part SCT was completely stumped back then and Rob had to figure it out for himself and part throttle was tricky it took him at least a week of road testing to get it just right..

svtcobra152.jpg

Also you'd probably get a lot more help if you posted this in the 2011 section, more guys will read it who have similar cars! Also 12.5 A/F is Way Too Lean, don't do WOT pulls over 5K! You need your tune looked at!

pics of the engine bay?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
svtcobra149.jpg

svtcobra155.jpg

It's kind of hard to see the setup cause the head unit is mounted much lower than the Kit directly from Vortech which I'm not impressed with, you have to hack up lots of stuff, the fit of various hoses wasn't too great, gotta shave the inside of the front clip etc.. Fordspeed did one last week on a 2011 GT Auto with Meth Injection!

Last edited:

gimpy2011

Established Member
@gimpy2011
Hey man ever figure it out? My 12 DI has a crap idle no one can figure out. Thanks

Finally got it sorted out with a few minor tweaks to the tune. Ended up having to shave off 4% fuel at idle which really cleaned it up a lot and then changed out the belt which fixed my belt slip issues. The car now has a Boss manifold and a 4" pulley making 10psi. I also had my final tune checked out by two other shops that have tuned blown coyotes and both gave everything a clean bill of health.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Glad you got it figured out man, I bet shes a beast to drive now. I cant wait to get my 98 back on the road.

Users who are viewing this thread