Procharged '99 F150 5.4L Supercab: Trying for 13s

whiterocket54

Douglas Engines
Established Member
Anyone have any advice to get me into the 13s? Procharged 10lbs, SCT ProRacer, 4.10 gears, JBA shorties, Magnaflow Lightning Catback w/ stock midpipes, TransGo Shift Kit, '01 lightning rims wrapped in 285/50R18 Nitto NT404...11.4A/F Innovate Wideband, Street Tune 16* on 91 octane, Lakewoods

Famoso Raceway of Backersfield, CA
60'... 2.277
1/8...9.234
MPH..78.65
1/4...14.273
MPH..97.94
*best time to date with crap 285/60R18 Kuhmo Ecsta
* also mixed 91 octane with 104 Sunoco Unleaded Race Fuel and had three separate tunes (16*, 19*, 21*)...no matter what timing I threw at it my track times were still roughly 2.2 60', 14.2 E/T, 97 mph.
Any help or advice would be helpful, thanks!

Waiting for the track to open for the spring to try out my new Nittos

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
You need traction mods, slicks and a DS loop for safety. What stall do you have? Stock? If so it's holding you back as well. a 26-2800 stall would prolly gain you .2 in the 1/4 alone with some traction. If you don't lower the 60' times you'll never get there. If you can cut a 1.7-1.8 60' I think you'll be there in some good air.

16* timing on 91 octane is too much, 12-13* would be the max if it were my truck for the street tune. You're on the right track with using higher octane and timing at the track however. Search for a thread I started called "Something I've been working on", there's a spark/octane chart in it that you can use if you like.

Last edited:

whiterocket54

Douglas Engines
Established Member
My truck dynoed 351RWHP/409RWTQ on the dynojet here in Fresno, CA with the 16* timing and 11.0A/F in 98 degree weather. I datalogged my truck before the blower and timing hit 21*. Sorry, but I dont have the dyno sheet to prove it. I talked to one of the guys at Precision Industries about a 2600 converter and towing...they said I wouldnt be able to tow more than a ton with the 10.5" stallion converter due to tranny heat issues. So that sucks! Would LFP bars do anything worthwhile over the lakewoods? Nitto DRs? Would I get any more power with bassani 2 cat midpipes? My truck weighed in at 5168 lbs at the local dump with me in it...track times seem slow compared to other f150 claims with prochargers or eaton conversions. I am shifting at 5200rpms, noticed that you are shifting at 5600 rpms on your timing chart I checked out, but you do have a built motor. Would you happen to know what stock lightning timing is? What about going to 11.8A/F?

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I'm not doubting your power at all. You'd be better off lowering timing to 14* max and leaning the a/f out to 11.6-11.8. As far as the converter goes the guy is right. Look in the how-to section for my thread about installing a super duty trans cooler as well as www.timskelton.com for more info about it, it really works well!

At your power level I think the slapper bars are fine, I don't mean that in a derrogatory way mind you. For a ext. cab the longbars would be the best for absolute power transfer and preventing axle wrap up. The DR's work well but IMO for all out you should look at a 26" tall slick or DOT style slick at least.

As always freeing up exhaust flow will definatly help you. IDK what the reg F150 mids look like but if you can get highflows then do so, that's the biggest restriction in the stock system.

You can easily increase your shift points to 5400, that's where I had mine on the stock mill for two years. With a properly done tune you can spin them much higher than most think. Max timing (borderline knock table) for mine is 11*, yours may be different due to processor code changes.

Got any pics of your truck?

whiterocket54

Douglas Engines
Established Member
Cool...sounds good, thanks for the advice!
I will try to get pics up as soon as I figure out how to post them on this site. I will definately take the timing down and shoot for a 11.6A/F. Do you know where to buy high flow bassani mids at the cheapest price? Your truck is badass by the way, love your brake system...too bad I have to deal with CA smog.:mj:

FireGuy

Clear As Mud
Established Member
Never mind, I re-read the post, not much more I can add.

Last edited:

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
I havent seen anyone ask this yet, and maybe im blind... but what gears are you running too? Dont those trucks come with 3.27's or 3.55's?

Also probably running a steel driveshaft, i'd look into an aluminum or carbon fiber one, to reduce some more of that rotating mass. Your setup sounds like its very capable of putting down some better numbers without tuning it to the bleeding (or exploding) edge.

Just from purely a math standpoint though your times and power sound right.. It just doesnt sound to me like all of its getting to the wheels the way it could be.

Im not a professional though like a lot of these guys are, so hopefully someone will chime in soon and tell me im wrong ;)

bmfgsxr

Established Member
yeah, gears is a good question.. and how about some pics of this beast?

Hele On

I'll make it fit
Established Member
He said he was running 4.10 gears... NOW POSTS SOME PICS! this thread is no good without gratuitous pics of the ride!

bmfgsxr

Established Member
lol, in the first sentence too. looks like i gotta get some hooked on phonics help. ;)

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
The only thing I can add, is your MPH is right on par with your E.T. So with your power level, that's all your going to get. The only way to break in the 13s, is all in the launch. You "should" be able to hit at leas a 2.0 60ft with your power, and not spin the tires off. If you spin, lay off a bit. You will go faster if you don't push it so hard off the line. So my guess, is with just the Nittos, and a good track, your in the 13.s. If you take Bobs advice, lean it out just a bit, back the timing down, thiers your power improvment that should get you into the 13.s well. Hope some of this helps. It's nice to see something runing quick when most expect it to be slow. (like my focus.. ha ha ha) Good luck though. And let us know.

whiterocket54

Douglas Engines
Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback! My truck did come with an aluminum drive shaft that I am still running. Glad some of you think my truck is cool so far...by the way: the other day I had just got out of my truck at the mall when a black lightning rolling 20s drove behind me, laughed out loud at my truck, and revved his motor at me...sort of hurt my feelings. j/k:nono:
Probably thought I was a poser because of my '01 lightning rims?
Pics are coming!

Last edited:

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Ha, dont let them put you down. But also dont go sticking a bunch of SVT badges all over it because then you are officially domestic-rice :)

I would never talk smack to someone who's clearly trying to build a nice ride and putting real effort into it like you are, but I will ALWAYS talk smack on someone who tries to make anything into something that it isnt.

Thats just me though.

By the way doesnt pitstain drive a black L? ;) He seems to get that type of attention around here as a person to start shit! haha

bmfgsxr

Established Member
haha, dont sweat that guy laughing at ya man.. he is the clown for acting like a tool. when all else fails you can either build the motor or get some N2O. or do like dano5150 did over at nloc and do a complete lightning transplant. put a motor, tranny and rearend into your truck. you can find that stuff at a junkyard or on one of the lightning boards.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
I agree, don't sweat it. You seemed like a cool guy from the onset so I consider you an honerary SVT owner. I'm shure you expect a little crap from time to time from L owners but don't let it bother you. Some on here may act the same and if so I apologize in advance. This is the best L site there is and I hope you hang around.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
You need traction mods, slicks and a DS loop for safety. What stall do you have? Stock? If so it's holding you back as well. a 26-2800 stall would prolly gain you .2 in the 1/4 alone with some traction. If you don't lower the 60' times you'll never get there. If you can cut a 1.7-1.8 60' I think you'll be there in some good air.

16* timing on 91 octane is too much, 12-13* would be the max if it were my truck for the street tune. You're on the right track with using higher octane and timing at the track however. Search for a thread I started called "Something I've been working on", there's a spark/octane chart in it that you can use if you like.

with him running a cyn. blower id bump the stall up to about 3000-3500 and 3500-4000 if he wants to go crazy.

but your right on with the timing on this since he's running higher compression then we are or atleast most of us are.

Users who are viewing this thread