procharger v. kb

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Cobra925 said:
Kb will make max tourqe at like 2,000 rpm. That .

Umm no

9psikb3.jpg

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
its all about preference.

The kb will hit hard, but then it doesn't ramp up nearly as hard. You can see from Double Os curve that the power increase very steadily, but it doesn't gain exponentially more power like a centrifugal does.

For instance, between 3000 and 4000rpm, I gain about 75rwhp, but between 5000 and 6000, I gain about 160rwhp.

Its a pretty noticeable difference.

The slobra actually impressed me the other night. Top of 4th gear gave me the roller coaster feeling, which was kind of crazy.

In nice cold weather, it really does take part of your breath away at real high rpms.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quadcammer said:
In nice cold weather, it really does take part of your breath away at real high rpms.

cold weather is one thing with a N/A but with a Blown car it's so much more dramatic....i drove mine once when it was about 30F outside and was like holy crap!

Quadcammer

Established Member
Guys, Id just like to make a suggestion to both of you.

To get a true sense of your a/f ratio, ask your tuner to turn smoothing off.

My tuner showed me what a DRAMATIC change it makes to the smoothness of the curve.

A jagged disaster turned into a damn near perfect curve on smoothing Five.

just looking out...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
What are talkin about quad?? I think i know what you are talkin about but i'm not sure

the graph i posted is a few years old and have since been tuned with Hermann

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Established Member
the dyno software allows you to smooth out the graph to eliminate spikes that come from hitting the rev limiter. I believe that the dyno samples several times per second, and by smoothing at the level 5, you average (i think) 5 data points to eliminate jagged points.

However, that affects the a/f curve too. I've seen an example where quick lean spikes would disappear under smoothing five, but be plain as day with smoothing turned off.

you can see the level of smoothing on the top right corner.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Double"O" said:
cold weather is one thing with a N/A but with a Blown car it's so much more dramatic....i drove mine once when it was about 30F outside and was like holy crap!
seriously, my car feels slow now compared to how it did around 40°!

99flblackcobra

slow cobra
Established Member
You need to ride in both kind of cars and see what you like better. I like my procharger better . I would get a F-1A if your motor is built. You could look into a whipple too.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quadcammer said:
the dyno software allows you to smooth out the graph to eliminate spikes that come from hitting the rev limiter. I believe that the dyno samples several times per second, and by smoothing at the level 5, you average (i think) 5 data points to eliminate jagged points.

However, that affects the a/f curve too. I've seen an example where quick lean spikes would disappear under smoothing five, but be plain as day with smoothing turned off.

you can see the level of smoothing on the top right corner.

yeah thats waht i thought you were talking about

Last edited:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
Well............

If I had an 03/04 I'd get the KB or Whipple hands down..

Seeing you don't have an 03/04 its hard to say.. I've driven my brothers 98 KB Cobra and these guys are right that it just responds better to a push of the gas peddle.. At low RPMs you can push the peddle and the car kinda suprises you by moving.. The instant TQ is nice..

HOWEVER, it didn't make as much power as my Procharger.. His made 413 compared to my 456.. My car quite a bit faster (before he blew his up and hes in the process of going to a TT).. But I know were not comparing the same motors or even the same KBs (different sizes for the 98 compared to the 99/01).. Although, as someone else mentioned its nice to stay out of boost untill you got WOT.. Then you feel the power and its like WHOA!

I've had a couple of good races.. My best race was with an 04 Cobra (Pullied, tuned, exhaust, CAI and DRs) that put down 465 WHP.. From a dig and a roll we were DEAD EVEN untill I hit 4th and then I pulled and shut down with his front bumper at my rear bumper..

Seeing I have a Procharger I would say ITS UP TO YOU!.. I say that because both will make you happy.. However, you really can't go wrong with a Procharger.. I'm 100% happy with mine.. I'd love to have the whine of a KB @ WOT to show off but I think I actually like having the smooth whistle at idol better.. I can't get a ticket or wreck as I pull up nice and slow and everyone knows I have a lil somethin, somethin under the hood..

Wish you luck what ever route you go though..

cobracide

Established Member
I was thinking KB, but if you keep the powerband where it is - Traction not a problem. Arg.. Leaning to Centri - more usable power.

01 Venom

Established Member
Youre right quad the smoothing is kind of dangerous, I trust my tuner though. He has a ton of experience with Eaton powered modulars.

2001SVTsnake

Established Member
Mt Twigbert said:
Well............

If I had an 03/04 I'd get the KB or Whipple hands down..

Seeing you don't have an 03/04 its hard to say.. I've driven my brothers 98 KB Cobra and these guys are right that it just responds better to a push of the gas peddle.. At low RPMs you can push the peddle and the car kinda suprises you by moving.. The instant TQ is nice..

HOWEVER, it didn't make as much power as my Procharger.. His made 413 compared to my 456.. My car quite a bit faster (before he blew his up and hes in the process of going to a TT).. But I know were not comparing the same motors or even the same KBs (different sizes for the 98 compared to the 99/01).. Although, as someone else mentioned its nice to stay out of boost untill you got WOT.. Then you feel the power and its like WHOA!

I've had a couple of good races.. My best race was with an 04 Cobra (Pullied, tuned, exhaust, CAI and DRs) that put down 465 WHP.. From a dig and a roll we were DEAD EVEN untill I hit 4th and then I pulled and shut down with his front bumper at my rear bumper..

Seeing I have a Procharger I would say ITS UP TO YOU!.. I say that because both will make you happy.. However, you really can't go wrong with a Procharger.. I'm 100% happy with mine.. I'd love to have the whine of a KB @ WOT to show off but I think I actually like having the smooth whistle at idol better.. I can't get a ticket or wreck as I pull up nice and slow and everyone knows I have a lil somethin, somethin under the hood..

Wish you luck what ever route you go though..

what gears are you running?

thats what im thinking down the road you cant upgrade a kb where as i can swap to a f1a

this decision will give me grey hairs:shrug:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
2001SVTsnake said:
what gears are you running?

thats what im thinking down the road you cant upgrade a kb where as i can swap to a f1a

this decision will give me grey hairs:shrug:

I'm running 4.10s

I'm gonna catch some heat for this video but I always do.. Videos never seem as fast as they are in real life.. Below is a video of my speedo as the car sits today.. The first launch is to the floor in 1st and threw the rest of the gears.. I am not shifting as though I was in a race because, well, I was holding a camera.. Even with 4.10s you can see I get good traction in 1st.. I'm not launching all that hard but you can see I do get traction.. I'm guessing KBs/Eatons don't get traction that well.. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.. This is the same set up that stood neck to neck and even beat a pullied, tuned, exhausted, CAI'd and DR'd 04 Cobra..

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/437e3a7a-3691-4a0f-af0d-984e00f27b5b.htm

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Mt Twigbert said:
I'm guessing KBs/Eatons don't get traction that well.. I could be wrong but I don't think I am

Don't let traction possibilities sway you one direction or the other.
My car hooks fine with the KB and a decent tire

It doesn't matter if you're stock, Sprayed, Blown and Turboed....you are gonna need the right suspension and tire to hook nomatter what your choice in Forced induction is

Users who are viewing this thread