Progress :-)

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
sn8k said:
Actually I did the chrome 'cause I am lazy - it's a lot easier to keep clean then polished - which tends to oxidize over time and needs to be touched up every year or so.
not unless u polish it and then powder coat it clear, mehbeh?

Last edited:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
SNAKIE said:
not unless u polish it and then powder coat it clear, mehbeh?
I don't really know if there is a clear powder coat... but a nice coat of clear polyurathane over the polish will keep it looking great for years without the maintenance of buffing out the oxidation every so often. Either way should work well - I was just worried that with the engine heat and dissimilar expansion qualities of metal vs the paint that over time there would be some lifting of the clear finish off the poished aluminum. I'm no expert on this - I just figured that sticking with chrome would be better over time - as you generally do get what you pay for ;-)

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
viperbluelx said:
Are they doing the LDC cooling mod with the motor in the car?
Yes - had to drop the tranny though. Just got off the phone with the shop and he said it was a royal bitch because of the cramped space... took about 5 hours from start to finsh (dropping the trans, installing the LDC, and then putting the tranny back). $200 for the LDC kit I thought was a little spendy for a piece of tube, 2 clamps, and a couple of fittings... then add the labor for the install - not really what I'd call a very cheap mod for what it is - but I do feel that since I am going to run stcok internals, it is worth the added piece of mind.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
sn8k said:
Yes - had to drop the tranny though. Just got off the phone with the shop and he said it was a royal bitch because of the cramped space... took about 5 hours from start to finsh (dropping the trans, installing the LDC, and then putting the tranny back). $200 for the LDC kit I thought was a little spendy for a piece of tube, 2 clamps, and a couple of fittings... then add the labor for the install - not really what I'd call a very cheap mod for what it is - but I do feel that since I am going to run stcok internals, it is worth the added piece of mind.

Yeah, I hear that's easiest to do w/ the engine out of the car.

Your car looks sweet man, that Accufab is the shiznit! I'm kinda gettin' to the point I don't even care if there's a power gain, it might be worth just for the looks! :thumbsup:

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Thanks bro - I'm really getting antsy on the bitch getting done. We've had a lot of delays due to vendor isuues (and one little oppsie where the dude at the shop chromed the wrong pipes for the blower). But I finally got the Canton overflow tank the other day, so we sent that and the rest of the blower pipes off - the chromer said he's have 'em done in one week... so with any luck she'll get fired up next weekend. I'm going to go check on the car tomorrow - snap a pic or two. I'll post up an update if I can.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I don't think your valve covers are on wrong -- it's just the breather. It looks like the PCV valve is where it should be. I don't think the valve covers are interchangeable. Otherwise it would be a pain to add oil if yours were switched.

Your car looks great. I'll be in Santa Clara next week for a wedding. Have fun when you complete your project!!

01vert

Established Member
WOW! love the chrome, gonna look perfect with the alt chromed too, nice to see an "old school" chromed engine bay. These are my favorites, along with the custom powdercoated bays. Looks terrific.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
Well, it's all finally starting to come together.... literally :D

Decided to spend some time down at the shop, take a few pics, and talk to the guys about where we're going on this build and the short term plans I have for the car. Found out the last of the chrome pieces will be arriving next week - so I'm looking at Friday or Saturday for the work to be completed, and then the fun part - dyno tuneing and driving the beast back home.

Work has now been completed in a few areas... the Eratispeed rotors, Magnapacks, & the Steeda adjustable billet aluminum lower control arms came in last week, and have been installed. This finishes up the build for all but the final phase of the blower install. So stoked - here, peep it :)

The rear end assembly is now complete and ready to go. :woot:
052706_01.jpg

I'm very impressed with the Steeda lower control arms. The billit aluminum piece is very substancial and seems well engineered - having a poly bushing up front, and a metal bushing where it attaches to the axle. The adjustable spring perch and roller bearing assembly is a big plus - along with the grease zert to insure that bolt remains well lubricated - so adjustment will always be fast & easy. Besides it being a quality piece - this unit just looks way cool.
052706_02.jpg

The Eratispeed rotors, combined with hawk break pads are surly going to stop the beat a lot better then stock (and stop that squealing once and for all). The looks are A+ in my book.
052706_03.jpg

The polished Procharger & intercooler have been mounted, along with the new a new mass balancer, pulley's, chrome alternator from PA Performance, and all the rest of the engine bling. It's really starting to look cool under the hood.
052706_04.jpg

052706_05.jpg

OK, that's about it so far. The next update will be the last in this buildup - when we finally get to tune the beast and see what numbers we arrive at. Hopefully I'll be off work when this happens so I can be a part of seeing the DABSN8K show her stuff. Getting more pics and the dyno vid will really cap off what has been a long, fun process. :thumbsup:

Wish me luck!

Users who are viewing this thread