Promotion day!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Feb 1990, I started selection in May 1989. Before that I was attached to 5th SFG from the 101st. Why were you curious about my Q-course grad date?

Only because you are making SGM as an 18 series MOS. From my limited understanding of SF looking at it from the outside, it seems its hard to move up to E-9 or past 0-5 in SF. Plus with 27 years in I was wondering how long you have been in SF.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Only because you are making SGM as an 18 series MOS. From my limited understanding of SF looking at it from the outside, it seems its hard to move up to E-9 or past 0-5 in SF. Plus with 27 years in I was wondering how long you have been in SF.
Stiff competition at the top, plus my inability to call stupid shit a brilliant idea has got my ass in a jam or two. Who knows if that helped or hurt?
No problem, I was wondering why the wondering.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
27. I seen some great young guys with 15 years getting pinned on. Must be excellent soldiers to do it in that time frame.

or,, it could be that you are just a total **** up and took this LONG to git'er done :rolling:

seriously don't know how i missed this a week ago ... congrats man ... really well done. My dad retired as an E-9 out of the Air Force before you even joined the army LOL

AlanSVT

Established Member
Congrats... I am a E6 with 7 years. But if you ever come down to bragg me know.... We can knock back a beer or two....

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Congratulations for a well deserved promotion. If only 1% of the enlisted force ever reaches E9, then the percentage in SF must be much lower. Carry on Big Dog.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Old Soldiers never retire .. they just fade away :lol:

stangaholic280

Established Member
:eek: dam, how did you pull that much rank that fast? what branch are you in? What is your mos/afsc?

It's not too difficult. I made E5 at 4 years (Air Force). BTZ and 1st time passing WAPS test. I'll test for E6 in 2 years and sew it on within a year after that so that'll put me at 7. Hoping to be commissioned by then though lol.

To the OP, congrats SGM!! Quite an accomplishment!! :beer:

Dusten

Established Member
:eek: dam, how did you pull that much rank that fast? what branch are you in? What is your mos/afsc?

different MOS/RATES advance at different speeds.
I made E4 in 18 months, E5 in 2 years, E6 in 6 years. My buddy just made E7 at 10.5 years. But I work with guys that are E5's at 11 years.

truefiveo

Established Member
It's not too difficult. I made E5 at 4 years (Air Force). BTZ and 1st time passing WAPS test. I'll test for E6 in 2 years and sew it on within a year after that so that'll put me at 7. Hoping to be commissioned by then though lol.

To the OP, congrats SGM!! Quite an accomplishment!! :beer:

You just gotta be book smart!
Ive had so many guys in ALS put on E-5 and couldn't even past the basic AF PT test....not counting the ones on non deployable waivers.

Those should be grounds for non promotion, IMO.
Absolutely no reason why someone on 6 different non deployable waivers, but they were book smart enough to pass a written test should be putting on E5.

The EPR system is inflated these days which affects BTZ system also and the whole promotion system needs to be revamped.

I feel Airmen need to sit at the SrA rank a little longer and actually learn the role of what a junior NCO in training does responsibility wise.
One point and time SrA were the liaison between the E1-E3 and E-5 NCOs but of course times change.

Now you end up with what the Air Force has now....promoting kids and babies to pushover NCOs who are so incompetent that giving 5 EPRs are standard for them, because they are afraid to be upfront and honest about their troops performance.

I prefer the Army/Marine testing standards where NCOs are leading by example and are proven both mentally and physically.

Congrats Dale on the promotion thanks for paving the way!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread