Proper gun SAFETY always comes first, for reasons like this.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Always remember. If you aren't firing your gun at a gun range, put it down. Sad that a kid had to die because of his father's stupidity. This will haunt him forever.

http://fox4kc.com/2016/07/05/the-gun-didnt-kill-my-boy-i-did-father-accidentally-kills-son-at-gun-range/

SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. — Stephen Brumby had a long list of hobbies and interests, and at 14-years old, he was starting to catch up to his father and older siblings.

He loved tennis, bass fishing and playing worship piano at church, a talent he inherited from his grandmother, his father said.

He also enjoyed shooting, a skill he learned from his father, William Clayton Brumby. Target practice was one of those things Stephen was poised to surpass his father on at the gun range.

Because their parents keep guns in the home for self-defense, each of the seven Brumby children learned gun safety at an appropriate age, Clayton Brumby said.

“We wanted our kids to be aware of guns,” he said. “I wanted them to be comfortable around them and understand them.”

None of those lessons made a difference on Sunday, when Clayton Brumby accidentally shot Stephen to death at a Sarasota, Florida, gun range.

‘Every round in the gun is your responsibility’

Clayton Brumby, 64, pulled the trigger while trying to fish a hot shell casing out of the back of his shirt, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. The investigation continues, but at the moment there are no charges pending against the father, the department said in a statement Monday.

Clayton Brumby does not dispute the department’s account and accepts responsibility for his son’s death. He hopes the incident serves as a reminder to parents to be vigilant in anything they do with their children, bearing in mind that anything can happen despite anyone’s best intentions and preparation.

“The gun didn’t kill my boy. I did,” he told CNN.

“Every round in the gun is your responsibility. When it fires you need to stand to account for it. That’s what I’ve spent the last two days doing, accounting for my operating error.”

‘I made a mistake’

Clayton Brumby brought Stephen, his 24-year-old son and his 12-year-old daughter to High Noon Gun Range for target shooting, just as he did once or twice a month.

After Clayton Brumby fired a round at a target the bullet casing was ejected from the handgun.

The casing bounced off the wall and fell into the back of his shirt, the sheriff’s office said.

In an attempt to remove the casing , the elder Brumby reached behind his back with the hand that was holding the gun. While doing so, he inadvertently pulled the trigger, the department said.

The father said the round hit the ceiling and came down on his son.

“It was a very freak accident. I made a mistake,” he said.

“It doesn’t take but a split second for something to go wrong and that could be [the case] with a gun, it could be with the wrong medicine, it could be with any number of things.”

‘I can’t fix this’

Middle son Stephen’s death leaves a big hole in his family’s heart, his father said.

Stephen was as sweet and gregarious as they come, always willing to help his mother clean the house, fix the television or log on to email.

To his youngest sister with spina bifida, he was her caregiver and best friend, his father said.

Stephen’s family has set up an online fundraiser for funeral and other expenses.

As he entered his teen years, Stephen was beginning to take an interest in family conversations around the dinner table about life’s bigger questions, his father said.

His family had high hopes for him. After finishing homeschooling with his mother, his parents hoped he would follow his older siblings to college.

What would he have done? Clayton Brumby is not sure. At 14, Stephen was just beginning to focus his interests.

But his father is confident he would have been successful, no matter what he did.

“He had a heart that was bigger than he was,” Clayton Brumby said. “He was always thinking outside the box.”

The incident has not changed his views of guns, he said. He still intends to keep them in the home and use them for self-defense of his home and family.

“I can’t fix this. It’s just a great loss but thankfully we’ll see him someday. I have a feeling he’s on a great lake out there.”

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
1.) What is playing "worship" piano at church?
2.) The reaction the father had to a hot piece of brass down his shirt seems to be a normal one albeit a bit over-reactionary. If your full attention is not on the rifle, your finger shouldn't be near the trigger. Hot brass down the shirt is uncomfortable and even painful but it isn't like you dropped molten iron on your flesh.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Never never never point your gun anywhere but down range. Who hasn't gotten brass in their shirt before? Just a really dumb boneheaded move that would more often than not not hurt anyone, but that's why you don't take chances.

oldmodman

Established Member
The son was killed by a ricochet? That must have been one freak shot. Every pistol round I am familiar with would have penetrated the ceiling far enough to get stuck in it. Not bounce off with enough force to kill someone. I wonder what the ceiling was made of? Concrete?

The poor father must feel terrible. Along with the rest of the family.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
The son was killed by a ricochet? That must have been one freak shot. Every pistol round I am familiar with would have penetrated the ceiling far enough to get stuck in it. Not bounce off with enough force to kill someone. I wonder what the ceiling was made of? Concrete?

The poor father must feel terrible. Along with the rest of the family.

Read the article again. The brass ricocheted off the wall and got in his shirt, and in the process of reaching for the brass, he pointed his gun backwards and shot his son who was behind him.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Read the article again. The brass ricocheted off the wall and got in his shirt, and in the process of reaching for the brass, he pointed his gun backwards and shot his son who was behind him.

I think you need to read it again. It says he shot the ceiling and it ricocheted.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

From the article it was a ricochet that killed the son too.

The father said the round hit the ceiling and came down on his son.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Weird. In the headline it stated that he pointed the gun backwards with his finger still on the trigger. Apologies Oldmodman. Either way, I hope this haunts him. It could have been anyone in the path of that bullet, no thanks to his carelessness. Hell, he could have shot himself doing that, too.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Weird. In the headline it stated that he pointed the gun backwards with his finger still on the trigger. Either way, I hope this haunts him. It could have been anyone in the path of that bullet, no thanks to his carelessness. Hell, he could have shot himself doing that, too.

I'm sure it will haunt him forever you...

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member

Blown 89

Established Member
Public range scare me for this very reason. It's why I got certified for a private bay. The amount of people that play fast and loose with the rules is shocking. I guarantee you this wasn't the first time he did something dangerous, it was just the first time all of the stars lined up.

2001sleeper

Established Member
Public range scare me for this very reason. It's why I got certified for a private bay. The amount of people that play fast and loose with the rules is shocking. I guarantee you this wasn't the first time he did something dangerous, it was just the first time all of the stars lined up.
This post sums up the reasons why we don't need everybody carrying a gun just because they can.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
The dad ****ed up royally (obviously). With his experience, reaching for the casing with a gun in his hand, should have never crossed his mind. Being left handed, I've had a lot of casings pop into my shirt thanks to most ejecting to the right and narrow stalls. It's hot, but not enough to cause you to go grabbing recklessly to get it out instead of laying the gun down first.

At least he admits it's all on him and no outside causes (gun, casper,etc).

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
The dad ****ed up royally (obviously). With his experience, reaching for the casing with a gun in his hand, should have never crossed his mind. Being left handed, I've had a lot of casings pop into my shirt thanks to most ejecting to the right and narrow stalls. It's hot, but not enough to cause you to go grabbing recklessly to get it out instead of laying the gun down first.

At least he admits it's all on him and no outside causes (gun, casper,etc).

Yea, I'll give him that. He completely admits fault.
Edited by Staff. Keep the political crap outta here.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I cant believe he actually reached with the hand he had the gun in. Talk about the poorest decision you could have made in pretty much all those instances. You have a free hand and then the hand that is full because it has a pistol in it, and you use that hand to try and grab something? I would never want to be in a stack with this guy to say the least.

Machdup1

Established Member
I've been in this situation and always went through the gun clearing drill and placing the firearm on the firing line bench before addressing the brass situation. I've seen many others lose muzzle control when it happened to them as I suspect others have seen.

He made a safety mistake that will destroy his life. Safety mistakes that cause harm are unforgivable because they are avoidable. If you always follow the gun safety rules it is nearly impossible to hurt someone with a gun. He violated the two most important rules.

I do not wish the man ill will though, he will suffer enough as it is after killing his son.

I'm betting that there was a steel beam in the ceiling, off which the bullet ricocheted.

GloomySVT

LolUMad?
Established Member
Given the other gun thread, there seems to be a lot of liberal ammunition in this one.

Definitely not my intention, as I highlighted safety and not control, in my thread's title. Huge difference. I do see what you mean though in terms of perception to fit an agenda

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread