birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
fuuu.png

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I love how changes in the retirement plan are proposed by former military members who are already enjoying the current retirement plan. What a bunch of ass holes.

SVT4ME

Established Member
What are the proposed changes? A year or two before I retired in 2004 they inacted an average of your final three to determine your retirement salary. That cost me almost two hundred bucks a month. Plus when I first came in, people who retired had free medical cost and I don't remember the year that retirees had to start paying.

bnd3672

Established Member
This will work fine in today's overmanned state. But when the economy rebounds and there are competitive jobs in the civilian sector, people will be getting out and there will eventually be a shortage of senior leadership... I know that the retirement program was my biggest incentive to join, and if it changes, I'll likely be out after my contract expires.

steves04cobra

Established Member
I've been talking with all the NCOs in my unit from E5 to E8 and 95% are saying if they change the retirement to this proposed retirement they will not re-up. The way I see it is almost everybody thats between 8 and 12 years will get out.

SVT4ME

Established Member
We all know that they can change stuff and we have no say! As per my pervious thread they did it to me twice before I retired in 2004. Hope they save you guys!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
We all know that they can change stuff and we have no say! As per my pervious thread they did it to me twice before I retired in 2004. Hope they save you guys!

Yeah- they can and do change things at the drop of a hat.

What my proposal would be is that Congress would have to match any retirement plan they impose on the military. They get 100% plus full benefits after just one term right now which is a bunch of bs as far as I'm concerned. When they cut their retirement to 38% and have to pay for their healthcare etc then we can talk.

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I think this is just another form of force shaping. The jobs that they want people to keep doing (combat controller, PJ, EOD, etc) will continue to get their bonus to convince them to stay in. But jobs that can be contracted out (services, COMM, gate guard etc) They want less people staying in and having to give them retirement. If they can get people to come in get a good GI Bill deal then punch, is their goal I believe. I can tell you one thing though if this shit goes through they will get their wish with me I'm punching out. I've only been in 6+ and last that I read I would only get 1/4 of 50% at 20. Yeah eff that!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
The 20 year 50% retirement is what keeps most people in the military(in case you did not know that).

Everyone puts up with PCS moves, deloyments, extra duty..etc because they see the light at the end of the tunnel at 20 year mark.

I believe this will gut the mid level experience guys say 8-12 years....In the long run, this will end up costing more as we need to constantly train new people due to even higher attrition rates.

I saw some Marine pilot was on the board who recommended this..what a traitor to the service that clown is...

Some Army douche Major when asked by the Military Times stated he thought this was a great idea....Major has 6-8 years in and planned on getting ou once his physician contract expired....please get out and don't worry about people going for retirement.

Fuerza

Established Member
I will stay in regardless of what happens. I really like what I do, I'm about to deploy and I have no reservations about it. I've been a member of TSP for a few years now, I don't have a lot in there but I'll make it work if this does happen.

I do agree that bonuses will come back into play should this happen. Bonuses, school options, assignment of choice will come back.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I think this is just another form of force shaping. The jobs that they want people to keep doing (combat controller, PJ, EOD, etc) will continue to get their bonus to convince them to stay in. But jobs that can be contracted out (services, COMM, gate guard etc) They want less people staying in and having to give them retirement. If they can get people to come in get a good GI Bill deal then punch, is their goal I believe. I can tell you one thing though if this shit goes through they will get their wish with me I'm punching out. I've only been in 6+ and last that I read I would only get 1/4 of 50% at 20. Yeah eff that!

+1. I have 8+ years in right now and if this actually gets implemented I will likely be punching my card soon too. What I will try to do is reclass to intel(hurts to think about, love combat arms so much) in order to get a good federal job when I'm out. Combat line experience+intel experience+any 4 year degree=a shoe in.

If alot of us that are right in the middle of our 20 years get out thats really going to hurt the military in the near future. A big chunk of the would be senior leadership in a few years punches out. God help us when we have to go to war again.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I feel sorry for those of you that are effected by these proposed changes. On my ship its talk of a lot of senior people.

I'm lucky that I "missed" most of it due to when I retire.. (next Tuesday)

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
So how about the Fed. pension plans then, if the military is supposed to make cuts so should all. Not fair to take it away from the military when they sacrifice and so do their families in ways civilian federal employees never do, I've seen the laziness when i worked at the FDA, and that is one of the better agencies. Gotta trim the fat everywhere else before you make an argument to take the food outta the mouths of our vets and their families.

I am looking at getting into the Air Force and retirement was one of the benefits of staying the full 20. Now if they took that benefit I may be less likely to drag my family around and make a full career out of it.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
So how about the Fed. pension plans then, if the military is supposed to make cuts so should all. Not fair to take it away from the military when they sacrifice and so do their families in ways civilian federal employees never do, I've seen the laziness when i worked at the FDA, and that is one of the better agencies. Gotta trim the fat everywhere else before you make an argument to take the food outta the mouths of our vets and their families.

As a Fed, I work 20 years and I get 20% of my pay. So when they cut you to 20% then you can call me and bitch. Until then please don't comment about things you don't know.

Fuerza

Established Member
Really surprised nobody is signing the petition! I mean I guess we will all sit around on the internet and complain and not do anything about it!!!

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Military should be the last entity making cuts in a time of over stretched war IMO. Ridiculous idea, i was going to head back in probably after im vested in my current employers Pension in another 3 years, but if they are going to change the retirement around to something this radical then F that.

clbailey

Established Member
The "military" is way different than how you knew it, id bet. Its basically a daggon daycare now. Treat people like kids, guess what, they friggen act like em.

Users who are viewing this thread