Pros and Cons of the Lightning???

04mysticsvt

Established Member
Hey guys I already own a 04 cobra and looking into buying a lightning. My girlfriend is actually going to be driving it. She goes with all us to the track and wants some thing she can race too. But I would like to know the good and not so good about them. How do they do in the snow with all that power and torqe? Towing? Gas Mileage? And any other thoughts as well. Thanks for the help. :)

MJG

Established Member
Gas mileage isnt very good, a S/C 5.4 isn't going to take you too far on a tank, even with a light foot.
Snow, with a good set of snow tires I've seen them do well. Towing there is no issues, boats, trailers, car trailer etc.
Throw on a pulley, intake, plugs, tune, trac bars and tires and your chick will be in the 12s and while still towing your Cobra to the track :)

Cheers

04mysticsvt

Established Member
Gas mileage isnt very good, a S/C 5.4 isn't going to take you too far on a tank, even with a light foot.
Snow, with a good set of snow tires I've seen them do well. Towing there is no issues, boats, trailers, car trailer etc.
Throw on a pulley, intake, plugs, tune, trac bars and tires and your chick will be in the 12s and while still towing your Cobra to the track :)

Cheers

HAHA thats exactly what i felt. I could just picture that beauty pulling mine and then unhooking and pulling 12's. lol I found a fairly nice one for 19000 with only 11k on it. Its an Dark Graphite 03. But someone put some odd flames on it in a light blue pin striping. lol Wonder if I could get them off. That gas mileage is a bad thing lol She already drives a 04 grand cherokee that gets like 15 so I'm hoping it won't be much different. :rockon:

Dusten

Established Member
daily driving it wont be, but towing I never saw better than 9 mpg. Just know the stock rods are garbage and you are limited to about 450rwhp

04mysticsvt

Established Member
Ya seen that first hand with the rods. My buddy put a hundred shot on his and bent one. lol But 9 mpg wow that sucks, but I don't think it would be much different than the jeep lol.

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
Gas I get 16L/100km (Deal with it I'm Canadian I don't know what that is MPG). Towing is GREAT! Except say buh bye to your MPG, I towed a buddies MR2 and it wasn't pretty, but it will tow anything i've thrown at it(Boats, Cars, Sleds). Payload I haven't had anything Heavy but did help a guy at work move and it took a couple 6 ft. long Dressers like a champ. I stored it in the winter so I don't know how well it will do, but I have heard as long as your not an idiot and you put some weight in the back you'll be fine.

P.S. You don't buy a Lightning to save money!

Last edited:

02_Lightning

Established Member
The Lightning makes a good daily driver. I have had two here in northeast Ohio and I loved them both - my first one was a daily driver, and the second was a garage queen. I bought a red 1999 Lightning and drove that daily... in both Ohio and Michigan winters and I never put winter tires on. I put 50k quick miles on the red 99 and did absolutely everything with that truck. I used it as a truck, took it to the track, and did car shows with it. I was hard on that thing and it was still strong at 50k miles. I did just fine in the snow and rain with it and the red paint was very, very strong. I was never a fan of red, but it took the abuse wonderfully. My gas mileage was right around 15-16mpg on mixed driving and it was a very comfortable truck for all purpose use. It is a strong engine as long as you don't go over 415rwhp on a stock bottom end. My second truck was a 2002 true blue truck and purchased for a collectible. I did minor bolt-on's and was at 400 rwhp and it sat that way for a few years. The best time it ran was a 12.20 @ 115mph and I was happy with that. After that, It just sat in storage for a few more years. I sold it back in May and have been daily driving a 2010 Cadillac CTS-V 6spd.
If you are looking to buy, look for something 2001 and up to be on the safe side. Also, if you are going to modify, make sure you have a good tune lined up and have all the right parts that play together. That is the key to the Lightning - never stretch it to the very edge and always make sure you have some safety factor in there.

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
If you dont like the crappy mileage you get when towing, I've found a solution to get better mileage.

Step 1: Remove Hitch
Step 2: Purchase Bed Cover & Install
Step 3: Enjoy Better MPG

Seriously though the pro's outweigh the cons with a L. I mean you get a very quick, rare, and slick looking truck. The looks you get from other drivers and compliments you receive is another perk also. The only thing you have to remember is that these trucks can be money pits when you start cranking up HP & boost.

AzSonicSnake

Slowpiece
Established Member
i daily drive mine and love it! and i see 15mpg on a weekly basis. its been a blast to drive every day. i just need to get a trailer so i can tow my cobra to the track.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
My mods in are sig, and I get 12/13 city, 18 Hwy (cruise control at 65mph).

Mine is not a DD, but on nice days I've been known to drive it to work.

Changing the plugs is a BITCH, I don't care what anyone says, it sucks.

That being said I don't see myself ever getting rid of it. Truly sweet truck

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
It's ok, I wouldn't say its a good deal.

There are fully built trucks going for less than that, although the mileage would be a little higher.

If low miles is really important to you, it's not a bad price.

JoeRacer

Established Member
Pros: Best looking modern truck ever made. Good handling/acceleration for a stock truck. Automatic is easy in the daily grind. Tows my Cobra without a problem :). It's a truck!

Cons: Gas mileage. It weighs 4560lbs with 1/4 tank of gas, 170lbs driver, and no spare. Factory rods are weak sauce.

Bottom Line: If your girlfriend can stand the bad gas mileage and single cab then I think it is a wonderful daily driver. Just don't mod it too much without a forged bottom end!

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
hopefully picking mine up next week...its replacing an 07 screw...so gas mileage wont change...im already used to 14-17mpg lol

Dusten

Established Member
So 19k for a 2003 with 11k a good deal?
Its a decent deal, locally dealers are asking about 20k for trucks with 30-40k on them

Pros: Best looking modern truck ever made. Good handling/acceleration for a stock truck. Automatic is easy in the daily grind. Tows my Cobra without a problem :). It's a truck!

Cons: Gas mileage. It weighs 5250lbs with 1/4 tank of gas and no driver. Factory rods are weak sauce.

Bottom Line: If your girlfriend can stand the bad gas mileage and single cab then I think it is a wonderful daily driver. Just don't mod it too much without a forged bottom end!
you have the heaviest lightning on the planet. Neither of mine have weighed over 4790

ViciousJay

Established Member

i averaged 16 mpg on the street and 23 highway, and i was FARRRRRRRRR from stock

Last edited:

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
all pros no cons! definatley the nicest truck still out there, can still hold its own vs. many vehicles on the road still, can tow, haul whatever you got, still a eye catcher.
and no mileage is not a issue....its a TRUCK.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
pros: everything... cons: only seats two to enjoy the ride...

but then there is the harley too.

Users who are viewing this thread