Pros and cons of turbo compared to centri

HamMach1

Established Member
Found a guy selling a turbo kit but just wanted to know if turbo is something I really want to do or stick to my original plan of going with a D1SC. Anyone have any input? Overall install? Tuning? Maintenance? The block is stock for now so I would like to keep her on a safe tune around 450rwhp. I am guessing for the turbo it would require less boost to see those numbers than say a D1?

4.6pimp

Established Member
It's only pro's as far as the turbo is concerned.... more power less boost. Mid range torque 100 times better. I went from a d1sc @ 11#'s on my mach to a on3 70mm turbo kit. There is no comparison!!!!! Went from 490 and 435 at the wheels with the D1. @ 11#'s to 526 and 538 @ 11#'s with the turbo. The car was a animal compared to the procharger. I was running as much as 13#'s on the stock bottom end when a piston came apart. Never had it on the dyno on 13#'s but I quess it was making around 550+ whp and 560+ wtq. Go turbo and don't look back.....

HamMach1

Established Member
I am not familiar with turbos. What turbo size or kit is recommended for starting out but has lots of room for improvement? So maybe like an equivalent of a D1SC or something.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Im just not a fan of all the belt slip and alignment issues associated with the centri blowers. I am biased towards turbo obviously but they both will run great. Turbos are a lot more crammed inthe engine bay and a lot more piping so that is a downfall.

If you dont have longtubes already go turbo, if you have longtubes throw a blower on it.

mikeracing

Established Member
if you are bracket racing n/a or roots/twin screw

if you are grudge racing or road racing turbo

i have not seen many cars at bracket races that consistently run from one run to another

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
it seems like those centri blowers are always needing maintenance as well

seals and such fail in turbos as well...theres probably thousands of centris to every turbo car so of course you see more of that kinda stuff.

Ive got a D1 going on my built motor right now but would love to go turbo at some point

with turbos you do have to deal with all the piping, usually need an aftermarket k-member (not really a big deal but its there...), depending on the kit you could have oil drain issues etc...

Last edited:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I would love to do a turbo M1 build.

Just wish I could hide the turbo, compared to a KB.

Users who are viewing this thread