Pros & Cons of a stall converter in a Lightning?

Tx02SVT

Established Member
With just a few basic mods on the truck...how much would you say a stall converter would lower my 1/4 time? What about trap speed?

Mods:

Bassani High Flow Midpipe, Bassani Catback, 12" S&B Filter, FTVB, Lakewood Slappers.

Adding the stall converter, would I see a good .2-.3 drop in my 1/4 ET?

I know this is going to make the gas mileage worse, but does it put any extra stress on the tranny? I don't wanna join the blown tranny club. :(

Any info is appreciated.

98RICKSTANG

Banned
freind of mine hase it but he doesnt use his as a DD!i know with riding with him its alot of fun!and dont see how it would cause stress on the motor?but it does shoot you gas milage to hell,but who care as long as you beat the person next to you right!

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
I'd say slicks would be a must with a higher stall. I'd also say that a 2-3 tenth drop in et would be for sure. The only drawback to a higher stall would be the extra heat it would produce, so a bigger cooler would be a real good idea.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
I just ordered one Friday. It's advertised .5 seconds faster 1/4 mi times. We'll see, but I've driven vehicles with stall converters and they feel awesome. Check with LFP, they are having a special. :rockon:

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
well that sucks to hear about gas mileage... im looking at a 2400 myself. time to start looking for a new DD in the fall for next winter.

98RICKSTANG

Banned
ITHAULS said:
I'd say slicks would be a must with a higher stall. I'd also say that a 2-3 tenth drop in et would be for sure. The only drawback to a higher stall would be the extra heat it would produce, so a bigger cooler would be a real good idea.
do you mean a bigger tran cooler?

ron_lightning04

Established Member
yeah he ment that im sure and factory tech makes a nice coller and so does or d it self it is for the f-250 and is cheaper lol and a stall is worth about .2 is wha i have seen and with no slicks on the street tires up in smoke but fun just get some DR for the street and traction bars and have fun lol

lates ron,

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
What does driving a truck/car with a stall converter feel like? I don't understand the concept, really...

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Being smaller the engine revs faster, and in simple terms, it doesn't let the power through until it hits the stall speed...so your truck takes off where there is more power-higher in the rpms.

I'm sure there will be better explanations than this.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
This might help- I ordered one of their converters friday-

If you think Ford's SVT Lightning pickup truck is fast, just drive one with a Pro-Torque performance torque converter. It becomes a whole new animal, knocking a half-second or more off the quarter-mile times without adversely affecting day-to-day driveability

Pro-Torque custom tailors a 10 1/2-inch-diameter torque converter to perfectly match SVT Lightning's power curve. Without changing rear gears the supercharged engine gets into boost quicker, then multiplies torque at a greater rate for more performance throughout the power band. "Many torque converter manufacturers are focused simply on stall-speed (the amount of torque converter slip), while Pro-Torque understands that torque multiplication is the key to performance" states Pro-Torque's Joe Rivera.

Dixiesys

Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Being smaller the engine revs faster, and in simple terms, it doesn't let the power through until it hits the stall speed...so your truck takes off where there is more power-higher in the rpms.

I'm sure there will be better explanations than this.

Ok so a stall converter doesn't engage your transmission until the motor is revving at a certain speed?

So when you see "2700 stall converter" this means the transmission doesn't engage until the motor is doing 2700 rpm or more? Is this every gear or just 1st gear (take off?).

Yes I'm a newb to a lotta gearhead stuff and if there's a faq or something on this feel free to point it at me I won't feel offended :D

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Dixiesys said:
Ok so a stall converter doesn't engage your transmission until the motor is revving at a certain speed?

So when you see "2700 stall converter" this means the transmission doesn't engage until the motor is doing 2700 rpm or more? Is this every gear or just 1st gear (take off?).

Yes I'm a newb to a lotta gearhead stuff and if there's a faq or something on this feel free to point it at me I won't feel offended :D

Kinda. There is a difference between stall #s for each converter. There is a reason it's a 2400-2800 stall. I honestly don't remember.

Tranny guys help?? :shrug:

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
its like this.. the stock convertor is like 1500 i think.. so when you have your foot on the brake the truck wont start moving forward until you rev it up to the 1500 rpm... so with a 2400 stall you hold the brake and build the rpm's up to 2400 and then launch getting better 60ft times(with the proper tire)... the higher the rpm the more power you produce. just think of it as a manual tranny and you would want to launch from 3000rpms instead of 1500 in a race....

ShockTherapy

Established Member
.2 is a realistic improvement on your ET in the 1/4. The improvement comes mostly from getting better 60' times because you are getting the truck into the power band quicker. Sometimes your MPH will drop 1-2MPH in the 1/4 if you are hooking good at the track, so don't think somethings wrong if that happens if you put in a stall. It generates more heat in the tranny especially stop and go driving, so a nice tranny cooler is recommended. You will definitely get a little worse gas mileage. Overall it's a great track mod. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread