Pros & Cons of a stall converter in a Lightning?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
FattyMcTrickle said:
I would assume that every time you started the engine would rev higher then a stock stall would before you started moving, correct?

Correct. The higher stall speed torque converter slips until it hits it's designated stall speed. So if you have a 2400 stall, it will slip until it hits 2400rpm then fully engage. You'll still be moving at lower rpm's, just not very much. The slipping it does before 2400rpm is what generates the extra heat and drops gas mileage.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Red03SVT said:
I had a 2800 stall on my '01 camaro and I could BARELY tell the difference. I would imagine a 2400 you would tell even less

-Mike

an ls1 is a whole nother BREED, there TOP END CARS, a stall from 3200 to 4400 in a LS1 will awaken it like a virgin humping a whore, in these L a 24-2800 is just fine.........

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
Achilles said:
an ls1 is a whole nother BREED, there TOP END CARS, a stall from 3200 to 4400 in a LS1 will awaken it like a virgin humping a whore, in these L a 24-2800 is just fine.........

Would still be a little much on the street for an LS1 my friend.

I got mine here:
http://www.protorque.com/nprod/np_svt.htm
I actually bought it from a Local guy that does business with me, but that is the convertor I ordered.

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
how much better is the tranny cooler from LFP than the stock??? It just looks like you tap into the stock lines half way and replace them with braided? How much bigger is it? does it mount in the same spot?? does anyone make a better/bigger one? thanks guys.

smilinjack

Established Member
Don't forget the rotating mass weight too! Not only does the converter weigh less because of its size but it also holds much less fluid. Any loss of rotating mass weight = horsepower gain!!!

PearlBlue L

Still Around
Established Member
98RICKSTANG said:
i wouldent think its worth the money,kinda like a cog drive system nice but the money can be spent somwhere else for a better mod.
once you get to the point of where the only other mods cost way to much then only spending $260ish for something doesnt seem that bad.... and cooler is always better, i want my stock tranny to last me some time until i can afford a monster box.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
ChrisNelson said:
Kinda. There is a difference between stall #s for each converter. There is a reason it's a 2400-2800 stall. I honestly don't remember.

Tranny guys help?? :shrug:

They give a stall range due to the fact that the actual stall speed will vary depending on the weight of the vehicle and the power curve of the engine. i.e. a lighter truck with the same engine/trans/stall will stall less rpm's than the same combo in a heavier truck, and a truck that makes more torque will stall higher than one that has less torque. So, the same converter could vary in stall speed depending on the exact application. (not to mention temperature and other factors)

L's don't need too high of a stall speed since they make so much torque at such a low rpm, but they do need more than stock. Torque converters are actually very complicated, and the perfect one could pick you up 1/2 a second!

redz_02

Established Member
i've never felt that great in trucks using stalls unless they are full out race for driving and towing purposes. Get mods in other areas, I had a 3200 in my z28 just b/c it takes a while for the ls1 to torque up and the stall keeps the rpms high. These trucks have alot more lowend and gearing, plus your going to burn 400-800 bucks and just the converter.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
ITHAULS said:
Torque converters are actually very complicated, and the perfect one could pick you up 1/2 a second!

So that said...who do you recommend?

Thanks.

ITHAULS

GIT'R DUN
Established Member
Methos said:
So that said...who do you recommend?

Thanks.

That's a good question, all I can say is to go with someone who: 1. has experience with L's specifically, and 2. will take the time to ask you questions about what mods you have and what you're using it for. I know that all seems obvious, but as I said, t.c.'s are not one size fits all.

Users who are viewing this thread