Proximity to Quarter-mile Dragstrip

What is your proximity to a quarter-mile dragstrip?

• 0-15 minutes

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • 16-30 minutes

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • 31-45 minutes

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • 46-60 minutes

Votes: 27 18.9%
  • 60-90 minutes

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • too damn far

Votes: 16 11.2%

• Total voters

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
minutes to Moroso Motorsports Park in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Where I used to live I could get to Altanta Dragway in about 40 or so minutes..now since I'm down here In south Ga. I'll have to go to Silver Dollar raceway which is a good ways away i think...like 90 mins

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Ours is closing - damn whiners buy a house near a track, and then bitch about the noise. Next one's 3 hours with traffic.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Originally posted by caveman6666
Ours is closing - damn whiners buy a house near a track, and then bitch about the noise. Next one's 3 hours with traffic.

I'm about 35mi from www.islanddragway.com

Story is the same as above though. They love to complain after they put up houses next to the place.

It's been there since the early days of NHRA and Big Daddy DG.

It's in the country but I love it.

KOTH

Established Member
I posted the poll for a few reasons.

Since we talk drag racing alot in this forum, I was curious to see how many of us live close to a 1/4 mile dragstrip. For me moving to Florida put me close to Moroso and reignited my love of muscle cars and eventually led to the Cobra purchase. I don't plan to run my car much but its the whole scene that appeals to me.

Second reason was as some folks are discussing, I notice the population moving towards the dragstrip and I wonder how many years before a large footprint of land in Florida becomes worth more than running a dragstrip. I think we are ok for a while as there are some other industrial activities near by. Its great having the track close to civilization especially for racers and fans who travel here for big race days.

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
1hour and 45 minutes to the closest strip for me and its not the best of strips either. little over 3 hours to a couple better ones. We do have a closer on in the works which will be nice.

03DOHC

Established Member
Closest one to me is Infineon Raceway, aka Sears Point. It's about 35 miles away but I would have to drive through San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge to get to it. Usually that means sitting in CA traffic. I would also have to take a day off of work as they open it on wednesday afternoons. Not a convenient arrangement for me and why I have have not gone yet. Maybe one of these days.

Last time I went was with my '97 Cobra and I managed to get in 3 runs before they went into brackets.

straightliner1

Established Member
I used to be about 10 minutes from my local track when I lived in Medford, OR but now that I moved back to Cali, I'm about 75 minutes from Sac Raceway...Or I could head south to Famoso in Bakersfield - 3 hours. Infineon (formerly Sears Point) is about 2 hours west.

Last edited:

predator

Established Member
I am about an hour from VMP in Petersburg, VA. Nice track....usually pretty busy, but lots of opportunity to get some time in the schedule. Colonial Beach was a bit closer, but they ended up changing to 1/8 mi track a few years ago. A few of those just up the road too. There are a few 1/4 mi tracks in MD that are much further away.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
About a hour from two 1/4 tracks. Darlington,SC and Rockingham,NC
Also there's a 1/8 mile track about 35 minutes away(Jefferson-Pageland,SC) and another that is roughly a hour.(Mooresville,NC)

Billy

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
lets see:

-Capital is about 25min away from me and it is a decent track but far from a good track.
-75-80 is about 30min also and is an okay track, but worse then capital.
-Mason Dixon is about 45min away is the defination of pure trash.
-MIR is about an 1hr 30min away but is the best track around, they take care of there track.
-Cecil County is about 1hr 15min away, it is also a very good track and is taken care of well.

So I got 5 close enough for me to drive too, but I go to Capital 90% of the time. never though there would be 5 tracks in Maryland...did ya?

slam

Established Member
Wall Dragway is pretty close to use .. about 20 mins I think, I never really pay attention to the time it takes to get there...

EPCobra

1 Crazy Cobra
Established Member
20 min. from a track on an old airport but it doesn't have a clock. One hour from a track with a clock

KOTH

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Closest one to me is Infineon Raceway, aka Sears Point. It's about 35 miles away but I would have to drive through San Francisco and across the Golden Gate Bridge to get to it. Usually that means sitting in CA traffic. I would also have to take a day off of work as they open it on wednesday afternoons. Not a convenient arrangement for me and why I have have not gone yet. Maybe one of these days.

Last time I went was with my '97 Cobra and I managed to get in 3 runs before they went into brackets.

I've been out by Infineon. Seems like a cool track to run. So they don't have any nightime test and tune sessions for the sportsman class?

lethal

Established Member
I'm 55 miles from Moroso, and I plan to start going every 1-2 months. Our SVTOA is going to rent out the tracks and we're planning to do runs for ~5 hours. If your interested Koth, I'll pm you when it gets set up. In order to attend you'd need to be an SVTOA member, if you've had your car less then a year, your fine, but most of us will have had the car more, so make sure you renew. It pays for the insurance at the track, and its only $40 + you get the magazine and other junk. The estimated cost per person is like $90 to $100. I'll know more in a month or two.

We had one sechedule for September 2nd, but we were a few people short, needed like 25 people to make it happen.

John

stang99

10 minutes from LACR and it's $15 to run all night from 5-10 on Wed and Fri. Cheap racing and well organized so you can get enough runs in to make it worth your while. You get used to the 2710' elevation and the harsh weather conditions and you start running against the track and your own previous results. It's still a kick to run an 03 Cobra down the 1/4 full out.

Users who are viewing this thread