PS3 problems

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
Ok so the other day I bought a PS3 and I have been playing the new call of duty game. I want to play online but I am have a few difficulties. First I am using a cord to connect my PS3 to my modem. My modem only has one port so I have to unplug my computer cord for the internet and plug in the ps3. So when I go to the menu to run the test to complete my install on my ps3 it takes for ever and it keeps telling my it has timed out and cant find a IP adress. Whats going on, is it my modem, internet provider or what guys?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
couple of things to try, go to your network setting and make sure that when you plug the cable onto your ps3, that you set your connection to wired. and not wireless. reset your connection setting and it should pop right on.

you can add a router to your modem and then you can still play while your pc is hooked up.
if this still doesnt work, PM me with your number and i can talk you though some things.

it can be confusing the first time you go to connect.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Problem #1: You bought a PS3 instead of an Xbox.

The ps3 is in a much better position now than it ever was. I'd much rather deal with a setup issue than worrying about when the rrod will hit. As long as the 360 treats me somewhat well (only one rrod in 2.5 yrs) I'll stick with it. Once I start experiencing some of the horror stories like others have dealt with, I'll buy a ps3 w/o question. The only game I am highly anticipating is Bioshock 2 and since it will be on both systems, the choice won't be difficult.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
prolly due to the fact your connection needs a username/password to get online (PPPoE).

i dunno if you can set this up with a PS3/360, however with a Router you can setup that way and the router then knows how to connect through your modem and everything attached to the router is always online. You set the router to PPPoE or whatever type of connection and your username/password and viola.

Jroc

Established Member
Buy a Linksys wireless router and if you can't get it to connect them call their customer service, and they will walk you through it until you get it connected. They'll have you go to 192.168.1.20 address and get everything adjusted right. Their customer service is like MM in that it is the shit. Great customer service. They helped me with mine when I could figure it out, and it turned out to be the WEB address.(I believe thats what its called) It ended up just being my phone #.

Here what I have. It works great.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-WRT54GL-Wireless-G-Broadband-Compatible/dp/B000BTL0OA/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_0_map"]Amazon.com: Linksys-Cisco WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router (Compatible with Linux): Electronics[/ame]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread